organ donors program

Pandora

Does anyone here think this sort of program would work? I think it could work.

Currently not enough people are organ donors so the price of organs is high and the availability of organs is low. People are on long waiting lists and the medical bills are enormous.

What if we had a new law allowing families to work with the hospitals that anyone who at their death had organs that are still usable (if they signed an agreement before death) could sell the organs to the hospital instead of giving them.

It may be the person would be selling their organs to another person rather than a hospital, I am not sure of all the details.

Much more people would sign up for the program, making the supply of organs high and the price of organs low.

Let’s say me for example. If I were able to leave my kids 80 or 100 thousand extra dollars because my liver, both kidneys, heart, corneas were good for transplants.

Over time the price for organs would lower because the supply would be much higher, but it would help everyone. And there would always be some $$ for the organs.

The hospitals would have more organs to work with, the people on waiting lists would not stay on the lists long and perhaps the lists would end completely. And the families would have some kind of life insurance type money to leave their families. I don’t see anyone losing, though over time I can see the price of organs going down as the supply rises.

The only problem I can see is people “offing’ their relatives so they can get the organ money, but anyone that sick would probably do it for life insurance anyways.

I got this idea In part because there is a new program they are considering implementing ( I think it might be only Oregon based ) where if you are willing to give up one of your working kidneys they will pay for the surgery and then pay you 60 thousand dollars and pay your medical bills for the rest of your life. I thought gosh why not sell both  then that lead to my idea at top. If organs are so desperately needed they are willing to start a program like this, then my idea should work well.

Werbung:
Careful Obamanation,
Your slipping into some liberal medical agenda issues....

On a personal note, I am a organ donor already and if my day should come, and my parts can be used, giving someone that extra chance at life, I woulnt want money for it.

In the UK we too donate. No payment is made and none expected.

We have a national donors register and carry donor cards which looks like this..

carry_a_card.jpg

...so that in the event of your death you have given prior consent to the removal of your bits and bobs. We are having a debate along the lines of negative consent in that everyone is to be considered a donor and that if you do not wish to donate you physically have to opt out of the whole scheme.

I simply cannot believe you lot buy and sell your parts for cash :eek:

Careful Obamanation,
Your slipping into some liberal medical agenda issues....

On a personal note, I am a organ donor already and if my day should come, and my parts can be used, giving someone that extra chance at life, I woulnt want money for it.

NO WAY this is pure capitalism. I want to sell my organs = Capitalism :p

In the UK we too donate. No payment is made and none expected.

We have a national donors register and carry donor cards which looks like this..

carry_a_card.jpg

...so that in the event of your death you have given prior consent to the removal of your bits and bobs. We are having a debate along the lines of negative consent in that everyone is to be considered a donor and that if you do not wish to donate you physically have to opt out of the whole scheme.

I simply cannot believe you lot buy and sell your parts for cash :eek:

Someone is making a profit off of these organs, I say let it be my own kids making it instead of some hospital some place or even worse the dang government. It’s my kidney I should be able to sell it if I want.

What ever happened to I can do what I want with my own body???

*Grin*

Seriously though, I think it would work. And everyone would get something out of it.

I am currently not a donor; I do not trust the system and saw Coma to many times.

Someone is making a profit off of these organs, I say let it be my own kids making it instead of some hospital some place or even worse the dang government. It’s my kidney I should be able to sell it if I want.

What ever happened to I can do what I want with my own body???

*Grin*

Seriously though, I think it would work. And everyone would get something out of it.

I am currently not a donor; I do not trust the system and saw Coma to many times.

I'm not a donor either because it's obvious that money and influence moves one to the front of the recipient list. For example Pa.s former governor and now Sen., Bob Casey. When Casey's heart and liver deteriorated, he was told he needed a double transplant, and he got one the very next day.

The there's Mickey Mantle, Hall of Fame center fielder for the NY Yankees. Mantle had liver cancer, hepatitis, and cirrhosis of the liver. The latter was attributed to his many years as an alcoholic. Mantle's name stayed on the waiting list all of 48 hours before he received a new liver.

I used to have my driver's license saying I was an organ donor, but, because of the inequity in the system, no more. I don't want some celebrity or fat cat with even the chance of receiving any of my organs over someone truly in need.

I know someone that needs a heart transplant. She is 63 years old and declined being put on the list for a donar. She said "I've lived a full life so a new heart should go to someone younger". Admirable, I think . . . and logical to those making that kind of choice.

I'm not a donor either because it's obvious that money and influence moves one to the front of the recipient list. For example Pa.s former governor and now Sen., Bob Casey. When Casey's heart and liver deteriorated, he was told he needed a double transplant, and he got one the very next day.

The there's Mickey Mantle, Hall of Fame center fielder for the NY Yankees. Mantle had liver cancer, hepatitis, and cirrhosis of the liver. The latter was attributed to his many years as an alcoholic. Mantle's name stayed on the waiting list all of 48 hours before he received a new liver.

I used to have my driver's license saying I was an organ donor, but, because of the inequity in the system, no more. I don't want some celebrity or fat cat with even the chance of receiving any of my organs over someone truly in need.

That was a very very good point. I agree with you on this. But do you think if people were able to "sell" after death of course, and the money goes to their families. More people would do it and there would be more to go around so even really poor would be able to get a kidney or liver.

We here in Oregon have a guy on death row, who is on the list to get a kidney. I think that is funny but not funny haha.

I know someone that needs a heart transplant. She is 63 years old and declined being put on the list for a donar. She said "I've lived a full life so a new heart should go to someone younger". Admirable, I think . . . and logical to those making that kind of choice.

Oh that is so sweet of her but also kind of sad. If there were enough hearts to go around, do you think she would want the transplant?

She loves life and would take the transplant if there were enough to go around.

What do you think about what I posted? Being able to let your organs be sold at your death and the money going to your family. Something like life insurance. Do you think more people would sign up for it? Making it where there were more organs to go around, for people like your friend?

We have to figure out something, its sad with so many people on lists just waiting for help.

What do you think about what I posted? Being able to let your organs be sold at your death and the money going to your family. Something like life insurance. Do you think more people would sign up for it? Making it where there were more organs to go around, for people like your friend?

We have to figure out something, its sad with so many people on lists just waiting for help.

Your post is something to think about. Hopefully, we will be able to figure out something beneficial to all. Maybe stem cell research, but then again, that's another subject to debate I guess.

Werbung:
Your post is something to think about. Hopefully, we will be able to figure out something beneficial to all. Maybe stem cell research, but then again, that's another subject to debate I guess.

I thought about that too. They have done some great things with adult stem cells. They have been able to grow a persons organs from the stem cells in their own noses, and those organs they are making are having a small rejection rates, because they come from the persons own cells.

so this would work but the cost probably woudl be great, to great for someone poor at least till its more advanced and there would be no bennys for the family of the person who died. but it is a good idea.

Back