Specific examples of McCain getting paid off by Big Oil

Popeye

As has already been reported, McCain received over a million, in the last half of June alone, from oil company execs after his speech calling for a lifting of the offshore drilling ban on 6-16.

Here are some specific examples, check out the donations and the dates given, from 10 Hess Corporation (oil company based in NYC) execs and/or members of their families just days after McCain's reversal on the 16th. BTW, $28,500 is the maximum allowed.

J. Barclay Collins Hess Corp. Attorney $28,500 (6-19)
John B Hess Hess Corp. Executive $28,500 (6-24)
Susan K Hess Hess Corp. Homemaker $28,5000 (6-24)
Norma W Hess Hess Corp. retired $28,500 (6-24)
John J O'Connor Hess Corp, Executive $28,500 (6-24)
Lawrence Ornstein Hess Corp. Senior VP $28,500 (6-24)
John Reilly Hess Corp. Executive $28,500 (6-24)
Alice Rocchio Hess Corp. Office Manager $28,500 (6-24)
John Scelfo Hess Corp. Senior VP Finance $28,500 (6-24)
F. Borden Walk Hess Corp. Businessman $28,500 (6-24)

Anyone like to suggest this is just coincidence?

http://tpmelectioncentral.talkingpointsmemo.com/2008/08/oil_company_executives.php

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hess_Corporation

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2008/07/26/AR2008072601891_pf.html

Werbung:
As has already been reported, McCain received over a million, in the last half of June alone, from oil company execs after his speech calling for a lifting of the offshore drilling ban on 6-16.

Here are some specific examples, check out the donations and the dates given, from 10 Hess Corporation (oil company based in NYC) execs and/or members of their families just days after McCain's reversal on the 16th. BTW, $28,500 is the maximum allowed.

J. Barclay Collins Hess Corp. Attorney $28,500 (6-19)
John B Hess Hess Corp. Executive $28,500 (6-24)
Susan K Hess Hess Corp. Homemaker $28,5000 (6-24)
Norma W Hess Hess Corp. retired $28,500 (6-24)
John J O'Connor Hess Corp, Executive $28,500 (6-24)
Lawrence Ornstein Hess Corp. Senior VP $28,500 (6-24)
John Reilly Hess Corp. Executive $28,500 (6-24)
Alice Rocchio Hess Corp. Office Manager $28,500 (6-24)
John Scelfo Hess Corp. Senior VP Finance $28,500 (6-24)
F. Borden Walk Hess Corp. Businessman $28,500 (6-24)

Anyone like to suggest this is just coincidence?

http://tpmelectioncentral.talkingpointsmemo.com/2008/08/oil_company_executives.php

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hess_Corporation

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2008/07/26/AR2008072601891_pf.html

I would suggest instead that oil companies are expressing their first amendment rights to free speech by trying to ensure that the only candidate who has views they like might get into office.

If they made the donations before McCain changed his mind it would be a better case.

If you had any evidence that he changed his mind because of the donations and not that the donations were because he changed his mind we would be interested.

I would also suggest that someone is limiting their rights to express their views by limiting how much they can give. The ironic thing is that M was the big force behind campaign finance reform.

I would suggest instead that oil companies are expressing their first amendment rights to free speech by trying to ensure that the only candidate who has views they like might get into office.

If they made the donations before McCain changed his mind it would be a better case.

If you had any evidence that he changed his mind because of the donations and not that the donations were because he changed his mind we would be interested.

I would also suggest that someone is limiting their rights to express their views by limiting how much they can give. The ironic thing is that M was the big force behind campaign finance reform.

They're doing their best to get around that. For example it turns out Alice Rocchio (Hess Corp. Office Manager) AND her husband, who works for Amtrak, each gave the maximum allowed $28,500.

The Rocchios' rent their home and the median family income for their zip code (Flushing, Queens) is $58,069.

http://query.nictusa.com/cgi-bin/dcdev/forms/C00448498/351768/sa/ALL

http://tpmelectioncentral.talkingpointsmemo.com/2008/08/hess_corporation_office_manage.php

it does not take much to know if you change that view you get paid off from them. is it there legal right? yes. but if you change your view to get the money who are you serving the people of America or the oil companies. you swear a oath to america not the CEo's. That said there could be legit reasons he changed, but I would like to hear him come out and explaine them. Obama yes has said he was open to it , but stated only as part of a greater deal what put us on the right track for energy policy...a reasonable aim I think as its something the right wants and we get more of what we want, and there would no doubt have to be protections on it. As for McCain, i have yet to hear him give a good reason he is for it now when he was against it.

McCain gets support from conservative interests, and Obama gets money by the trainload from every leftwing interest and kook on the planet - SO WHAT??? :D :rolleyes:

it does not take much to know if you change that view you get paid off from them. is it there legal right? yes. but if you change your view to get the money who are you serving the people of America or the oil companies. you swear a oath to america not the CEo's. That said there could be legit reasons he changed, but I would like to hear him come out and explaine them. Obama yes has said he was open to it , but stated only as part of a greater deal what put us on the right track for energy policy...a reasonable aim I think as its something the right wants and we get more of what we want, and there would no doubt have to be protections on it. As for McCain, i have yet to hear him give a good reason he is for it now when he was against it.

If you are going to change your mind to get paid then you will have to take into account there are two sides to every issue. Make up your mind one way and one guy will pay you make up your mind the other way and the other guy will pay you. So if you are going to get paid either way you might as well do what you and your constituents want.

by the way, the largest contributer to government is the individual taxpyer at about 8 trillion. That is about 80% of the federal budget, compared to corporate taxes that only make up about 7% of the federal budget. And of course both of these dwarf lobby contributions.

If you are going to change your mind to get paid then you will have to take into account there are two sides to every issue. Make up your mind one way and one guy will pay you make up your mind the other way and the other guy will pay you. So if you are going to get paid either way you might as well do what you and your constituents want.

by the way, the largest contributer to government is the individual taxpyer at about 8 trillion. That is about 80% of the federal budget, compared to corporate taxes that only make up about 7% of the federal budget. And of course both of these dwarf lobby contributions.

yes but the combo of all our $$$ does not get us access, a few million from one group does.

Werbung:
yes but the combo of all our $$$ does not get us access, a few million from one group does.

Of course it does. Every congressmen has staff manning the phone lines to take calls and read letters from constituents. They also will agree to meet with their constituents in their office as time permits. They do polling to find out what their constituents want and they are responsive to petitions, to name a few.

Does the guy sitting in his office with a large check have more sway? Well their not supposed to. Would we be foolish to think that they don't? yes.

But doesn't that all depend on the guy in the office presenting the check and the persuasion before the congressmen changes his mind and not after?

What is the solution? We can't stop people from giving money. We can't stop congressmen from getting money. Can we make it a law that the money must be anonymous? That's probably unenforceable. So far all the solutions that are congressmen are coming up with are more about making the giving better for one party than for the other than about reducing influence.

Back