Iraq status of forces agreement

foggedinn

The status of forces agreement is what the U.S. claims as it's legal authority to maintain it's military presence in Iraq. It expires at midnight on Dec. 31, 2008

Will the Iraqi parlament agree to the draft proposal in it's current form?

The main bones of contention are Iraqi authority to have legal jurisdiction over U.S. military personnel who are accused of committing crimes against Iraqi's, and the Iraqi desire to stop U.S. military forces from staging cross border military actions.

The U.S. position is that Iraqi's only have legal jurisdiction in cases of pre-meditated crimes committed by off-duty, off-base, out of uniform U,S. military personnel. The U.S. has seemingly agreed to stop cross border action while insisting on maintaining language in the agreement that U.S. military forces be allowed to take "appropriate action" whenever it feels that Iraqi security interests are threatened.

Werbung:
The status of forces agreement is what the U.S. claims as it's legal authority to maintain it's military presence in Iraq. It expires at midnight on Dec. 31, 2008

Will the Iraqi parlament agree to the draft proposal in it's current form?

The main bones of contention are Iraqi authority to have legal jurisdiction over U.S. military personnel who are accused of committing crimes against Iraqi's, and the Iraqi desire to stop U.S. military forces from staging cross border military actions.

The U.S. position is that Iraqi's only have legal jurisdiction in cases of pre-meditated crimes committed by off-duty, off-base, out of uniform U,S. military personnel. The U.S. has seemingly agreed to stop cross border action while insisting on maintaining language in the agreement that U.S. military forces be allowed to take "appropriate action" whenever it feels that Iraqi security interests are threatened.

If I recall correctly the United States has stated if it not renewed we are leaving. (same with the UN mandate)

If that is to give the hardline elements in the Iraqi government political cover it remains to be seen, but I seem to recall reading this somewhere.

If I recall correctly the United States has stated if it not renewed we are leaving. (same with the UN mandate)

If that is to give the hardline elements in the Iraqi government political cover it remains to be seen, but I seem to recall reading this somewhere.

I believe we said that we will stop all military operations if the agreement is not renewed. We didn't say we will leave, just confine our forces to bases.

I don't know if it's to provide cover for Iraqi politicions or if it's a hardball negotiating tactic.

I believe we said that we will stop all military operations if the agreement is not renewed. We didn't say we will leave, just confine our forces to bases.

That was it, you are correct. Not really a half bad option to be honest.

I don't know if it's to provide cover for Iraqi politicions or if it's a hardball negotiating tactic.

Remains to be seen. I would bet they come to some agreement before December.

If we confine our forces to bases doesnt that make us an easy target to off all troops with little effort?

I would think that a bad idea

renew it or go home or at least to another country that is safe, but if they are going to play silly games like not signing then why would anyone want to stay

If we confine our forces to bases doesnt that make us an easy target to off all troops with little effort?

I would think that a bad idea

renew it or go home or at least to another country that is safe, but if they are going to play silly games like not signing then why would anyone want to stay

It makes no one any less safe than walking the streets on a patrol.

I think right now it is a political argument, not one of military, I predict they figure it out before December. That said we have already turned most of the country over to Iraqi control. They could in theory stand on their own right now.

Werbung:
It makes no one any less safe than walking the streets on a patrol.

I think right now it is a political argument, not one of military, I predict they figure it out before December. That said we have already turned most of the country over to Iraqi control. They could in theory stand on their own right now.

That is so great that they have come so far. I am glad, I hope they do well and dont let horrible dictators to overthrow them again

Back