More Madness From HM Government - Pirates can claim UK asylum

The Scotsman

The Sunday Times
April 13, 2008
Marie Woolf, Whitehall Editor

THE Royal Navy, once the scourge of brigands on the high seas, has been told by the Foreign Office not to detain pirates because doing so may breach their human rights.

Warships patrolling pirate-infested waters, such as those off Somalia, have been warned that there is also a risk that captured pirates could claim asylum in Britain.

The Foreign Office has advised that pirates sent back to Somalia could have their human rights breached because, under Islamic law, they face beheading for murder or having a hand chopped off for theft.

In 2005 there were almost 40 attacks by pirates and 16 vessels were hijacked and held for ransom. Employing high-tech weaponry, they kill, steal and hold ships’ crews to ransom. This year alone pirates killed three people near the Philippines.

Last week French commandos seized a Somali pirate gang that had held a luxury yacht with 22 French citizens on board. The hijackers were paid off by the boat’s owner and then a French helicopter carrier dispatched 50 commandos to seize the hijackers and the ransom money on dry land.

Britain is part of a coalition force that patrols piracy stricken areas and the guidance has troubled navy officers who believe they should have more freedom to intervene.

The guidance was sharply criticised by Julian Brazier MP, the Conservative shipping spokesman, who said: “These people commit horrendous offences. The solution is not to turn a blind eye but to turn them over to the local authorities. The convention on human rights quite rightly doesn’t cover the high seas. It’s a pathetic indictment of what our legal system has come to.”

A Foreign Office spokesman said: “There are issues about human rights and what might happen in these circumstances. The main thing is to ensure any incident is resolved peacefully.”

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/news/uk/article3736239.ece

---------------------------------------------------

Britain is part of a coalition force that patrols piracy stricken areas and the guidance has troubled navy officers who believe they should have more freedom to intervene.
...not all that much point in them being there then really :rolleyes:

“There are issues about human rights and what might happen in these circumstances. The main thing is to ensure any incident is resolved peacefully.”....
aaahhhhh how precious is that.......... One could go on about the human rights of the victims that are set upon, robbed and killed but I'm sure that's not the point............

What concerns me is the potential danger to the pirates if they see a Royal Navy vessel approaching! I am sure the Foreign Office and the Health and Safety Directorate did not do a risk assessment on behalf of the pirates when boarding or leaving ships; the approach of the Royal Navy may give rise to consternation which may cause the pirates to panic. I think it must pointed out to the Royal Navy that perhaps they should give lessons to the pirates on proper dis-embarkation technique so as not to suffer injury during high seas vessel to vessel transfer.

I'm sure the Foreign Office would be keen to highlight such issues. Intricate operations of this nature do in fact lead to casualties if proper procedure is not observed espescially if stressed at the time! I'm sure the Royal Navy would not want to be the cause of injury to a pirate fleeing the scene of robbery, mayhem and murder......gosh imagine just how distressing that would be to Human Rights campaigners!!

Werbung:
Here's the problem.

If we aren't allowed to detain them... leave. In fact, why are we controlling the problem in the first place?
If we are going to detain them, its really not our problem what a bunch of religious nut officials following sheriat law want to do to them when we dump them back on the shore.

Someone efficent make a decision, e.g. not the labour government.

On the topic of pirates, they were the terrorists of a former time, glorified through history. Ever noticed that?

I think I made a post a few months ago about just that.

Something about "will terrorists be the heroes of pop culture a few hundred years down the road?" or the like.

Werbung:
Back