Is the new Mini Series "V" making fun of obama and his mindless followers?

Pandora

I watched it and could not help but think that the Visitors were a rep of the obama administration and the people on earth mindlessly following them just like obama kool aid drinking voters.

I told someone I work with what I thought and he disagreed with me. I did a quick google search to see if anyone out there saw it the same way I did and was kind of shocked to see so many different sites of people who saw it the same as I did.

Has anyone here seen the first episode and if so did you see what I saw or did you see no connection?

Here is one persons thoughts from Salon

"V" - The Right's New Favorite TV Show?
I've heard that Battlestar Galactica is a favorite of neoconservatives for its supposedly metaphorical allusions to Bush foreign policy. I've never seen that show, but I am planning to watch ABC's remake of "V" - and by the looks of the preview, it's possible that show may become conservatives' new favorite TV show:

Am I crazy or does this preview make the show seem like a not-so-subtle fringe-right-wing criticism of Obama and Obama followers?

In questioning Obama's citizenship and heritage, conservatives have always portrayed Obama as an alien visitor. They've also constantly implied that behind Obama's friendly veneer are sinister motives - and they seem to believe that while most of the public are gullible fools believing in Obama as a savior, they and their tea-party protestors see the "real truth" of those motives.

Now, didn't I basically just describe that preview? I think I did - in fact, I took notes on the preview. Check this out:

1:00 "The world's in bad shape - who wouldn't welcome a savior?"
1:10 - "Thousands are flocking to see the mothership in person"

1:20 - "We're all so quick to jump on the bandwagon, but before we get on let's at least examine..."

1:40 - "Gratitude can morph into worship"..."You two are obsessed with the V's"..."You know what the V's - they call it spreading hope"

2:15 - "If you could speak to the protestors, what would you say? That embracing change is never easy, but the reward for doing so can be far greater than anything you can imagine"..."They gain trust when all they are really doing is positioning themselves as the saviors of mankind"

2:40 - "They are arming themselves with the most powerful weapon out there: devotion."

It's all there, right? The idea of V/Obama as a "savior" with "thousands flocking to see" them. The religious right, represented by a priest, warning everyone not to "jump on the bandwagon" for V/Obama. Warnings that support for V/Obama can "morph into worship," and the V/Obama followers defending themselves by saying it's not worship, "they call it spreading hope." Then a highly scripted media event in which V/Obama soothingly says "embracing change is never easy, but the reward for doing so can be far greater than anything you can imagine" - and another warning from a self-styled truth-telling protestor insisting that it's all a sinister farce, that Obama/V deceptively "gains trust when all they are really doing is positioning themselves as the saviors of mankind" (recall this McCain ad against Obama making almost exactly the same charge). And finally, the harrowing warning that Obama/V "are arming themselves with the most powerful weapon out there: devotion."

Now, it's certainly possible I'm just seeing it this way, and that the directors of this show have absolutely no desire for this to be any kind of echo of the right's anti-Obama narratives. But I'm not actually making any accusation at all. I'm just noticing the storyline of the slick, unknown false prophet using charisma and charm to foist a sinister alien plot on an all-too-gullible world of sycophants, and the courageous tea-party-ish protestors heroically braving Establishment scorn to get the "truth" out against the odds. That's how the fringe right views reality and itself these days, and that's exactly the frame of this new show (which is kinda weird for an alien invasion plot, which typically portrays the aliens as overtly and brazenly evil, rather than as tricky hucksters who seem good at first).

Is it life imitating art imitating life? Or has the silly right-wing narrative become so ingrained in our culture that it is everywhere, whether deliberately or inadvertently? Or, as I wondered already, am I just crazy?

Certainly possible it's the latter...but it is eerie (oh, and yes, I will definitely be watching the show, as I was a big fan of the original "V").

UPDATE: Time's James Poniewozik picked up on this theme, too:

Remake of the classic alien-invasion miniseries plays in the trailer, weirdly, like an allegory of the Obama election: aliens come to Earth, promise "hope" and "change" (words actually used), inspire cult-like devotion, but have creepy intent and are secretly lizards. Maybe I'm reading too much into it. But it has potential to be Glenn Beck's new favorite show.
Again, it's creepy...

http://open.salon.com/blog/david_sirota/2009/05/21/v_-_the_rights_new_favorite_tv_show

here are some others starting with the Chicago Tribune...

http://www.chicagotribune.com/entertainment/chi-tc-tvcolumn-v-1102-1103nov03,0,7062976.story

http://gatewaypundit.firstthings.com/2009/11/6603/

http://www.worstpreviews.com/headline.php?id=15683&count=0

http://www.americanvision.org/the-american-vision-blog/is-v-about-the-obama-administration/

Oh heck there are way too many to copy and paste so just look at the google
list :)

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&source=hp&q=V+tv+series+like+obama+administration&aq=f&oq=&aqi=

Werbung:
Come on Pan you know it's true.

