NY Gov. Spitzer caught in prostitution ring

kida

Gov. Eliot Spitzer has been caught on a federal wiretap arranging to meet with a high-priced prostitute at a Washington hotel last month, according to a person briefed on the federal investigation.

An affidavit in the federal investigation into a prostitution ring said that a wiretap recording captured a man identified as Client 9 on a telephone call confirming plans to have a woman travel from New York to Washington, where he had reserved a hotel room. The person briefed on the case identified Mr. Spitzer as Client 9.

Mr. Spitzer today made a brief public appearance during which he apologized for his behavior, and described it as a “private matter.”

“I have acted in a way that violates my obligation to my family and violates my or any sense of right or wrong,” said Mr. Spitzer, who appeared with his wife Silda at his Manhattan office. “I apologize first and most importantly to my family. I apologize to the public to whom I promised better.”

“I have disappointed and failed to live up to the standard I expected of myself. I must now dedicate some time to regain the trust of my family.”

Before speaking, Mr. Spitzer stood with his arm around his wife; the two nodded and then strode forward together to face more than 100 reporters.

Both had glassy, tear-filled eyes, but they did not cry.

The governor spoke for perhaps a minute and did not address his political future.

He declined to take questions and promised to report back soon. As he went to leave, three reporters screamed out, "Are you resigning? Are you resigning?", and Mr. Spitzer charged out of the room, slamming the door.
More here.

Will he resign? Should he?

Werbung:
Hillary can't be happy about this. As far as I know she hasn't made any statements about it, but it looks like it's going to mess up her delegate count:

If New York Gov. Eliot Spitzer resigns, as is widely anticipated, Democratic presidential candidate Sen. Hillary Clinton will be down one superdelegate. The scandal-tainted governor and his Lt. Gov. David Patterson currently are two of the roughly 800 superdelegates who will also cast ballots at the August nominating convention. Both are public backers of Clinton.

If Spitzer resigns, New York succession laws provide for Paterson to assume the role of governor until the term expires in 2010. Here’s the rub: succession law also provides for the president of the state senate to become lieutenant governor. That man is Joseph Bruno, a Republican and political enemy of Spitzer.

It is safe to say that Bruno will not be casting a ballot at the Democratic National Convention in Denver.

The Democratic National Committee today confirmed that New York would lose Spitzer’s superdelegate slot.
WSJ

Just in this morning. He's supposed to hold a press conference at 11:30 ET:
A top state official says New York Gov. Eliot Spitzer has decided to resign amid a prostitution scandal.The official tells The Associated Press the resignation would be effective Monday.
AP

Watching the news right now, Spitzer is announcing his intention to resign,
gave David Patterson his blessing as new governor.

it's just as well. now there won't be tons of people all distracted by it, and NY can move on with business. sorry end to a promising career, although i've been hearing on the news all of a sudden that he didn't really have very many good friends, people just supported him because he was supposedly tough on white collar crime

Now that he's resigned, should he face criminal charges? He could face charges for soliciting prostitution, but more likely than that he could be in trouble for structuring and money laundering.
Reuters

Werbung:
My question has always related to his wife, Silda. Why would she stand with him at the press conference? Had he not destroyed their marriage and their reputation?

I understand if she forgave him, but did she really? Was it another politically saavy move?

Back