Libertarian...

As a Christian, I agree that libertarianism feels right. It's all about free will, and I was taught that God is about free will as well. Of course, that's the simplistic version.

I think true conservatives and old school liberals would find a lot of common ground with each other and with libertarians. People are just too caught up in labels to see it, unfortunately.
Most everyone can identify with 50% or better of libertarian thought. But most hold tight to parts of anti libertarian thought that protects something they value.

Werbung:
Consider property rights. Governments in California and elsewhere in the West often prevent people from adding a bathroom, adding an extra room or cutting down a tree without government permission. These are all violations of property rights, just as restrictions on gay marriage or using marijuana violate their other rights.
Libertarianism is still the only philosophy that consistently advocates freedom across the board.

Western states with semi-desert conditions don't have enough water to support an extra bathroom, or cutting down an extra tree. Of course, I'm not for government regulations banning such practices, but people should be required to pay an extra fee. The situation is just a fact of life out there. On the other hand, Washington and Oregon are overflowing with water. There wouldn't need to be an extra fee there, even though it might seem unfair to some.

Back