Prof calls cops when student mentions guns in speech

Little-Acorn

Couple of interesting points (unsurprisingly) about this one, completely aside from the hysteria of the professor.

Note for you anti-gun-rights folks who insist that gun registration will NOT lead to confiscation: When the cops called this student in, and read to him a list of all the guns he (legally) owns, where did they get that info?

Answer: From gun registration records, evidently kept by his state government.

Suppose a hurricane ever hits there (unlikely in Connecticut, I know), and the local Powers That Be decide that the populace is better off without their own personal weapons than with them. And they decide to go around forcibly collecting them (as has already happened in a recent hurricane-ravaged area in the United States). Do you think they will NOT go into those gun registration records first, to get information on exactly where to go and what to look for when they got there?

Kudoes to this student, however. He kept his cool, and is now responding to the incident in a calm, collected, and UNYIELDING way. Keep up the good work! The more the gun-rights-haters try stuff like this, the more they expose themselves as the nutcase paranoids they are.

-------------------------------------

http://www.wnd.com/index.php?fa=PAGE.view&pageId=90740

Prof calls cops when student mentions guns in speech

'If you can’t talk about the 2nd Amendment, what happened to the 1st Amendment?'

Posted: March 04, 2009
11:40 pm Eastern

A professor at a Connecticut school has sparked controversy by calling police when a student talked about the Second Amendment during a class speech.

The report comes from the Recorder, a newspaper at Central Connecticut State University, which cited the case of student John Wahlberg.

The student was fulfilling an assignment for his Communications 140 class that required him to discuss a "relevant issue in the media" when he and two other students on a team chose to talk about school violence, including recent events such as the 2007 shootings that left nearly three dozen people dead at Virginia Tech University.

Wahlberg made the point during his Oct. 3, 2008, class presentation that if students were allowed to carry concealed weapons on campus, the violence could have been stopped earlier. He discussed the concept of college campus gun-free zones.

That evening, the Recorder said, Wahlberg got a call from campus police officers who "requested" his presence at their station. When he arrived, officers listed firearms that were registered to him and asked him where they were.

Apparently his professor, Paula Anderson, had filed a campus police department complaint about his speech. Police officers reported she said students were "scared and uncomfortable" during his presention.

Wahlberg told the newspaper he wasn't worried, "because as a law-abiding gun owner, I have a thorough understanding of state gun laws as well as unwavering safety practices."

But he said he was hit with a "general sense of disbelief" when officers listed his guns.

Anderson, in a written comment, said, "It is also my responsibility as a teacher to protect the well being of our students, and the campus community at all times. As such, when deemed necessary because of any perceived risks, I seek guidance and consultation from the chair of my department, the dean and any relevant university officials."

Wahlberg doesn't believe the fancy explanation is any reason to file a complaint.

"I don't think that Professor Anderson was justified in calling the CCSU police over a clearly nonthreatening matter. Although the topic of discussion may have made a few individuals uncomfortable, there was no need to label me as a threat," he told the newspaper.

"The actions of Professor Anderson made me so uncomfortable, that I didn't attend several classes. The only appropriate action taken by the professor was to excuse my absences."

Sara Adler of the on-campus marksmanship club asked, "If you can't talk about the Second Amendment, what happened to the First Amendment?"

According to a Fox News report, Wahlberg, 23 and a senior, knows guns are prohibited on the school campus and in residence halls, but he lives 20 miles away and keeps his weapons in a safe.

Robert Shibley, vice president of the Foundation for Individual Rights in Education, said, "If all he did was discuss reasons for allowing guns on campus, it seems a bit much to call the police and grill him about it.

"If you go after students for just discussing an idea, that goes against everything a university is supposed to stand for," he said.

WND has reported on a number of similar situations, including recently when a Colorado high school student was informed of a 10-day suspension for having non-functioning drill team rifle replicas in her car in a parking lot at school.

A Texas school also threatened its students for even talking about guns, and a shirt was banished from a school campus because it had the image of a gun.

In another case, a student was suspended simply for advocating for the Second Amendment.

Werbung:
Maybe It's time for the professor to find out how damaging word of mouth can be that doesn't have to mention guns. Careers are ruined this way, because universities want money.

Simply unbelievable... except this is where our lame 'higher UN-education' is going.

Bachoor@ccsu.edu

If you'd like to let them know how their support of "freedom of speech" should work both ways.

Every gun I ever bought got stolen. I filed police reports on all of them. The police and I are equally baffled about why it is my guns are stolen so much more than guns in general.

Then I found some stashed in a dumpster behind my house. so I told the police they were found. But they were stolen again. I also bought some back at the pawn shop.

Really, it has gotten so confusing that I don't even know what guns I have and what guns I don't have. :)

College campuses are microcosims of what we can expect if liberalism grows any more.

In fairness, there are campuses out there that this would never happen on. But this is ridiculous on the part of the professor.

Werbung:
Back