Federal government finally goes totally insane, bonkers, off the deep end.

The USS Liberty was a technical research ship -- more or less a spy ship. It would be a stretch in my view to argue it was "protecting" the Suez Canal. I suppose you could in a round about way argue the intel it was gathering could be used in such a manner by others to protect something.

Maybe -- that is the whole debate over the incident. I don't see the gain for Israel by doing it. What would the point be?

It sent a message to the US, to stop backing the Arab nations against them.

Werbung:
umm they did? I know you may have missed this, but it was a SALE...Sales, as someone in Sales I think I can speak on this..Normally are normally the Act of Buying...
From the link in the OP:

A
source who works on the naval air base in Fort Worth, Texas, confirmed the departure of the state-of-the-art fighter planes to FoxNews.com. Sixteen F-16s and 200 Abrams tanks are to be given to the Egyptian government before the end of the year under a foreign aid deal signed in 2010 with then-Egyptian President Hosni Mubarak, a longtime U.S. ally.

Which is why the title was

U.S. gift of F-16 fighters headed to Egypt, despite Morsi's harsh rhetoric

go ready some other sources...you see the world SALE. Or you can just go with some random unnamed source.

just one source, I know the liberal Bias of newsmax right? :)
http://www.newsmax.com/Newsfront/paul-egypt-fighter-jets/2013/02/01/id/488470

SALE

Lots more, all have that word. Sale. Thouh some fail to point out sale was made before Elections that Republicans hate...damn Elections.
I just talked to Hillary..she said it was an on acount transaction.....I read somewhere that it was...so that means they will discuss what they owe at a latter date..IMO They were a gift..

go ready some other sources...you see the world SALE. Or you can just go with some random unnamed source.

According to your link ^

...But the most controversial element of the aid arrangement negotiated before Morsi was elected some five months ago is a $1.5 billion arms package that includes the F-16s.

Looks like a gift to me.

I just talked to Hillary..she said it was an on acount transaction.....I read somewhere that it was...so that means they will discuss what they owe at a latter date..IMO They were a gift..

well since you have such a well sourced backing for that. I mean you could actuly back it up with a real statement but , you know if you think you ready it one time from some source....

well since you have such a well sourced backing for that. I mean you could actuly back it up with a real statement but , you know if you think you ready it one time from some source....
If I thought itwould make a dfference..I would look it up..thanks for understanding

If I thought itwould make a dfference..I would look it up..thanks for understanding

as I read about it, it was part of a foreign aid package ginned up in 2010 when Mubarak was calling the shots. WE actually spent the money to have these planes built, no mention of taking payment for them. its more disturbing that this was not revisited with new management. especially as they already have some 200 of them in their stable.

SALE

Lots more, all have that word. Sale. Thouh some fail to point out sale was made before Elections that Republicans hate...damn Elections.

How about we use the State Department as a source?

Let's look at a statement from the embassy in Cairo: “The F-16s are part of the $1.3 billion in the Foreign Military Financing program from the U.S. in annual military and security assistance to Egypt, to improve Egypt’s defensive capabilities and support Egypt’s contributions to regional security that counter terrorist threats,” it said."

Now, let's look at how the State Department defines the Foreign Military Financing program: "Foreign Military Financing (FMF) is a critical foreign policy tool for promoting U.S. interests around the world by ensuring that coalition partners and friendly foreign governments are equipped and trained to work toward common security goals and share burdens in joint missions. In that regard, FMF is vital to supporting U.S. coalition partners in the war on terrorism. FMF provides grants for the acquisition of U.S. defense equipment, services and training, which promotes U.S. national security by contributing to regional and global stability, strengthening military support for democratically-elected governments, and containing transnational threats including terrorism and trafficking in narcotics, weapons, and persons. These grants enable key allies and friends to improve their defense capabilities and foster closer military relationships between the U.S. and recipient nations. Increased military capabilities build and strengthen multilateral coalitions with the U.S. and enable friends and allies to be increasingly interoperable with regional, U.S., and NATO forces. By increasing demand for U.S. systems, FMF also contributes to a strong U.S. defense industrial base, an important element of U.S. national defense strategy that reduces cost for Department of Defense acquisitions and secures more jobs for American workers."

Grants are not something that are paid back....these F-16's were not sold, they were paid for by the United States. A fact shown again in the press release from Lockheed on the subject (in part): "The U.S. government has awarded an initial $213 million to Lockheed Martin [NYSE: LMT] for long-lead tasks for the production of 20 new Advanced Block 52 F-16 aircraft for Egypt."

While I don't disagree with the move to give Egypt these weapons, let's not pretend that we sold them the weapons. The media, as per usual in regards to foreign affairs, has it wrong.

Werbung:
How about we use the State Department as a source?

Let's look at a statement from the embassy in Cairo: “The F-16s are part of the $1.3 billion in the Foreign Military Financing program from the U.S. in annual military and security assistance to Egypt, to improve Egypt’s defensive capabilities and support Egypt’s contributions to regional security that counter terrorist threats,” it said."

Now, let's look at how the State Department defines the Foreign Military Financing program: "Foreign Military Financing (FMF) is a critical foreign policy tool for promoting U.S. interests around the world by ensuring that coalition partners and friendly foreign governments are equipped and trained to work toward common security goals and share burdens in joint missions. In that regard, FMF is vital to supporting U.S. coalition partners in the war on terrorism. FMF provides grants for the acquisition of U.S. defense equipment, services and training, which promotes U.S. national security by contributing to regional and global stability, strengthening military support for democratically-elected governments, and containing transnational threats including terrorism and trafficking in narcotics, weapons, and persons. These grants enable key allies and friends to improve their defense capabilities and foster closer military relationships between the U.S. and recipient nations. Increased military capabilities build and strengthen multilateral coalitions with the U.S. and enable friends and allies to be increasingly interoperable with regional, U.S., and NATO forces. By increasing demand for U.S. systems, FMF also contributes to a strong U.S. defense industrial base, an important element of U.S. national defense strategy that reduces cost for Department of Defense acquisitions and secures more jobs for American workers."

Grants are not something that are paid back....these F-16's were not sold, they were paid for by the United States. A fact shown again in the press release from Lockheed on the subject (in part): "The U.S. government has awarded an initial $213 million to Lockheed Martin [NYSE: LMT] for long-lead tasks for the production of 20 new Advanced Block 52 F-16 aircraft for Egypt."

While I don't disagree with the move to give Egypt these weapons, let's not pretend that we sold them the weapons. The media, as per usual in regards to foreign affairs, has it wrong.

The link I gave in the OP didn't get it wrong.
You think it's a good idea to arm Egypt? Really?

Why?

Back