Stop trying to hide your secret identity by faking like you actually like the Lunatic Right and just admit it. You're crush has been revealed and you and our President work well together.

Here you are....

and here's your man...

Come on Pan you know it's true.

Stop trying to hide your secret identity by faking like you actually like the Lunatic Right and just admit it. You're crush has been revealed and you and our President work well together.

Here you are....

and here's your man...

Now that is just silly!

But seriously, do you think that ABC's show is mocking obama and his followers? If so, why do you think ABC would allow the show? They tend to be obama friendly. And, is it ethical to have a tv series that does something like this?

Now that is just silly!

But seriously, do you think that ABC's show is mocking obama and his followers? If so, why do you think ABC would allow the show? They tend to be obama friendly. And, is it ethical to have a tv series that does something like this?

Well OG... I mean Pandooora!;)

Parody is something the media does. It's the Right that get it panties all in a knot over things like Tina Fey doing Miss Wasilla.

Now here you have your powers back... go out and do some good!:D

Parody is something the media does. It's the Right that get it panties all in a knot over things like Tina Fey doing Miss Wasilla.

Now here you have your powers back... go out and do some good!:D

So.... You are agreeing that ABC is making fun of obama and his mindless supporters?

May I make a suggestion, that is if the Voters of this land really LOVE AMERICA
they will go and re-register as NOT a Democrat and NOT a Republican, anything but the Donkey and Elephant! Send a message to the professional politicians that WE THE PEOPLE are MAD AS HELL and NOT GOING TO TAKE IT ANYMORE!

May I make a suggestion, that is if the Voters of this land really LOVE AMERICA
they will go and re-register as NOT a Democrat and NOT a Republican, anything but the Donkey and Elephant! Send a message to the professional politicians that WE THE PEOPLE are MAD AS HELL and NOT GOING TO TAKE IT ANYMORE!

That is a great idea, but only after the primary. Some of us can not vote unless we are an R or D in the primary and there are important issue to vote on.

Other than insults do you have any thoughts?

Pardon me...I totally forgot that all statement have to be repeated numerous times and the picture completely redrawn & explained to you:rolleyes:

YOU SAID: Maybe I'm reading too much into it. But it has potential to be Glenn Beck's new favorite show.
Again, it's creepy...

And then I said: But so expected for the ILK that follows every 'thought-dribble' that falls out of the likes of Rush Limbaugh & Glen Beck empty head...No you are absolutely 'RIGHT ON CUE' ;) LMAO

And you were able to ignore the words that I but in bold type for you...GET IT:confused: Ya, BIB you are making a mountain out of a mole hill and reading B.S. into the script that was written about the ISSUES of today...that's what TV SCRIPTS DO...BRING TODAY'S TOPIC/ISSUES into the PRIME TIME TV VIEWING MARKET...GOOD GRIEF :rolleyes:

So.... You are agreeing that ABC is making fun of obama and his mindless supporters?

We don't have thin skin. As long as Conservatives aren't trying to lynch us or some other violent act we know the joke will always be on them.

You weren't kidding when you said you and your family lived out west. Good on ya!

Pardon me...I totally forgot that all statement have to be repeated numerous times and the picture completely redrawn & explained to you:rolleyes:

And then I said: But so expected for the ILK that follows every 'thought-dribble' that falls out of the likes of Rush Limbaugh & Glen Beck empty head...No you are absolutely 'RIGHT ON CUE' ;) LMAO

And you were able to ignore the words that I but in bold type for you...GET IT:confused: Ya, BIB you are making a mountain out of a mole hill and reading B.S. into the script that was written about the ISSUES of today...that's what TV SCRIPTS DO...BRING TODAY'S TOPIC/ISSUES into the PRIME TIME TV VIEWING MARKET...GOOD GRIEF :rolleyes:

I didnt say that, the writer from Salon did, I only asked the question is ABC mocking obama and his mindless idiot followers, agree or disagree

We don't have thin skin. As long as Conservatives aren't trying to lynch us or some other violent act we know the joke will always be on them.

You weren't kidding when you said you and your family lived out west. Good on ya!

Grrr

I cant stand him and you know it, I dont even like obama girl.. I think she is a retarded moron!

I am glad you dont mind ABC making fun of obama and his followers. I am not sure I would be so happy with a tv show making fun of conservatives. Your a better man than I :)

It must be the Billy Jack in you!

Werbung:
Back