Dropping the Cup

Popeye

The junior hockey Spokane Chiefs won the Memorial Cup the other day and then preceded to drop it on the ice and break it. The Memorial Cup can roughly be defined as junior hockey's equivalent of the Stanley Cup.

Werbung:
The junior hockey Spokane Chiefs won the Memorial Cup the other day and then preceded to drop it on the ice and break it. The Memorial Cup can roughly be defined as junior hockey's equivalent of the Stanley Cup.

I saw this the other day. How terribly embarrassing, and being a hockey player and like most hockey players, I am supersticious, especially about trophies and this means some bad mojo.
In his defense though, it does appear there as a loose bolt or something that caused the slip. At least that is all one could hope for in this case. As a side note, the Memorial Cup is quite a prestigious championship to win and I do congratulate the Spokane team on thier victory and only hope those players will be lucky enough to win another championship on this or a higher level. But dropping the trophy is long thought to be a curse.

Back