Here we go again...more BEEF Recalled

ASPCA4EVER

Land of the JAYHAWKS-ROCK CHOCK Jayhawk, KU
Ground beef recalled after salmonella outbreak

source_Reuters3.gif

updated 11:46 a.m. CT, Thurs., Aug 6, 2009

CHICAGO - An outbreak of salmonellosis in Colorado prompted the recall of 825,769 lbs of ground beef by a California beef company, the U.S. Agriculture Department said on Thursday.

Beef Packers Inc of Fresno, California, is recalling the beef, which was produced from June 5 to 23 and has the establishment number "EST. 31913." The beef may be linked to the Colorado illnesses, USDA said.
The ground beef was shipped to retail distribution centers in Arizona, California, Colorado, and Utah.

Because the meat may have been repackaged and sold under different names, consumers are being advised to check with stores to determine if they bought the recalled meat.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/32315723/ns/health-food_safety/

Damn...here we go again...seriously considering becoming a Vegetarian...seriously:eek: But then there have been recalls on: spinach, lettuce, tomatoes...have I missed any other vegetable :confused:

Werbung:
It's enough to make a person become a vegan, isn't it? Factor in the encephalopathies like scrapie and mad cow disease and it's silly to eat meat at all.

It's enough to make a person become a vegan, isn't it? Factor in the encephalopathies like scrapie and mad cow disease and it's silly to eat meat at all.

The dangers listed of eating meat does not come from "meat" itself but from the meat industries current practices of maximizing profit. For instance, the practice of feeding non-marketable parts back to the animals...dried spinal cords, bone meal, other "meat products", etc. If current practices were abandoned, and beef cattle were only grass-fed as nature intended, beef would be a very different, and healthier product. Vegetarians, please keep your "religion" to yourselves.

The dangers listed of eating meat does not come from "meat" itself but from the meat industries current practices of maximizing profit. For instance, the practice of feeding non-marketable parts back to the animals...dried spinal cords, bone meal, other "meat products", etc. If current practices were abandoned, and beef cattle were only grass-fed as nature intended, beef would be a very different, and healthier product. Vegetarians, please keep your "religion" to yourselves.

Did you miss my sentiments posted at the bottom of the topic starter :confused:
if so here they are:

Damn...here we go again...seriously considering becoming a Vegetarian...seriously:eek: But then there have been recalls on: spinach, lettuce, tomatoes...have I missed any other vegetable.

Something sure seems a 'cluster F'd up mess' in our food production processes if for the past 5 years we have been suffering from: lack of inspections or lack of proper food handling to have caused this much recalls and humans getting sick from the bacteria in our food. WTH is going on :mad:

All of what you say is true. But how are you ever going to make sure that the systems that provide your meat are clean? Religion aside, it makes a lot of sense to limit one's intake of flesh foods in order to reduce one's exposure to the malfeasance of greedy meat producers and the totally inadequate government oversight programs.

All of what you say is true. But how are you ever going to make sure that the systems that provide your meat are clean? Religion aside, it makes a lot of sense to limit one's intake of flesh foods in order to reduce one's exposure to the malfeasance of greedy meat producers and the totally inadequate government oversight programs.

I have no qualms about eating the beef (grass fed) as produced and sold by my Amish neighbors. I agree that government oversight programs are inadequate. Also, making it worse, are government rules/laws that allow adulteration of meat products. For instance, allowing bone meal to be added to processed meat. Allowing up to 33% fat in hot dogs. Allowing a hot dog-frankfurter to contain smooth ( non-striated) muscle tissue from organs, udders, lips, etc. The original hot dog-frankfurter was made from pork and beef(never poultry) skeletal muscles and they used to taste good.

It is also a fact that the meat industry feeds cattle mostly corn to enable then to cut a year off the maturation time it takes a feeder steer to reach market weight. This results in an unnatural diet that sickens the cow to the point where all beef cattle have to be given antibiotics to keep them alive the last year before slaughter. It begs the question: How much antibiotics are crossing into the human consumer?

The answer is not to give up eating meat, but to get the government to change the laws and enforce the rules to enable a healthy product. Meat is too valuable of a protein source( most concentrated source of amino acids) to not utilize.

Oh, for the return of the Guillotine for government officials and the wealthy meat processors.

I have no qualms about eating the beef (grass fed) as produced and sold by my Amish neighbors. I agree that government oversight programs are inadequate. Also, making it worse, are government rules/laws that allow adulteration of meat products. For instance, allowing bone meal to be added to processed meat. Allowing up to 33% fat in hot dogs. Allowing a hot dog-frankfurter to contain smooth ( non-striated) muscle tissue from organs, udders, lips, etc. The original hot dog-frankfurter was made from pork and beef(never poultry) skeletal muscles and they used to taste good.

It is also a fact that the meat industry feeds cattle mostly corn to enable then to cut a year off the maturation time it takes a feeder steer to reach market weight. This results in an unnatural diet that sickens the cow to the point where all beef cattle have to be given antibiotics to keep them alive the last year before slaughter. It begs the question: How much antibiotics are crossing into the human consumer?

The answer is not to give up eating meat, but to get the government to change the laws and enforce the rules to enable a healthy product. Meat is too valuable of a protein source( most concentrated source of amino acids) to not utilize.

Oh, for the return of the Guillotine for government officials and the wealthy meat processors.

My firsr career after college was agri-business, I've raised cows, pigs, chickens, horses, and a few sheep. I went back to college and studied nutrition, and I have studied comparative religion and philosophy. I became a vegan 30 years ago and have never seen any reason to begin eating flesh again. I don't need to kill sentient beings for my food, so I don't. Nor do I require others to live as I do.

I became a vegan 30 years ago and have never seen any reason to begin eating flesh again. I don't need to kill sentient beings for my food, so I don't. Nor do I require others to live as I do.

"...it is silly to eat meat..." For a moment there you seemed to be advocating for a meat-free life style.

"...it is silly to eat meat..." For a moment there you seemed to be advocating for a meat-free life style.

I live a meat-free life, but I don't advocate it as in "proselytizing" for it. People need to do what they need to do. If someone asks me I'll tell them what I've learned, but most people don't want to discuss it, so I don't. In light of the fact that the encephalopathies are 100% fatal it seems silly to expose oneself to the risk just for meat.

Werbung:
I live a meat-free life, but I don't advocate it as in "proselytizing" for it. People need to do what they need to do. If someone asks me I'll tell them what I've learned, but most people don't want to discuss it, so I don't. In light of the fact that the encephalopathies are 100% fatal it seems silly to expose oneself to the risk just for meat.
If one looks at the number of people who actually die from encephalopathies infection compared to other causes (especially death caused by contaminated non-meat foods), one could conclude that anyone who avoids eating meat for that one reason is silly.

It is noteworthy that the word "silly" is frequently used to diminish, insult, make fun of, insinuate another's viewpoint is trite. I find it as offensive as Numinous using the word "duh" in his discourse with you.

Back