Polygamy... yay?

sarah

What do you think of polygamists? Is it a valid religious/ social choice, which should be legal, or should it remain illegal. I personally think it may be all right so long as the people involved are aware of the situation and approve of it. I am not condoning it, but I think they should have some right to decide what they want to do. My main objection is with polygamists who live secret lives with multiple families.
What do you think?

here it is:
http://www.cnn.com/2006/US/08/19/polygamy.rally.ap/index.html

Werbung:
It is illegal because of how some folks interpret the Bible. This is a law spawn out of a spiritual belief. Personally, it isn't for me but if a man or woman thinks that they can handle more than one spouse fine. The only time I have an issue is when it involved the marrying of young girls (17 and younger). if you are a consenting adult then it is a personal decision.

Moved to Religion and Philosophy since polygamy has a religious undertones.
kokotai said:
It is illegal because of how some folks interpret the Bible. This is a law spawn out of a spiritual belief. Personally, it isn't for me but if a man or woman thinks that they can handle more than one spouse fine. The only time I have an issue is when it involved the marrying of young girls (17 and younger). if you are a consenting adult then it is a personal decision.

Well said.

My only other issue with polyamy is the fact that a lot of polygamist families are on welfare and recieve other forms of social services. If you have multiple wives with kids between them, you need to raise them without the help of the state. Taxpayers who don't agree with polygamy should not have to subsidize them.

I support polygamy only in the cases which do not require government subsidation. and in the cases where there is no child abuse and/or other family issues.

I certainly wouldn't want to live that way, but I guess I don't see anything wrong with it as long as it's all out in the open.

Sarah, well put. Personally I don't think I could handle another lady running around here because I would be too jealous, unless she liked to cook and clean and let me sleep in. ;)

It is hard enough to make one marriage work let alone two or more. You would also have to deal with the issues that arise that only affect polygamist households (jealously, multiple disputes , etc...).

I certainly wouldn't want to live that way but as long as two (or three) consenting adults want to do it, then who am I to stop them.

The key here is consenting, and knowing adults. Besides those three standards, I say let them be.

I have a hard time with this topic. I think it takes advantage of woman who are not self confident or lack education. Sometimes i think they might be forced into it. I cant image anyone no matter the situation that would choose to live as one of many wife's to a man. I'm sure its a cultural thing or whatever but i cant except it as normal thinking. To me its like something they were forced into.

It is a part of some religions. Many of these women know what they are getting into, and are empowered by the fact that their faith tells them it is the right way to live.

i guess i just have a problem with the whole issue like that guy who was giving away 13 year olds in arranged marriages that was caught a few days ago. How much free will did they actually have in the issue? personally i don't think too much.

I think as far a knowing adults in a concentual situation I guess i see no problem with it.

peace

-Todd

It is a part of some religions. Many of these women know what they are getting into, and are empowered by the fact that their faith tells them it is the right way to live.

That is why I stressed the fact that consenting, knowledgeable adults should have the free will to take part in polygamy. I in no way condoned child marriage, or the trade of children into marriage.

OK.....

I never meant to imply you did and you have stated your position. Only I do think in the majority of cases it is done it is not exactly a free choice.....

I appologize for any confusion.

peace

-Todd

That is why I stressed the fact that consenting, knowledgeable adults should have the free will to take part in polygamy. I in no way condoned child marriage, or the trade of children into marriage.

In this instance empowered = brainwashed. IMO.

Werbung:
A couple who I used to hang out with brought another woman in to live with them, share household duties, and have access to the husband for sex. So even though they never called it polygamy, it was pretty much a similar situation. Lo and behold, the marriage eventually ended in divorce.

Back