legless Swede denied power chair... guess why !

dogtowner

Staff member
they're not sure if the situation is permanent... I kid you not

both legs amputated, unless Swedes can grow them back I'd say its not looking good for a turnaround.

sure you want this in America ?

at least there is a happy ending thanks to charity on the part of the chair manufacturer

A man from Nyköping in eastern Sweden has been denied a power wheelchair despite having had both of his legs amputated as the local health authority remained "uncertain if the impairment was permanent".

The man had his legs amputated after a long struggle with diabetes, but despite being unable get about, his application for a power wheelchair has been denied.

“I was bitterly disappointed in the local authorities. I don’t feel I got the support I deserve,” Evert Stefansson told The Local.

Evert Stefansson had struggled with his health for a long time. As a long-suffering diabetic his kidneys have taken a beating, as has his eyesight.

About a year ago, his condition took a turn for the worse when his toe suddenly went black.

He was rushed to hospital where they had no other choice than to amputate his leg. Within a year, they had to take his other leg too.

Since then Evert has experienced some difficulty in getting about.

He might be able to walk short distances again with prosthetic legs, but that will take up to a year, according to his wife Siv.

Siv, also on early retirement due to a bad back, told The Local how she is forced to help her husband with everything and how he remains completely dependent on her.

In order to regain some of his independence, Stefansson applied for a so-called Permobile, a power wheelchair, that he could manoeuvre himself.

“But I had my suspicions right from the start that it wouldn’t be easy, when the woman from the county visited. She sort of hinted that he could have an ordinary electric wheelchair,” Siv Stefansson said.

The electric wheelchair was less desirable as it would still need a carer operating it, and would therefore not allow Stefansson to get about by himself, without the constant help of his wife.

However, the motivation for the county council’s decision was allegedly that it was “uncertain if the impairment was permanent”, reported local media.

After the couple found out that Evert’s application would be rejected, Siv decided to take the matter into her own hands.

“I got angry. It just isn’t right that he has worked all his life but now can’t do anything that he loves anymore. Not even go fishing,” she told The Local.

“I decided to contact the papers and the broadcast media. And it was definitely what was needed.”

Through media’s reports, a woman in the nearby area caught wind of the couple’s plight and contacted her brother, who works with permobiles and has previously helped others in the same predicament.

“She told him ‘you better do something about this’ - and he did,” Siv Stefansson said.

Thanks to the woman's initiative, Evert’s new permobile will arrive next week, on loan from the company that manufactures them.

“I am overjoyed! It is by far the best Christmas present we could receive,” Siv Stefansson told The Local.

Werbung:
This is why i had to Vote for Obama. STEM CELL RESEARCH. McCain said he would veto federal dollars for stem cell research. Every republican has veto it. Clinton said he would sign it,,But the Republicans voted against it. Stem cells are showing signs of progress of cures like for Diabetes,Blindness and Deafness. Reagan also vetoed it they might had saved is life when he died of Alzheimer's disease.Means it was passed and Obama signed it into law i wonder when my Diabetes get cured?

This is why i had to Vote for Obama. STEM CELL RESEARCH. McCain said he would veto federal dollars for stem cell research. Every republican has veto it. Clinton said he would sign it,,But the Republicans voted against it. Stem cells are showing signs of progress of cures like for Diabetes,Blindness and Deafness. Reagan also vetoed it they might had saved is life when he died of Alzheimer's disease.Means it was passed and Obama signed it into law i wonder when my Diabetes get cured?

McCain said he would veto research on Embryonic stem cell research (that has never lead to anything worthwhile) He would have been fine with funding adult stem cell research (that has led to some good advances in science.)

As soon as his kidneys give out and he dies he will no longer be disabled so it is obviously not permanent. :D

Because we all no...if you have private Insurance , evryone has unlimited health care for what ever they need!

Also its funny, for a party that thinks so highly of the US, and so little of the rest of the world...it never pops in your head that maybe we could do it better....But your happy with , 25% of the people having no health care, and a corporation making the choice if they will cover something..One that could have dropped you for being sick...or not covered you becuse you where sick before already...or not covered you because the econ got slow and you lost your coverage from work.....( I know, your all independently wealthy and can just keep paying for good health care when ever with no worries)..I worked 2 jobs 40-60+ hours a week, and had no coverage..I got offered that good job I had been looking for after school finally...6 months after I finally got coverage threw one job...and had it again with the new ones...the market for that product died.....sales plummeted...I lost job fast as the one of the newest hires.... I had no coverage again....

Guess what, if I lost my legs...no power lift for me as well...unless maybe I got the goverment to help pay for that...that evil goverment.

Werbung:
ah... its temporary as opposed to permanent. ok never mind then. :eek:

You know Car Companies use to claim SUV's insurance should be cheaper...because it was more likely to kill the person you hit, rather then injure them.....

http://blogs.alternet.org/speakeasy/2010/02/09/1219/

Look! Private company denies care! shocking! I thought they just handed you a blank check!

But don't worry, I think you should be happy, that goverment was looking after whats realy importat to the Republican party...the tax payers checkbook..they saved goverment money! you should be happy.

"he California Nurses Association (CNA), a nurses’ union and health care advocacy group, recently released a comprehensive study of claims denials across California. The study found that the six largest insurers in California rejected 47.7 million claims in the first half of 2009, nearly 22 percent of all claims submitted.

Back