How the Newest U.S. Export May Leave Russia With Excess Gas

PLC1

Staff member
How the Newest U.S. Export May Leave Russia With Excess Gas
Vladimir Putin has been having an iffy year. His not-so-secret military adventure in Ukraine has gotten bogged down in an ugly stalemate. Thanks to Western sanctions and falling oil prices, the Russian economy is tanking. And now there’s a new conundrum for the shirtless wonder to tackle — one that’s trapped in subterranean rock formations along the Eastern U.S.

What’s trapped there is a bunch of natural gas, which, thanks to fracking, has created an unprecedented boom in America’s gas supplies. Now some of the excess may for the first time be heading to Europe, where Russia has been a dominant supplier. (Insert GIF of Putin cursing, “Oh, frack.”) After all, some experts say cheap U.S. supplies could undercut Russian gas in price by as much as 40 percent, hitting Russia’s treasury while also beefing up Europe’s backbone should Russia ever threaten to cut off its gas.

Sounds to me like Putin is losing the economic war with the west. What do you think?

Werbung:
Russia is dependent on the export of oil and gas. How will Putin react?
I don't think he will change anything he's doing until his countrymen get fed up and finally get rid of him. That's only an opinion, of course. He may be more reasonable than I think.

Werbung:
The reports are slowing trickling in here in the United States about how this may result in gas being $2 a gallon in places here. We'll see if that happens. I'll believe it when I see it.

Back