Obama shying away from Assult weapons Ban?

The Scotsman

President Obama and his Mexican counterpart, Felipe Calderón, outlined a common approach Thursday to combating drug violence, climate change and trade disputes but appeared to part ways over the urgency of reinstating a U.S. ban on assault weapons.

On his first presidential visit to Mexico, Obama praised Calderón for taking on the drug cartels, whose arsenals and economic power are threatening the integrity of the Mexican state. Obama said he will push the U.S. Senate to ratify an inter-American weapons-trafficking treaty designed to curb the flow of guns and ammunition to cartels and other armed groups in the hemisphere.

But he indicated that while he favors reinstating the U.S. ban on assault weapons, which Congress allowed to expire five years ago, the move would face too much political opposition to happen soon. He said better enforcing existing laws and increasing U.S. vigilance on the border to prevent weapons smuggling, as his administration has begun to do, would have a more immediate effect on stopping U.S.-made weapons from reaching Mexico's cartels.

"I believe we can respect the Second Amendment of the Constitution ... and curb the flow of assault weapons to Mexico," Obama said at a news conference with Calderón at Los Pinos, the presidential compound. "None of us are under the illusion this would be easy."

http://seattletimes.nwsource.com/html/politics/2009073300_mex17.html

As I understand it over 150,000 weapons have been seized of which 16,000 have been assault weapons of that 9 out of 10 come from the US - which is just under 10%. So, at the moment the argument is possibly too weak as it just doesn't quite stack up but as he says "the move would face too much political opposition to happen soon ".......make of that what you will........to this dumb Scot though it smacks of a possible re-shuffling of the decks during his second term so that he has more liberals on board who will be looking to move the motion and force the issue?

Werbung:
Re: Obama shying away from Assult waepons Ban?

You always have such good information and often before people here in the states. Thanks for the update, now Ill have time to get me a few guns!

obama is a smart guy... smart enough to know that anything labeled a "Ban" will have a negative impact on him in the polls.

Ban tobacco? Nope, tax the crap out of it!

Ban Guns? Nope, tax the crap out of them!

Ban Ammunition? Nope, tax the crap out of it!

Ban CO2 emissions? Nope, tax the crap out of them!

"If it moves, tax it. If it keeps moving, regulate it. And if it stops moving, subsidize it."-- Ronald Reagan

Werbung:
As I understand it over 150,000 weapons have been seized of which 16,000 have been assault weapons of that 9 out of 10 come from the US - which is just under 10%. So, at the moment the argument is possibly too weak as it just doesn't quite stack up but as he says "the move would face too much political opposition to happen soon ".......make of that what you will........to this dumb Scot though it smacks of a possible re-shuffling of the decks during his second term so that he has more liberals on board who will be looking to move the motion and force the issue?

16000 assault rifles...could due quite a bit of damage I would suggest regardless of the percent. And handguns are still the most deadly weapons. Also those with guns, are also statistically the most likely ones to die as a result of them not anyone threatening them. But we have a legal right to arms, though I would suggest everyone here agrees to limits...only question is where the line is for each person.

Back