Rules For Radicals

I think education would help no more than 50% of the population. The other 50% will overwhelm the world with too high a growth rate. It is a deep instinct for couples to have families. Education can't cut through that.

No but it can't hurt. I cannot get on board to a program that ends up with more abortions, later term abortions and killing of babies because they do not have the right gender.

So maybe you are right and we should let the next generation figure it out, though I hate that we have already put all of our problems on the next generation. Our generation sucks!

Werbung:
Family size tends to relate to a family's perceived needs for perpetuating the family. When families need cheap labor, as on family farms, families will tend towards being large. When infant and child mortality is high, families will tend to be large. When parents need children to take care of them in their old age, families tend to be large. When families do well and their standard of living rises, they tend to have fewer children so that the family's accumulating wealth isn't sucked away into child care needs.

These are all natural occurring trends.

Yes, I agree those all are true. Are you for the severe birth control idea?

Or do you have another idea for dealing with over population.

Personally I am not sure we are having a problem with over population except in big cities, if we were willing to spread out it wouldn't be so crowded. But going with the argument that we are I am willing to brain storm ideas :)

No but it can't hurt. I cannot get on board to a program that ends up with more abortions, later term abortions and killing of babies because they do not have the right gender.

So maybe you are right and we should let the next generation figure it out, though I hate that we have already put all of our problems on the next generation. Our generation sucks!
I think the current generation of babies will have to face the problem. The population has more than tripled since I was born. When it triples again, we will have deep problems. The problems are starting in Africa with starvation and in Syria with genocide. When will it come to America? It's turning me into a hysterical drama queen.

Yes, I agree those all are true. Are you for the severe birth control idea?

Or do you have another idea for dealing with over population.

Personally I am not sure we are having a problem with over population except in big cities, if we were willing to spread out it wouldn't be so crowded. But going with the argument that we are I am willing to brain storm ideas :)

No. The problem is not real bad now, but we should be preparing for a better future that can sustain the population when it triples, perhaps in the life time of todays babies.

I think the current generation of babies will have to face the problem. The population has more than tripled since I was born. When it triples again, we will have deep problems. The problems are starting in Africa with starvation and in Syria with genocide. When will it come to America? It's turning me into a hysterical drama queen.

We send condoms to Africa and other 3d world places and other forms of birth control and we send people who educate them. Why has it not worked?

The genocide I thought was one religion trying to get rid of another, is it over food or religion?

It's a strange situation we are in. On one hand we send millions or billions of dollars to places like Africa to save the children, reduce HIV so people survive and on the other hand we worry that they are over populating the planet.

Don't get me wrong, I am for sending help, saving kids and family's but it is kind of strange that we are trying to save them and also consider their over population the problem.

But we got to help where we can.

Had I known Hitler's mom while she was pregnant and she told me she was getting an abortion, I would have tried to talk her into another alternative because he would just be a baby. Even knowing later he would be a horrible problem.

We send condoms to Africa and other 3d world places and other forms of birth control and we send people who educate them. Why has it not worked?
It is not thorough enough.
The genocide I thought was one religion trying to get rid of another, is it over food or religion?
Probably religion, but someday it will be over food.
It's a strange situation we are in. On one hand we send millions or billions of dollars to places like Africa to save the children, reduce HIV so people survive and on the other hand we worry that they are over populating the planet.

Don't get me wrong, I am for sending help, saving kids and family's but it is kind of strange that we are trying to save them and also consider their over population the problem.

But we got to help where we can.
The difference is saving sentient beings versus preventing them in the first place. That is the tragedy of the rate of death. Conscious beings will suffer.
Had I known Hitler's mom while she was pregnant and she told me she was getting an abortion, I would have tried to talk her into another alternative because he would just be a baby. Even knowing later he would be a horrible problem.
That is too abstract for me.

I spend far too many hours thinking about stuff like this. My mother and Grandmother both accused me of thinking too much :(
My wife is the same way. I try to think about things that I can do something about. But the current subject kind of violates that maxim.

I think the four horsemen will eventually reverse population growth, just as they always have.

War: We've never given that one up, and have invented more and more efficient methods of killing people.
Famine: If the population outruns the food supply, that horseman will adjust the numbers downward.
Pestilence: We think we've got our old enemies, the microbes, at bay, but it is really a race between their ability to evolve resistance to our antibiotics, and our ability to develop new ones.

Try reading some of Robin Cook's stuff sometime. Scary.
Death: That one is a consequence of the other three, of course.

Or, we could begin to act like rational beings, and limit our numbers through birth control, but I don't see that happening any time soon.

Maybe the next intelligent organism that evolves on this planet will do better.

I think the four horsemen will eventually reverse population growth, just as they always have.

War: We've never given that one up, and have invented more and more efficient methods of killing people.
Famine: If the population outruns the food supply, that horseman will adjust the numbers downward.
Pestilence: We think we've got our old enemies, the microbes, at bay, but it is really a race between their ability to evolve resistance to our antibiotics, and our ability to develop new ones.

Try reading some of Robin Cook's stuff sometime. Scary.
Death: That one is a consequence of the other three, of course.

Or, we could begin to act like rational beings, and limit our numbers through birth control, but I don't see that happening any time soon.

Maybe the next intelligent organism that evolves on this planet will do better.

I think you have it right with the 4 horsemen but I wasn't going to be the one to bring religion into it :)

limit our numbers through birth control as in pills and condoms or severe birth control like the way they do things in China?

I think you have it right with the 4 horsemen but I wasn't going to be the one to bring religion into it :)
It's a great metaphor.
limit our numbers through birth control as in pills and condoms or severe birth control like the way they do things in China?

Let's see. War, Famine, Pestilence, or killing babies. Let's go to the studio audience for suggestions before I spin the wheel of death.

But seriously, I see no easy way out. With our infestation of the planet with humans, there seems to be no way to solve the dilemma. The next generation will face it if we don't face it now, but we don't know how to face it now so we do the next best thing, denial, or ignore the problem.

I'd opt for the first option, myself. "severe birth control" requires a heavy handed, powerful, and authoritarian government, like they have in China. It might work for them, but I'd not want to live in such a society.

There is a positive correlation between the effectiveness of birth control and education, particularly the education of women.

I'd opt for the first option, myself. "severe birth control" requires a heavy handed, powerful, and authoritarian government, like they have in China. It might work for them, but I'd not want to live in such a society.

There is a positive correlation between the effectiveness of birth control and education, particularly the education of women.

That means the least educated women will have the most kids. That would happen in the more poverty stricken areas, and will probably lead to starvation and pestilence.

That means the least educated women will have the most kids. That would happen in the more poverty stricken areas, and will probably lead to starvation and pestilence.

No will probably about it. It does, and is resulting in starvation and pestilence, and has been for a very long time now.

That's why education, particularly for those living in poverty stricken areas, is so important.

Werbung:
Back