MLB/Congressional hearings

ilikeboobs

Am I the only person wondering why the hell the government is sticking its nose into Major League Baseball's private business? This is essentially the same as the government investigating some mom & pop bakery because someone accused an employee of doing roids.

Give me an F-ing break. Congress has no business interfering. Maybe they should spend time on things like, oh i don't know, national security & cutting taxes? :mad:

Werbung:
Am I the only person wondering why the hell the government is sticking its nose into Major League Baseball's private business? This is essentially the same as the government investigating some mom & pop bakery because someone accused an employee of doing roids

I agree, I never thought Congress had any business getting involved in this. It's not only baseball and steroids, now it's Arlen Spector getting on Roger Goodell and the NFL over the Patriot spying scandal. What will be next NASCAR?

Am I the only person wondering why the hell the government is sticking its nose into Major League Baseball's private business? This is essentially the same as the government investigating some mom & pop bakery because someone accused an employee of doing roids.

Give me an F-ing break. Congress has no business interfering. Maybe they should spend time on things like, oh i don't know, national security & cutting taxes? :mad:

While I can understand the frustration of our pro-athletes using methods to improve thier game that is unethical and illegal. The reason the US Congress has become involved is because the MLB and most if not all the other major sports leagues are a Congressionally mandated limited monopoly. Meaning that Congress has allowed MLB to control which franchises come into competition among the rest.

While I can understand the frustration of our pro-athletes using methods to improve thier game that is unethical and illegal. The reason the US Congress has become involved is because the MLB and most if not all the other major sports leagues are a Congressionally mandated limited monopoly. Meaning that Congress has allowed MLB to control which franchises come into competition among the rest.

I understand some of the justifications Congress is using for getting involved in MLB and the use of performance enhancing drugs,, but I just think the real motivation is political grandstanding. BTW, Clemens is dirty.

I don't know what Sen. Spector was up to when he met with NFL commissioner Roger Goodell today. As he supposedly raised the threat of Congress canceling the league's antitrust exemption. Over the Patriot's spying scandal? C'mon now, Specter, being from Pa., must be a Steeler fan.
http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=3244687&campaign=rss&source=ESPNHeadlines

Haha good point Popeye.
I am not sure what is going on with the NFL and congress, and I would concur on your thoughts just as to what the motivation is for some members of Congress to undertake these actions. Political grandstanding.
I wonder how it works for them in the end though. I find that those involved in this seem no better than those allegedly taking the drugs. Grilling Clemens does more harm than good for most involved.

Agreed. As though sitting around naming bridges wasn't enough of a waste of time, Congress has to start doing things like this.

I can see it now: Brought to you by your very own tax dollars, Weekly Congressional Thumb-Twiddling Sessions!

I don't know about you all, but I personally find it entertaining to watch a bunch of Congressmen sit around and call other people liars.

They probably find it pretty entertaining that they get to use your money to do it.

You make a good point, but ultimately, arent the athletes doing the same thing on our dollar? It is our consumer dollar that fuels the sporting world as much as tax dollars do, just in a different way.

If we werent paying $100 a ticket for a good ticket at the major sports events, plus the other expenses incurred going to the gams, a family of 4 sitting in above average seats at a Seahawks game would be the equivalent of a months food for some people.
Then of course the merchandising where consumers are convinced that thier already existing and perfectly operational widgets need to be replaced because they dont have a certain logo or photo on them.
The glue that holds this all together, our fragile, need to somehow cheer for people who we have made glorious through thier actions in a game that has a huge media infastructure behind it. Fueling the poppulace to spend and care about something to take our minds of our otherwise routine and dull daily lives.

You make a good point, but ultimately, arent the athletes doing the same thing on our dollar? It is our consumer dollar that fuels the sporting world as much as tax dollars do, just in a different way.

If we werent paying $100 a ticket for a good ticket at the major sports events, plus the other expenses incurred going to the gams, a family of 4 sitting in above average seats at a Seahawks game would be the equivalent of a months food for some people.
Then of course the merchandising where consumers are convinced that thier already existing and perfectly operational widgets need to be replaced because they dont have a certain logo or photo on them.
The glue that holds this all together, our fragile, need to somehow cheer for people who we have made glorious through thier actions in a game that has a huge media infastructure behind it. Fueling the poppulace to spend and care about something to take our minds of our otherwise routine and dull daily lives.

Seahawks? I bet you also support Congress finding out why S. Alexander all of the sudden cant run for crap :) must be that heavy wallet he got :)

Seahawks? I bet you also support Congress finding out why S. Alexander all of the sudden cant run for crap :) must be that heavy wallet he got :)

HA!, Nice try. I am actually a Packers fan. I only mentioned Seattle because it is the closest to me, and they are good with a newer stadium. Still I think my point holds true. A good NFL ticket runs $100 a pop as far as I know. Throw in parking, travel to the stadium, food, beer, and a few trinkets and you are looking at $500.

Two years ago, my then Girlfriend and I were traveling in DC. Being a hockey fan, I got good seats for the Capitals game.
Tickets were $80 a piece, then beers, food, hoodies, and it was $400.
Dont get me wrong, I had a good time. I am glad I dont live where the games take place because I wouldnt be able to afford to go as much as I would want to.

HA!, Nice try. I am actually a Packers fan. I only mentioned Seattle because it is the closest to me, and they are good with a newer stadium. Still I think my point holds true. A good NFL ticket runs $100 a pop as far as I know. Throw in parking, travel to the stadium, food, beer, and a few trinkets and you are looking at $500.

Two years ago, my then Girlfriend and I were traveling in DC. Being a hockey fan, I got good seats for the Capitals game.
Tickets were $80 a piece, then beers, food, hoodies, and it was $400.
Dont get me wrong, I had a good time. I am glad I dont live where the games take place because I wouldnt be able to afford to go as much as I would want to.

you just made my list of enemies on this site...packer boy. :) Vikes fan lol

you just made my list of enemies on this site...packer boy. :) Vikes fan lol

Ah just another notch on my belt. That being said, in AK, there is a ton of Minnesota and Wisconsin transplants. SOme extended family of mine is from Wisconsin, so I have been brainwashed since birth to be a Packer fan. They had a hell of a season this year, just one to many screw ups right.

One of my best buddies is a Vikings fan orginially from n. Minn. For Christmas a couple years ago, I put him on the waiting list for Packer season tickets. At first he was pissed. Then I told him we could sell the other tickets and only go to the annual Viking game. The only problem is we have about 30 years to wait.

Werbung:
no why is the white house trying to stick their nose into the Congress's business clemens is guilty! HE LIED! end of story

Back