Jerry Falwell Dead at 73

FourBear

Jerry Falwell, founder of the Moral Majority, died today after being found unconscious in his office. This has prompted praise, admonishment, and neutral reactions from people around the US. How do you stand on this? Do you admire his accomplished, or do you feel he did more harm than good?

Werbung:
While I don't think Falwell did as much as some other televangelists when it comes to settingup the modern day boundaries between Christian fundamentalists, evangelicals, moderates, and liberals, I don't really think his work did anything to make it possible for the varying thought streams to dialogue in any meaningful way. His was a type of Christianity that did not leave room for more than one interpretation, and the man was not above labeling some Christians as being lesser in some manner, just because they did not view Christian thought and practice through his lenses.

I will give him credit for choosing to not back Pat Robertson for his presidential bid, though. He got a lot of flack from his constituency over that one and stood his ground.

I for one, feel that at least there is one less person in charge to put hate and discrimination in the world... he was very much against homosexuals and other people that didn't follow his ideas. So, as a homosexual, I felt a little glad he past. On the other hand, I feel bad for the people who loved him, because they have to see so many being happy about his death. In CNN I saw a report that didn't actually make him look like "a preacher" but a hater.

I myself don't care for televangilists. Especially ones that preach more along the lines of hate that love. Which is what I have seen him do at times. There was no middle ground whatsoever with him. That being said I am sorry that he passed away and feel for his loved ones.

Didn't Falwell say something to the effect that blamed homosexuals/others for the attacks of 9/11?

I don't think Falwell made that comment. If memory serves me correctly, it was Pat Robertson who made a statement to the effect that 9/11 was God's judgement on the United States because of its iniquity, including the increased acceptance of LGBT persons in some parts of the country.

That said, it is true that Falwell's interpretation of Christianity did not leave any room for acceptance of gays and lesbians within the institutional church.

I don't think Falwell made that comment. If memory serves me correctly, it was Pat Robertson who made a statement to the effect that 9/11 was God's judgement on the United States because of its iniquity, including the increased acceptance of LGBT persons in some parts of the country.

That said, it is true that Falwell's interpretation of Christianity did not leave any room for acceptance of gays and lesbians within the institutional church.

Just because I was sure it was Falwell, I did some digging on the net and this is what I've found:
"Falwell apologizes to gays, feminists, lesbians

September 14, 2001 Posted: 2:55 AM EDT (0655 GMT)

LYNCHBURG, Virginia (CNN) -- The Rev. Jerry Falwell said late Thursday he did not mean to blame feminists, gays or lesbians for bringing on the terrorist attacks in New York and Washington this week, in remarks on a television program earlier in the day.

On the broadcast of the Christian television program "The 700 Club," Falwell made the following statement:

"I really believe that the pagans, and the abortionists, and the feminists, and the gays and the lesbians who are actively trying to make that an alternative lifestyle, the ACLU, People For the American Way, all of them who have tried to secularize America. I point the finger in their face and say 'you helped this happen.'"

Falwell, pastor of the 22,000-member Thomas Road Baptist Church, viewed the attacks as God's judgment on America for "throwing God out of the public square, out of the schools. The abortionists have got to bear some burden for this because God will not be mocked."

You can see the whole article here: http://archives.cnn.com/2001/US/09/14/Falwell.apology/

Yes, thanks for a finding a good source, berlinlife. I couldn't recall his exact quote. Scary that he tried to pin the blame on such a collectively large group of people.

I do believe, if I'm not wrong, that he also apologized for the comments, just like Don Imus did with the things he said. It doesn't excuse the comment in the first place, but I think he did his best to rectify the situation.

Werbung:
I do believe, if I'm not wrong, that he also apologized for the comments, just like Don Imus did with the things he said. It doesn't excuse the comment in the first place, but I think he did his best to rectify the situation.
Yes, he actually apologized THAT time... but he said many terrible things many times! I just hope that wherever he is now, he gets to know that teaching to hate a group of people that is different, is NOT what God wanted from him.

Back