dogtowner

Staff member
the English have a knack of eviscerating things

Lunging, Flailing, Mispunching

Terry Eagleton

• The God Delusion by Richard Dawkins
    Bantam, 406 pp, £20.00, October 2006, ISBN 0 593 05548 9

and then it gets ugly

Imagine someone holding forth on biology whose only knowledge of the subject is the Book of British Birds, and you have a rough idea of what it feels like to read Richard Dawkins on theology. Card-carrying rationalists like Dawkins, who is the nearest thing to a professional atheist we have had since Bertrand Russell, are in one sense the least well-equipped to understand what they castigate, since they don’t believe there is anything there to be understood, or at least anything worth understanding. This is why they invariably come up with vulgar caricatures of religious faith that would make a first-year theology student wince. The more they detest religion, the more ill-informed their criticisms of it tend to be. If they were asked to pass judgment on phenomenology or the geopolitics of South Asia, they would no doubt bone up on the question as assiduously as they could. When it comes to theology, however, any shoddy old travesty will pass muster. These days, theology is the queen of the sciences in a rather less august sense of the word than in its medieval heyday.

lots more at the lin k if you enjoy a good blood letting.

Werbung:
Dawkins is a genius and is doing great work in helping people to understand that religion is an invention of mankind to put wealth and power in the hands of the few

It is clear that the less educated you are the more likely you are to be religious

That explains a lot

In a previous life Terry Eagleton would have been scoffing at those idiots who thinl that the earth goes round the sun or that evolution is nonesense

In twenty tears time the church will adopt the views expressed in the God delusion and cclaim them as their own insisting that god doesn't exist

Ha ha ha

In a previous life Terry Eagleton would have been scoffing at those idiots who thinl that the earth goes round the sun or that evolution is nonesense

In twenty tears time the church will adopt the views expressed in the God delusion and cclaim them as their own insisting that god doesn't exist

Ha ha ha

or more likely the same small band of professional atheist wannabes will still be trying to peddle their wares.

or more likely the same small band of professional atheist wannabes will still be trying to peddle their wares.
Please, recognize that people like Dawkins are Anti-Theists, they oppose the belief in God and Religion. As an Atheist, who does not oppose the belief in God or Religion, and therefore has no hatred or bogotry towards Theists or Theism, I believe the distinction is necessary.

Please, recognize that people like Dawkins are Anti-Theists, they oppose the belief in God and Religion. As an Atheist, who does not oppose the belief in God or Religion, and therefore has no hatred or bogotry towards Theists or Theism, I believe the distinction is necessary.

sorry, thought my use of the term "professional atheist" covered that base.

sorry, thought my use of the term "professional atheist" covered that base.
Thank you dogtower. I think the label for Dawkins and Hitchens should be Atheist fanatic. Like religious fanatics they seem willing to attack a belief system without studying it or understanding it. Not all atheist are the same. Like members of other religions many are tolerant of other views.

Thank you dogtower. I think the label for Dawkins and Hitchens should be Atheist fanatic. Like religious fanatics they seem willing to attack a belief system without studying it or understanding it. Not all atheist are the same. Like members of other religions many are tolerant of other views.

agreed

Werbung:
Dawkins is a genius and he has thouands of years of indoctrination to counter. When you consider how repulsive and ridculous religion is and that the republican party is fielding evolution-denyers in 2012 you can forgive for getting slightly redical.

Back