North Korea

TheWaffle

It seems that for a while everyone was scared to death of North Korea. What happened? They didn't get any less scary did they? Just wondering.

Werbung:
What threat are they to us?

Al Qaeda? They pose a clear and real threat.

It's a never-ending cycle. The terrorists were in Afghanistan, we went to Afghanistan and they all fled to Iraq. Then we went to Iraq and now they are all fleeing to Syria...

No..... Not "AlQueda".......Iran and Syria

your assesment of whats happening is extremly Biased in my opinion.....

What threat are they to us?

They are source of the insurgency in Iraq. There can't be a longterm peace in Iraq without cutting off the insurgency at its source, and that means Damascus and Tehran.

They are source of the insurgency in Iraq. There can't be a longterm peace in Iraq without cutting off the insurgency at its source, and that means Damascus and Tehran.

no they aren't.

Furthermore, Iran and Syria are enemies to Al Qaeda.

You do know the difference between Sunni and Shi'ite don't you?

I suppose if you say so then that's all that matters. But wait! I actually have something to back up my position!

http://abcnews.go.com/International/IraqCoverage/story?id=1692347&page=1

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,142785,00.html

How exactly does that tie Iran and Syria to Al Qaeda?

You do realize that at least 90% of the "insurgents" in Iraq, are Iraqi's right?

Both Iran and Syria are SHi'ite. Al Qaeda is Sunni. These two groups are like racist gangs, they hate each others guts.

How exactly does that tie Iran and Syria to Al Qaeda?

You do realize that at least 90% of the "insurgents" in Iraq, are Iraqi's right?

Both Iran and Syria are SHi'ite. Al Qaeda is Sunni. These two groups are like racist gangs, they hate each others guts.

You obviosely didn't read either of the articles I posted.

What I have heard from the exact opposite about the insurgents in Iraq. So the thing I need to ask from you is to prove it.

You obviosely didn't read either of the articles I posted.

What I have heard from the exact opposite about the insurgents in Iraq. So the thing I need to ask from you is to prove it.

Actually since your making the claim that Iran and Syria are somehow allies with Al Qaeda, your the one who needs to prove it. So far you haven't.

The Pentagon says there likely aren't very many foreign fighters in Iraq. USA Today had a fairly good story about this:
Maj. Angela Hildebrant, a military spokeswoman, said the U.S. military estimates the number of foreign fighters by counting the number of foreigners killed in suicide attacks or captured by coalition forces in Iraq.

Only 3.5% of the 13,885 detainees held by U.S. forces in Iraq are foreigners...​

The Washington Post had a valuable story :
"Both Iraqis and coalition people often exaggerate the role of foreign infiltrators and downplay the role of Iraqi resentment in the insurgency," said Anthony H. Cordesman, a former Pentagon official now at the Center for Strategic and International Studies in Washington, who is writing a book about the Iraqi insurgency.

"It makes the government's counterinsurgency efforts seem more legitimate, and it links what's going on in Iraq to the war on terrorism," he continued. "When people go out into battle, they often characterize enemies in the most negative way possible. Obviously there are all kinds of interacting political prejudices they can bring out by blaming outsiders."​
Heres a study (warning, pdf) estimating that between 4 and 10 percent of the roughly 30,000 insurgents are foreign.

A Post article revealed that US military analysts do not think the foreign fighters are major terrorists even if they are linked to al Qaeda:
Many of the suicide bombers appear to have been novices in warfare, attracted by the relative ease of access to Iraq and the lure of quick martyrdom. "This is not al Qaeda's first team," said [Col. Thomas X.] Hammes of the National Defense University. "These are the scrubs who could never get us in the States."​
In short, the US government knows that the insurgency is overwhelmingly Iraqi, and some officials admit it (on or off the record). The Post story quotes a military commander in Iraq:
"The foreign fighters' attacks tend to be more spectacular, but local nationals, the Saddamists, the Iraqi rejectionists, are much more problematic," said Maj. Gen. Joseph J. Taluto, commander of the Army's 42nd Infantry Division. His unit, which lost 59 soldiers during its tour here, was based in the northern city of Tikrit, Hussein's home town, before transferring the region to the 101st Airborne Division this month.

Al Qaeda in Iraq maintains a presence in the region, he said, "but they're not having much of an impact. Their message is not resonating."​
And from State, in the same story:
In Washington, a senior State Department official called foreign fighters "an important element to the insurgency," but added that "it would be a mistake to imagine that this isn't a largely Iraqi-based operation with critical support from foreign elements."​

Actually, I already provided you with links showing how Iran and Syria are providing weapons to insurgents, yet you did not read them, so why should I keep feeding you more if you won't look at it.

Actually, I already provided you with links showing how Iran and Syria are providing weapons to insurgents, yet you did not read them, so why should I keep feeding you more if you won't look at it.

Providing articles stating that Syria and Iran are providing weapons to Insurgents, DOES NOT link Al Qaeda to Syria and Iran.

Either PROVE your statement here, or admit you are wrong.

Obviously you can't.

Werbung:
Providing articles stating that Syria and Iran are providing weapons to Insurgents, DOES NOT link Al Qaeda to Syria and Iran.

Either PROVE your statement here, or admit you are wrong.

Obviously you can't.

I never said Iran and Syria were linked to Al Qaeda. I said they were fueling the insurgency.

Back