Must conservatives reject the theory of evolution?

Do conservatives have to reject the theory of evolution?

• I'm a conservative, and I say no.

Votes: 6 66.7%
  • I'm a conservative, and I say yes.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I'm not a conservative, and I say no.

Votes: 3 33.3%
  • I'm not a conservative, and I say yes.

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

PLC1

Staff member
This is the first in a series of three polls, as promised on another thread.

Is rejection of the theory of evolution necessary in order to be considered a conservative? Would you consider a candidate less of a conservative if he/she didn't question the theory of evolution?

Werbung:

Why "must" they?

Do you have some strange notion that conservatives all subscribe to one religion?

Why "must" they?

Do you have some strange notion that conservatives all subscribe to one religion?

It was a question, not a statement. It stems from another thread, in which it seems that people calling themselves conservatives do reject evolution. This poll is to see whether they think it is a part of conservatism or not.

BTW, evolution is science, not religion.

This is the thread about conservatives and three theories: Evolution, global climate change, and relativity. As you can see, it sparked quite a discussion.

And here is where I decided to post this poll, and why.

BTW, evolution is science, not religion.

But certain religions reject evolution. And most people who reject evolution, turn out to subscribe to one of those religions, and frequently use the teachings of their religion as justification for the rejection.

Hence my question.

a better poll question is must a democrat think abortion is ok at any stage in the pregnancy and for any reason :)

as to your question I couldn't click the poll because non fit

Evolution has nothing to do with conservative values, those are good questions for Christian values, Jewish values or Muslim values or any values related to Abrahamic religions that stem from scriptures of the Old Testament that teaches creationism.

a better poll question is must a democrat think abortion is ok at any stage in the pregnancy and for any reason :)

Good one! I've been thinking about one for the other side.

as to your question I couldn't click the poll because non fit

?? What does that mean? Does my poll not work?

Evolution has nothing to do with conservative values, those are good questions for Christian values, Jewish values or Muslim values or any values related to Abrahamic religions that stem from scriptures of the Old Testament that teaches creationism.

Well, not so much Christian values as interpretation of scripture, but OK. Did you vote, or have problems with the poll?

edit: Look for the poll about liberals and abortion here.

But certain religions reject evolution. And most people who reject evolution, turn out to subscribe to one of those religions, and frequently use the teachings of their religion as justification for the rejection.

Hence my question.

Yes, as a rule rejection of evolution is based on religious belief.

I see no conflict between Evolution and Intelligent Design. ID not to be mistaken for Creationism. The former covers a rather small arwea, the latter far more.

Found some interesting PLC quotes of old...

So, you're saying that evolution is unsupportable, but a conservative can disagree and still be a conservative? Do you mean to say that I don't have to try to deny the science of evolution to be a conservative? Well, that makes it a little bit easier.

PLC's already been told that rejection of evolution is not a requirement to call yourself a Conservative.

Good. Maybe creationism is just a part of the Christian Right philosophy. Along with their literal interpretation of the Bible, it is a religious stance rather than a political one. It is still nonsense, of course, but religious nonsense that has become mixed with political nonsense. It must be possible to be a "conservative", then, and still accept scientific research, just not a Christian Conservative.
Obviously PLC is retracing his steps and picking the same old fights but this time with different Conservatives.

Personally, I think that evolution does a good job of explaining, at least in broad terms, just how god created life on earth.

Sounds to me like PLC agrees with ID... Have fun with that one my Conservative brethren.

Sounds to me like PLC agrees with ID... Have fun with that one my Conservative brethren.

True. In fact, as I've said all along, there is no conflict between intelligent design and evolution, just between some people's interpretation of Genesis and evolution. The one is in the realm of science, the other religion/philosophy.

If you consider yourself a Conservative, you should vote.

Do you think people must reject evolution in order to consider themselves Conservatives?

Yes or No?

well ok Ill vote but being conservative has zero to do with religion
so the poll may as well say do conservatives have to like asparagus to be a real conservative...

Werbung:
Good one! I've been thinking about one for the other side.

?? What does that mean? Does my poll not work?

Well, not so much Christian values as interpretation of scripture, but OK. Did you vote, or have problems with the poll?

edit: Look for the poll about liberals and abortion here.

I thought abortion was part of the democrat platform so a poll about it would make sense,

I do not think conservatives first of all even have a platform, though the republican party does and I do not think creationism is on that list.

Also there are a few types of conservatives, there are physical conservatives who are socially liberal, like Rudy Giuliani and others who are socially conservative but physically liberal like many christian who want government programs to help the poor.

People who are full conservatives most likely you would call extreme or whack jobs or something. But only conservatives who happen to be Jewish, Christian or Muslim would need to answer the question about creationism since the concept comes from the hebrew scriptures that forked out into Christianity and Islam.

Back