GOP Debate 1/24"Bridges to Nowhere"

Bunz

Well I am sitting here watching the GOP debate. McCain seems to be doing alright, Huckabee is usually a good debater, Romney is making some points.
Ron Paul and his followers are also out in force. Guiliani with that NY accent, goofy smile, I just have a tough time taking him serious.

What gets me though, is that the Bridge to Nowhere, mentioned by Romney and McCain both tonight, are GOP incarnations and very valuable project.

Anyone else's thoughts?

Werbung:
Well I am sitting here watching the GOP debate. McCain seems to be doing alright, Huckabee is usually a good debater, Romney is making some points.
Ron Paul and his followers are also out in force. Guiliani with that NY accent, goofy smile, I just have a tough time taking him serious.

What gets me though, is that the Bridge to Nowhere, mentioned by Romney and McCain both tonight, are GOP incarnations and very valuable project.

Anyone else's thoughts?

Wait, maybe I'm misunderstanding, are you saying the Bridge to Nowhere was a "very valuable project?"

Wait, maybe I'm misunderstanding, are you saying the Bridge to Nowhere was a "very valuable project?"

Nope I am saying that the project was very needed. Its a shame that it became and has continued to be demonized for two projects that would be considered critical infastructure in every other state but Alaska.

Nope I am saying that the project was very needed. Its a shame that it became and has continued to be demonized for two projects that would be considered critical infastructure in every other state but Alaska.

Here's what I've read about it. It was to be longer than the Golden Gate, taller than the Brooklyn Bridge, yet going to an island with a population of only approx. 50.
Is all that true?
It was never actually finished was it?

Here's what I've read about it. It was to be longer than the Golden Gate, taller than the Brooklyn Bridge, yet going to an island with a population of only approx. 50.
Is all that true?
It was never actually finished was it?

Nope never was finished, never even started. Gravina Island bridge has been talked about for 35 years. Now the one you refer to would connect the city of Ketchikan and Gravina Island. Ketchikan is the 5th largest city in the state.
It is true that only 50 people live on that Island, which is about half a mile from Ketchikan. The catch is that the Ketchikan International Airport is on Gravina Island.

So the good people of Ketchikan have for the last 30+ years taken a ferry to access the airport. The main link to the outside world. There is no road connection to this town. Now, who knows they will have to wait. I wonder what kind of uproar will happen if one of those boats were to go down, full of tourists from the lower 48. I can only imagine the outrage then.

I have two ideas. 1. Pay for it yourselves. 2. Move the airport.

The motive behind the whole thing is housing for rich Alaskans on an island. Real estate developers drool over the prospect. Like Bainbridge Island in Wash. Where the very richest live, and they have to take a ferry too. But they make the rest of us pay for the ferry. Let the rich pay their own way.

1. Pay for it yourselves.
If it were that easy it would have been done long ago. Firstly, it would cross a Federal waterway, secondly there is tons of other red tape over a project like this.
2. Move the airport.
To where? There is no room. The airport was moved there 30 years ago because there was the space there. Ketchikan is very compact and surrounded by high mountains and Tongass Narrows. It has no road connection and relies on its airport for its outside travel.
The motive behind the whole thing is housing for rich Alaskans on an island.
Wrong. But nice try. The residents on Gravina are not the wealthy folks. If the location of this project was in any of the lower 48 states, the bridge would have been included with the airport.
This project will come forth again, there is no doubt about it. The sad thing is, the price will have likely doubled, and it will have come at the expense of people being lost because something caused the ferry to go down. Heaven forbid it ever happen, but is that what it will take to connect very critical infastructure in the Alaskan Colony?

Nope never was finished, never even started. Gravina Island bridge has been talked about for 35 years. Now the one you refer to would connect the city of Ketchikan and Gravina Island. Ketchikan is the 5th largest city in the state.
It is true that only 50 people live on that Island, which is about half a mile from Ketchikan. The catch is that the Ketchikan International Airport is on Gravina Island.

So the good people of Ketchikan have for the last 30+ years taken a ferry to access the airport. The main link to the outside world. There is no road connection to this town. Now, who knows they will have to wait. I wonder what kind of uproar will happen if one of those boats were to go down, full of tourists from the lower 48. I can only imagine the outrage then.
so move or build there own bridge

Werbung:
so move or build there own bridge
Yeah great idea, care to expand on that?
This bridge is not about allowing 50 residents of an island to have access to town. It is about allowing the 10,000 residents of a very important city in Alaska to have access to thier International Airport.

Back