Interracial couple denied marriage license

PLC1

Staff member
I could hardly believe this one. Are we stuck in a time warp or something? This is like something out of the pre civil rights south.

Interracial couple denied marriage license in La.

NEW ORLEANS – A Louisiana justice of the peace said he refused to issue a marriage license to an interracial couple out of concern for any children the couple might have. Keith Bardwell, justice of the peace in Tangipahoa Parish, says it is his experience that most interracial marriages do not last long.

"I'm not a racist. I just don't believe in mixing the races that way," Bardwell told the Associated Press on Thursday. "I have piles and piles of black friends. They come to my home, I marry them, they use my bathroom. I treat them just like everyone else."

As a rule, when someone defends an action they have taken by the words "I am not a racist", it usually proves the opposite.

Werbung:
How could we ensure that idiots do not rise to positions of power?

We could limit how much power over our lives is given away to begin with!

How could we ensure that idiots do not rise to positions of power?

We could limit how much power over our lives is given away to begin with!

Now, that would be a novel idea. Why should the state get to decide who marries? Why couldn't that be left up to the church of the couple's choice? It seems to me that would solve a lot of problems.

Racists we will always have. Idiots, too. What we don't have to have are racists and idiots with power.

Similarly, in Jackson, Mississippi an honor student is not being allowed to have her picture put into the yearbook because she decided to wear a tux for the senior photo. Tuxes are just for boys, says the school, girls have to wear dresses or gowns.

When I was in high school boys were still being kicked out for having hair that was too long. Regimentation for the sake of it, force everyone to look alike and march in straight lines.

I enjoyed the Justice of Peace's comment that he had many black friends, there are people right here on this discussion site who have argued for denial of equal rights for gay people and then claimed to have lots of gay friends too.

Common sense isn't common practice, it's not even common knowledge.

you know before reading what state it was in, you know you had a pretty good idea what part of the states it was in...
My first thought that this was hopefully in another country. Then I figured it would be from one of a handful of deep southern states. Anchorage recently went through a big uproar over the conservative Mayor vetoing an ordinance that would ensure equal rights for the LGBT residents. So things are still happening elsewhere outside of the deep south in negative regard to civil rights.

"I'm not a racist. I just don't believe in mixing the races that way," Bardwell told the Associated Press on Thursday. "I have piles and piles of black friends. They come to my home, I marry them, they use my bathroom. I treat them just like everyone else."

This simply blows me away.

As a side note, I chuckle when the right screams about all those horrible nasty liberal activist judges! Considering this is the most abusive use of ones personal views instead of following the letter and intent of the law. Shameful.

My first thought that this was hopefully in another country. Then I figured it would be from one of a handful of deep southern states. Anchorage recently went through a big uproar over the conservative Mayor vetoing an ordinance that would ensure equal rights for the LGBT residents. So things are still happening elsewhere outside of the deep south in negative regard to civil rights.

This simply blows me away.

As a side note, I chuckle when the right screams about all those horrible nasty liberal activist judges! Considering this is the most abusive use of ones personal views instead of following the letter and intent of the law. Shameful.
yes but the gays civil rights I can see happening in most states...this type of pure racism, I just think south only.

yes but the gays civil rights I can see happening in most states...this type of pure racism, I just think south only.

Turns out the judge was black and it was the white bride he was discriminating against.

Well, I don't know if that is the case or not but it does tell us that some of us here, including myself, have judged this situation without knowing the facts.

Turns out the judge was black and it was the white bride he was discriminating against.

Well, I don't know if that is the case or not but it does tell us that some of us here, including myself, have judged this situation without knowing the facts.

"A white Louisiana justice of the peace said he refused to issue a marriage license to an interracial couple out of concern for any children the couple might have." he also claimed to have many black freinds......that would be odd if he was black and against a white woman ....

so where did you get that he was a black judge?

"A white Louisiana justice of the peace said he refused to issue a marriage license to an interracial couple out of concern for any children the couple might have." he also claimed to have many black freinds......that would be odd if he was black and against a white woman ....

so where did you get that he was a black judge?

I thought it was clear that I made it up.

That way some here, having assumed he was white, would stop and realize their own biases. Why did you quote the OP and insert a word that was not there? (because you went elsewhere to find that) Why do you think it would be odd for a black man to make the statement about having black friends? Don't lots of blacks have black friends? And then consider this statement:

"Bardwell said he has discussed the topic with blacks and whites, along with witnessing some interracial marriages. He came to the conclusion that most of black society does not readily accept offspring of such relationships, and neither does white society, he said."

Anyway, it does not really matter if he was black or white for purposes of that post. It matters that many assumed he was white. Did they also assume he was a Democrat? Because he was when he formed his views and then changed parties in 2008. (So it also sounds like his party allegiance is not based on lasting principles.) He has been denying interracial marriages for many years and now that he is a Republican people suddenly care. Why didn't anyone complain when he was a racist Democrat?

And which person in the bridal party was discriminated against?

Werbung:
I would agree.

Which means that this is not racism of a white man against a black man.

It is discrimination against a couple who want an interracial marriage. Not the same.

Racism is racism, whether it is black against white, vice versa, or some combination.

Back