Janet Napolitano gives her advice on swine flu crisis

Little-Acorn

Our Secretary of Homeland Security, Janet Napolitano (D-NM), has finally weighed in on the swine-flu crisis that has everybody fearful of mass disease and death.

Her suggestion: Change the name. Stop calling it "swine" flu.

That is all.

Boy, am I glad the Government is on top of this issue.

capt.899aee9d30554dc689e101dace0c8f92.swine_flu_dchg107.jpg

-------------------------------------------------

http://www.alertnet.org/thenews/newsdesk/N28343516.htm

U.S. officials want 'swine' out of flu name

28 Apr 2009 21:31:42 GMT
Source: Reuters

WASHINGTON, April 28 (Reuters) - What's in a name? U.S. pork producers are finding that the name of the virus spreading from Mexico is affecting their business, prompting U.S. officials to argue for changing the name from swine flu.

At a news briefing, Homeland Security Secretary Janet Napolitano and Agriculture Secretary Tom Vilsack took pains to repeatedly refer to the flu as the "H1N1 virus."

"This is not a food-borne illness, virus. It is not correct to refer to it as swine flu because really that's not what this is about," Vilsack said.

At the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, there was also talk of stripping the "swine" from swine flu, which CDC acting director Richard Besser said was leading to the misapprehension that people can catch the disease from pork.

Werbung:
I wonder .... will we always have a society that cares more about money being made or lost or the health of their citizens .... and I'm talking the world society ... everyone just needs to chill out and do what is right and that is do everything you can possibly do to stay healthy and that includes a govt that knows what to do instead of acting like everything IS in control when all Napalatano (sp) can say is to not call it what it is because it is hurting the economy .... if this turns nasty (God forbid) there is going to be a lot of unnecessary (if they had done this right in the first place) back peddling etc .... if this doesn't turn nasty then they had better learn from this experience ....

Werbung:
Our Secretary of Homeland Security, Janet Napolitano (D-NM), has finally weighed in on the swine-flu crisis that has everybody fearful of mass disease and death.

Her suggestion: Change the name. Stop calling it "swine" flu.

That is all.

Boy, am I glad the Government is on top of this issue.

capt.899aee9d30554dc689e101dace0c8f92.swine_flu_dchg107.jpg

-------------------------------------------------

http://www.alertnet.org/thenews/newsdesk/N28343516.htm

U.S. officials want 'swine' out of flu name

28 Apr 2009 21:31:42 GMT
Source: Reuters

WASHINGTON, April 28 (Reuters) - What's in a name? U.S. pork producers are finding that the name of the virus spreading from Mexico is affecting their business, prompting U.S. officials to argue for changing the name from swine flu.

At a news briefing, Homeland Security Secretary Janet Napolitano and Agriculture Secretary Tom Vilsack took pains to repeatedly refer to the flu as the "H1N1 virus."

"This is not a food-borne illness, virus. It is not correct to refer to it as swine flu because really that's not what this is about," Vilsack said.

At the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, there was also talk of stripping the "swine" from swine flu, which CDC acting director Richard Besser said was leading to the misapprehension that people can catch the disease from pork.

This is because China, and many other Asian nations, are boycotting American pork now because of this.

Changing the name makes sense for business, but it does nothing to combat the illness. I would say that is more what she was geared towards however, and not simply saying "call it something else and it will go away."

Back