Shootin' Dogs From Planes?

Werbung:
Why do they do it in planes? Is it because there is so much land to cover and to much snow or hills?

I love wolves but also I know people need to eat. What if we just neutered a percentage of them? So they don’t re produce to quickly? This way they don’t have to die but we can control the population.

Hey shells I think that we should contact Raytheon and see if we can give them wolves an edge..............

pat6.jpg

I am curious as to anyones thoughts on the practice of hunting wolves from airplanes? This is an ongoing practice in Alaska in certain places to minimize predator species(wolves) in an effort to increase prey species(moose&caribou) for human consumption. The past winter netted 124 wolves shot from airplanes.
http://www.adn.com/news/alaska/wildlife/wolves/story/410461.html
This is not "hunting", but "culling" by government shooters to control the Wolf population.

On an emotional level, it seems terribly cruel.

What I don't know is what would keep the wolf numbers under control if they weren't culled by hunting?

And, are they being killed because they tend to overpopulate, or in order to preserve livestock being grazed in their territory?

Why do they do it in planes? Is it because there is so much land to cover and to much snow or hills?
Yes, both.
I love wolves but also I know people need to eat. What if we just neutered a percentage of them? So they don’t re produce to quickly? This way they don’t have to die but we can control the population.
Neutering practices have been looked at as an option. There are issues with it that make it less attractive to shooting them.

Why not just throw a porkchop in a cage, capture the wolves and "relocate" them?

That is done elsewhere. Most of the wolves that are re-introduced into places like Idaho, Montana and I believe Wisconsin and maybe Colorado have all come Alaska.

This is not "hunting", but "culling" by government shooters to control the Wolf population.

Well that depends on the definition one chooses to have for either word.

As a side note, the operation happens with a team of two generally. A pilot and a gunner. They are required to retrieve any downed wolves they take and to harvest the fur. Simply killing and ditching, is strictly illegal and can result in losing any property involved. Including aircraft worth more than a house.

Werbung:
Yes, both.

Neutering practices have been looked at as an option. There are issues with it that make it less attractive to shooting them.

Well,

Alaska is big cant they go live in the part people dont live?

Bring them to Oregon, we are 50 percent government land, that no one will ever buy. We can let them live in our forest.

Back