Email Tax Coming

KeepOurFreedoms

Email Tax Coming

NY Times | May 28, 2007
Brendan Carlin and John Steele

The era of tax-free e-mail, Internet shopping and broadband connections could end this fall, if recent proposals in the U.S. Congress prove successful. State and local governments this week resumed a push to lobby Congress for far-reaching changes on two different fronts: gaining the ability to impose sales taxes on Net shopping, and being able to levy new monthly taxes on DSL and other Internet-service connections. One senator is even predicting taxes on e-mail.

Pro-tax advocates this week advanced a flurry of proposals pushing in that direction. A bill was introduced that would usher in mandatory sales tax collection for Internet purchases. Then, during a House of Representatives hearing the same day, politicians weighed whether to let a temporary ban on Net access taxes lapse when it expires on November 1. A House backer of another pro-sales tax bill said to expect a final version by July.

The response to the moves in CNET News.com's TalkBack forum was overwhelmingly negative, mostly along antitax convictions. However, some readers took a bigger-picture approach to the situation.

"Half the reason the Internet has become so successful is because the government has had little involvement."
-- CNET News.com reader

"Half the reason the Internet has become so successful is because the government has had little involvement," wrote one reader to the forum.

The U.S. Congress is also poised to create a set of massive new government databases that all employers must use to investigate the immigration status of current and future employees or face stiff penalties. The so-called Employment Eligibility Verification System would be established as part of a bill that senators began debating on Monday. The procedure that is likely to continue through June and would represent the most extensive rewrite of immigration and visa laws in a generation.

Because anyone who fails a database check would be out of a job, the proposed database already has drawn comparisons with the "no-fly list" and is being criticized by civil libertarians and business groups.

All employers--at least 7 million, according to the U.S. Chamber of Commerce--would be required to verify identity documents provided by both existing employees and potential hires, the legislation says. The data, including Social Security numbers, would be provided to Homeland Security, on penalty of perjury, and the government databases would provide a work authorization confirmation within three business days.

Werbung:
Yeah, I read about this yesterday. The greedy thieves just can't help themselves. They have to tax everything that moves, or else they're just not happy. The Republicans are on board with this as well as the Democrats.

Which is another good reason to vote both of them out of Washington in 2008.

Yeah, I read about this yesterday. The greedy thieves just can't help themselves. They have to tax everything that moves, or else they're just not happy. The Republicans are on board with this as well as the Democrats.

Interesting that no one on this board seems to care.

It's all about making sure you "pay your fair share".
Locally, there is a referendum to stop a sales tax that is financing a rail system nobody but govco wants. Govco's response is that they will have to raise property tax to pay for the rail system. WTF? They just don't get the fact that the citizens are doing this to stop the spending on the rail system. They can't get it through their thick heads that we are tired of being taxed everytime we turn. It is like an addiction to them, they have to keep stealing that money, the thought of reducing spending, or even just keeping spending constant is foreign to them. They just want more and more.

enforcing this could become a real problem im not inclined it will happen any time soon

I have no objection to paying higher taxes if my community and nation are provided with real services that would enhance the lives of the general public. But there is already too much waste on boondoggles, the military and generally busybody nosiness that pries into our personal affairs to be happy with this. And until the government can get a grip on the deficit, I don't want to hear about walls, healthcare or more sabre-waving at countries or boogymen we don't like.

I'm a bit surprised that Congress is willing to be this unpopular! This is a stupid venture that will make many who voted them in regret it.

-Castle

Republican Senator Introduces Bill Which Would Tax Internet Purchases

Libertarians Prefer Current Successful Online Fiscal Policy

(Washington, DC) - If you are one of the millions of people who purchases airplane tickets online or buys items through online sites like eBay or Amazon.com, you might have to start paying sales taxes on your purchases.

"U.S. Senator Mike Enzi, R-Wyo., introduced legislation [on May 22] that would level the playing field for all in-store, catalog and online retailers so each has the same sales tax responsibilities," states Senator Enzi's website.

While Enzi insists the bill "would not increase taxes," the Sales Tax Fairness and Simplification Act would open the door for states to charge sales tax on Internet sales. In contrast to his statement, a recent C-Net article states that Enzi warned that other taxes may zoom upward if his "mandatory sales tax collection" bill isn't passed.

"Are we implicitly blessing a situation where states are forced to raise other taxes, such as income or property taxes, to offset the growing loss of sales tax revenue?" Enzi is reported to have said.

Enzi's arguments about leveling the playing field have several fundamental flaws. To begin, nothing prevents brick-and-mortar shops from maintaining online presences -- where generally no sales taxes would apply. An alternate solution, available to the states, is to follow the lead of Alaska, Delaware, Montana, New Hampshire and Oregon by eliminating the sales tax for brick-and-mortar operations. Instead, Enzi wishes to stifle a hundred billion dollar a year and rapidly growing sector of the American economy. The most obvious flaw is that government, at all levels, could concentrate on reducing spending as opposed to increasing taxes.

"This is yet another GOP tax increase to help pay for the Republican addiction to massive government spending," said Libertarian Party Political Director Stephen Gordon, whose efforts helped kill a major Republican tax increase proposal in Alabama. "One would think that the Republicans, following the 2006 election results, would have learned to keep big government programs off the table."

Like most Americans, the Libertarian Party opposes the ever increasing level of government spending. Like most Americans, the Libertarian Party opposes the taxation of Internet transactions at a local, state and federal level. Unlike the Republican and Democratic parties, the Libertarian Party promotes smaller government, lower taxes and more freedom.

http://www.lp.org/media/article_490.shtml

Hmmm

Did you ever meet a tax you didn't like?

No such thing as liking someone taking money from you for whatever reason and Government is inherently bad at spending and thrift but I sort of like this idea. And this is a big change of thinking from my normal way but I do think too many Americans are plugged into their computer and this would force more people to do things the manual way hopefully. Too much computer use leaves you confused about the harsh truths of reality to say the least and frankly makes you fat.

Werbung:
Throw my computer in a bloody wood!

I think it will be too hard to tax, and I'll do my very best to try and avoid paying it!

What really got me is the governments new smoking ban. They ban smoking pretty much everywhere but your own home and the middle of nowhere, but they still charge you a ridiculous amount of tax on cigarettes. If they really want people to stop smoking, they should stop selling the things.

Back