My recent brush with racism

Petunia

This isn't really political..but I guess it can be with the current slinging of "RACIST" being bantied about as it is with this election..anyway, I thought I'd pop it in the lounge..

Two nights ago I was in Walmart, I was picking up a couple of Fabreze noticeables because I have a ton of $5 coupons for them & I really like the product. So while I was there there were a few other people standing by the fragrance items, we all got talking about noticeables & I offered coupons to a woman & a couple. We were just chatting along, I mentioned how much I like them, that even though the sign said $7.48, they were scanning at $5.97, so the coupon made them only 97 cents..and I mentioned how much I liked them.

It was like a love fest, all joking around & everyone excited that I was sharing coupons & the guy says to me, "wow, there really are nice white people out there". Now mind you..it didn't even click to me that he was black..I would have maybe guess latino if I had to think about it, but I seriously gave it no thought whatsoever (until after his comment), it was completely irrelevant to me. His wife gave him the serious glare, I just chuckled, kept up some small talk & we went our separate ways.

I was talking with my niece on my bluetooth while shopping & she heard the whole conversation..she was stunned!

Can you imagine if the tables were turned?

Werbung:
It was like a love fest, all joking around & everyone excited that I was sharing coupons & the guy says to me, "wow, there really are nice white people out there". Now mind you..it didn't even click to me that he was black..I would have maybe guess latino if I had to think about it, but I seriously gave it no thought whatsoever (until after his comment), it was completely irrelevant to me. His wife gave him the serious glare, I just chuckled, kept up some small talk & we went our separate ways.

So if your initial guess was that he was latino, what made you conclude he was black?

This isn't really political..but I guess it can be with the current slinging of "RACIST" being bantied about as it is with this election..anyway, I thought I'd pop it in the lounge..

Two nights ago I was in Walmart, I was picking up a couple of Fabreze noticeables because I have a ton of $5 coupons for them & I really like the product. So while I was there there were a few other people standing by the fragrance items, we all got talking about noticeables & I offered coupons to a woman & a couple. We were just chatting along, I mentioned how much I like them, that even though the sign said $7.48, they were scanning at $5.97, so the coupon made them only 97 cents..and I mentioned how much I liked them.

I was talking with my niece on my bluetooth while shopping & she heard the whole conversation..she was stunned!

He could still have been mexican or latin of some sort. The racism in latino familys are just as strong as the racism in other cultures. My daddy calls white people snow bunnys crackers whitie exc. but oddly enough he actually likes white people. Upper middle class white people are the people he respects and admires most pretty much every one else he has issues with even his own race(s). We have gone round and round about racism and how its bad but I guess you dont teach old dogs new tricks or what ever.

Anyways, that comment could have easly come from a Mexican as well as a black person.

Yeah, it's rough...as a fellow white I know, life is just terrible, the deck is totally stacked against us. What I wouldn't give to be black or Hispanic, that would really be living the good life...I mean, they get all the breaks don't they?

Yeah, it's rough...as a fellow white I know, life is just terrible, the deck is totally stacked against us. What I wouldn't give to be black or Hispanic, that would really be living the good life...I mean, they get all the breaks don't they?

No, they have a tough life. Uh, wait a sec - one of them, a typical "affirmatice action" recipient w/o any qualifications, is about to become president. But he SHOULD have been Emperor, except da white man held him back.

Yeah and that's at the very, very lowest end of "racism" if it's racism at all. I'm not completely sure that being shocked that someone of a different race is giving things away to others is all that terribly racist.

I mean it probably is just because the person said "White people" but it sure doesn't rise to the level of discriminating against someone for a job... or for housing... or eligibility for a members only club... that sort of thing.

Petunia maybe helped move people closer together. Everyone should go out of their way to break down the bad stereotypes and misconceptions and over time things will steadily get better.

Werbung:

Actually Popeye, I think it is a plus these days. When I was young my maiden name was Gonzalez. I could not get a job unless I went in person; any application I sent in the mail never got me anyplace. In fact where I work now I tried 3 times to get a job while I had my maiden name without ever once getting a call back or an interview. The week after I got married and got a nice white last name I applied and was hired the next week. But things have changed in the last 18 years. I have seriously thought about taking my maiden name back because it’s just easier than it is for white people these days.

I won’t do it because I don’t want things easy just because of something like that but it really is the way things are.

The only people who can score higher without even taking the postal test than me are vets. You get so many points for gender I have men beat on that, you get so many points for minority status, I have two to pick from but I was never a vet so a female who is a minority and a vet would score a bit higher than me even before you start taking the test.
Logically that leaves out a number of white men who were never in the service to have to figure out a way to score higher than you when you got a huge advantage. And if the white man who is not a vet scores the same as you with all your extra points they will pick the minority and save a law suite. Being the mom of a white male, I think about these kinds of things, and I wish things did go on merit alone.

I don’t agree with it but it’s legal so what ever

But my point is, being a minority isn’t the horrible thing it was 18 years ago when I was labeled with it.

I still remember the pharmacist asking me in a serious manner, DO YOU SPEAK ENGLISH. That would never fly in today's world.

Oh and to keep in the topic

Mexicans have issues with white people too. Not all Mexicans just like not all blacks or any other minority, but it is out there. and it would be uncomfortable to think things are going nice and friendly then some random comment like that comes out.

Back