Sub humans who left illegals to die get life in prison.

What makes you think that the present system is not exactly what you have described?

It is what I've described:

Desperately poor people risk their lives to enter illegally, then live in the shadows in constant fear of deportation, if they survive the trip.

That describes what is happening.

The reason that it is happening is that the federal government is not doing the job it is supposed to do, namely, securing the border and monitoring immigration.

The chances that a Mexican Campesino is going to get to immigrate legally is somewhere between zilch and zero. Meanwhile, farmers here depend on the illegals to harvest crops before they rot. There needs to be a guest worker program in place and working in which the poor of Mexico can fill those seasonal jobs, get paid a fair wage, not have to dodge the Border Patrol, and then return home with their earnings. There needs to be a way to limit the number of people crossing the border, and a way to make sure that the drug dealers and gang organizers get left behind. As it is, there is no provision for any of that.

Werbung:
It is what I've described:

That describes what is happening.
No I meant this:

"In a civilized society, potential immigrants would apply for entry and get it under the law after a background check and a check to see if there really was a place for them in the US."

What makes you think that our government has not set up a system for potential immigrants to apply for entry under the law and after a background check and confirmation that there was a place for them allows them into the country?

The last I heard we had a whole department just for this. The department sets quotas on how many people can come in from various countries. It just so happens that Mexico is way over their quota - hence people are denied and they skirt the system.

No I meant this:

"In a civilized society, potential immigrants would apply for entry and get it under the law after a background check and a check to see if there really was a place for them in the US."

What makes you think that our government has not set up a system for potential immigrants to apply for entry under the law and after a background check and confirmation that there was a place for them allows them into the country?

The last I heard we had a whole department just for this. The department sets quotas on how many people can come in from various countries. It just so happens that Mexico is way over their quota - hence people are denied and they skirt the system.

Oh, I see.

I wonder whether the 26,500 quota for Mexico is realistic, given the millions who actually come here? Maybe we need to take another look at the uniform quotas:

In U.S. immigration classification, all national origins are equal: each has a quota of 26,500 visas per year. Uniform quotas, enacted in 1965 (revised in 1990) ended the biased 1924 system of immigration quotas that strongly favored northwest Europeans (and, indeed, excluded all Asians). However, uniform national quotas proved imperfect, because the demand for immigrant visas for which people otherwise qualify varies by national origins, so that citizens of certain countries (Mexico, the Philippines, China, and the Dominican Republic) encounter long delays in getting visas, which, of course, contribute significantly to illegal migration.

http://findarticles.com/p/articles/mi_qa3800/is_200107/ai_n8991186/pg_4

Of course, that 26,500 figure includes student visas and tourist visas, not just Mexicans who want to immigrate to the US.

How would you define realistic?

Is it based on how many want to come here or who many we want to come here?

I think unless we are willing to take in the entire population of some messed up country (Mexico or otherwise) then it must be based on what we want.

Once we have established a limit then those who break the law to get around the limit are just lawbreakers.

How would you define realistic?

Is it based on how many want to come here or who many we want to come here?

I think unless we are willing to take in the entire population of some messed up country (Mexico or otherwise) then it must be based on what we want.

Once we have established a limit then those who break the law to get around the limit are just lawbreakers.

It has to be based on what we want and can absorb, of course. We already have local growers complaining that they can't get crops harvested on time, sot the 12,500 figure is too low. We also know that something like half of Mexicans want to come here, but that isn't realistic either.

It has to be based on what we want and can absorb, of course. We already have local growers complaining that they can't get crops harvested on time, sot the 12,500 figure is too low. We also know that something like half of Mexicans want to come here, but that isn't realistic either.

Regardless of where the number should be set it is not for the immigrants to decide what is the right number. If they come over illegally then they are breaking the law. Right?

Werbung:
Regardless of where the number should be set it is not for the immigrants to decide what is the right number. If they come over illegally then they are breaking the law. Right?

Exactly. The number should be set by rule of law, not by how many can sneak across the border.

Back