Should people be allowed to sell their organs?

There would have to be some sort of regulations on a market such as this, if there weren't we would have a market in which the rich would screw the poor. I have not looked too deeply into this issue in particular, so if anyone could fill me in as to any proposed rules and regulations (if any) it would be greatly appreciated.

Werbung:
Thing is that often regulations are made such that the rich can screw the poor.

leaving religious beliefs at the door.
people should be able to sell there organs.
i believe this for a few reasons, lets start with 50,000 people in the u.s.a. needed a kidney operation done last year, 10,000. were done. kidney operations cost between like 45-60K for the patient.everyone else gets paid, the people who find the organ, the people who take it out, transport it and the doctors who put it in. now if an incentive was offered like.........50k for a kidney, i do think that the price for the operation would go down as well as the number of operations done each year.
now the arguments of....only the rich would get a kidney...sorry but no, nothing would change except people who donate would get paid. there would still be waiting lists like there is now, but you wouldnt have to wait 5 years for a kidney. waiting lists would go down considerably...
and finally the argument...the poor would get screwed...now this one is tough because 50 k is very tempting. but you have to realize that not everyone would be eligible to donate a kidney, they wouldnt be rounding up people on the street and carving them open. there would be screening processes, medical backround checks, family backround checks.....so i say if your healthy enough to donate a kidney, your not in that bad of shape.

...now this one is tough because 50 k is very tempting. but you have to realize that not everyone would be eligible to donate a kidney, they wouldnt be rounding up people on the street and carving them open. there would be screening processes, medical backround checks, family backround checks.....so i say if your healthy enough to donate a kidney, your not in that bad of shape.

And thus we have economically driven discrimination. As to how significant this actually is deontologically, I haven't thought it through yet.

We've already discussed what risks there are, so now I believe the discussion has largely turned to weighing them up. I would caution against presuming people have more autonomy than they actually might have, though.

Werbung:
To tell you the truth i am far from rich but i think i want my kidney far more then I want 50 grand (and i don't see many other people thinking differently unless they were very desprate.) The most likly thing would be that they would get most of the doners from 3rd world countries who are very despriate and on the verge of starving. basically it will just be another factor in colonialism. The poor give up their organs to give them to the rich.

leaving religious beliefs at the door.
people should be able to sell there organs.
i believe this for a few reasons, lets start with 50,000 people in the u.s.a. needed a kidney operation done last year, 10,000. were done. kidney operations cost between like 45-60K for the patient.everyone else gets paid, the people who find the organ, the people who take it out, transport it and the doctors who put it in. now if an incentive was offered like.........50k for a kidney, i do think that the price for the operation would go down as well as the number of operations done each year.
now the arguments of....only the rich would get a kidney...sorry but no, nothing would change except people who donate would get paid. there would still be waiting lists like there is now, but you wouldnt have to wait 5 years for a kidney. waiting lists would go down considerably...
and finally the argument...the poor would get screwed...now this one is tough because 50 k is very tempting. but you have to realize that not everyone would be eligible to donate a kidney, they wouldnt be rounding up people on the street and carving them open. there would be screening processes, medical backround checks, family backround checks.....so i say if your healthy enough to donate a kidney, your not in that bad of shape.

Back