Killer Storms is GODs Wrath!

Then God must be between 4 and 6 feet tall, hands of a primate (with opposing thumbs), have a mane (head hair), etc. What does God need feet or hands for? Or, as believers will do, dodge/deflect the, "made in God's image...", by stating something to the effect that it does not mean physical image, but spiritual image, etc.; Which then could be anything.

That is the nature of belief in the Bible, when pinned down, just change the interpretation and slip away from the preferred first explanation.

Pocketfullof shells was the first on this thread to suggest that God had no need of genitals and was quickly affirmed by PLC. I was in no way pinned down when I joined the crowd in saying that God would have no need of genitals and added that God is widely believed to be a spirit.

To suggest that people who see God as spirit have been pinned down and then they have to later invent reasons why is nothing more than creating a false concept of what people believe about God so that you can argue against it. The preferred FIRST explanation on this thread and in mainstream Christianity has always been that God is spirit. In fact if we want to talk about FIRSTS then the very FIRST verse in the very FIRST chapter of the bible talks about God as spirit.

Werbung:
Pocketfullof shells was the first on this thread to suggest that God had no need of genitals and was quickly affirmed by PLC. I was in no way pinned down when I joined the crowd in saying that God would have no need of genitals and added that God is widely believed to be a spirit.

To suggest that people who see God as spirit have been pinned down and then they have to later invent reasons why is nothing more than creating a false concept of what people believe about God so that you can argue against it. The preferred FIRST explanation on this thread and in mainstream Christianity has always been that God is spirit. In fact if we want to talk about FIRSTS then the very FIRST verse in the very FIRST chapter of the bible talks about God as spirit.

Then, we are not "made in the image of God" (or we would be spirits without form). Inasmuch as we are not sprites, but are much like the other primates, cats, dogs, etc., The species-centric view that we share something unique to God (made in his image). Is here where the mystical "soul" comes in? If so, do X-rays, ultra-sounds, etc. on a human and a chimp and point out the existence of a soul in a human and the lack of one in a chimp.
Which is most likely, God, demons, witches, spirits, angels, souls exist, or is organized religion made-up nonsense developed in a time when the Sun revolved around the flat earth.

Werbung:
Then, we are not "made in the image of God" (or we would be spirits without form).

Your assumption that to be made in the image of God means that we must be spirits without form is nothing more than your personal view of the matter.

The Christian view we have discussed so far is that we are made in the image of God and that that does not mean that God looks physically like us. That is what it does not mean. What it does mean is a different question. There are surely a number of people who say what they think it means and we could dicuss each one.
Inasmuch as we are not sprites,

Who says we are not spirits? What does it mean to be a spirit? You seem to think that being a spirit means not also having a body. That is not the Christian view. Christians believe that we all are spirit and have a body. You are welcome to hold your views on the matter as much as you want. But having your views does not mean that the views of others are wrong. In the Christian view we are made in the image of God, I personally think that refers to something about our spirit, and we also have a body.

but are much like the other primates, cats, dogs, etc., The species-centric view that we share something unique to God (made in his image). Is here where the mystical "soul" comes in? If so, do X-rays, ultra-sounds, etc. on a human and a chimp and point out the existence of a soul in a human and the lack of one in a chimp.

You are assuming that it [belief that we are in at least one way unique] is species centric - it just might be the biblical view because it is right and not because of species centricity. I personally think that at least some animals have spirit so it is not the existence of a spirit that makes us unique.

No scientific observations either confirm the existence of a soul in humans or the lack of one in animals. Not that I expect science to be able to measure a supernatural soul. And if it did either it would cease to be science or the soul would cease to be supernatural.

But is it species centric to believe that we are at least in one way unique? I have no doubt that every species is unique in at least one way.

Which is most likely, God, demons, witches, spirits, angels, souls exist, or is organized religion made-up nonsense developed in a time when the Sun revolved around the flat earth.

There have been people who believed that the sun revolved around the earth but I know of no reason to think that it was only the religious who thought that, or that it was about the belief being before a certain time. Some thought the sun revolved around the earth prior to it becoming a widely held view of western science. What did the writers of the bible believe? You have not offered any support for the idea that the writers of the bible thought the Sun revolved around the Earth. As far as I can tell the idea that the sun revolved around the earth did not take hold until Ptolemy much after the OT was written. Medieval scientists and religious people alike thought that the sun revolved around the earth - so what? Does that mean we can discard all of science and religion? Of course not. What can be said is that your argument against religion is based on the false premise that organized religion was developed at the same time that people believed the sun revolved around th earth - and if one of the premises is wrong then the conclusion is not supported by the argument.

Do souls, God, demons, angels, witches, and spirits exist? No scientist on the face of the planet is in a position to say without making a statement of faith. It is silly to assign probablility to the ideas without appealing to faith. And if you do appeal to faith then we are left trying to weigh one position of faith against another. Are you making a statement of faith?
[/QUOTE]

Back