Take the Money and Die - New Solution for Political Corruption?

Truth-Bringer

Take the Money and Die

by Larry Sakin
31 May 2007

American politics is a complex enterprise. So much of what passes as policy these days is just so much legalese thrown together to benefit the corporate campaign contributors of our supposed representatives. Many Americans have thrown their hands up in the air, frustrated by attempts to make politicians accountable to the people again. These people should not give up hope, for the burgeoning Chinese government has provided a quick, simple solution to this problem.

A recent Associated Press article by Audra Ang entitled “Ex-China drug regulator to be executed” details the corrupt life China’s former State Food and Drug Administrator Zheng Xiaoyu, who was convicted of taking $832,000 in bribes and allowing eight companies to get around drug approval standards.

Zheng’s acts “greatly undermined… the efficiency of China’s drug monitoring and supervision, endangered public life and health and had a very negative social impact,” the court said. The punishment of death was appropriate given the “huge amount of bribes involved and the great damage inflicted on the country and the public.”

Wow! Here in the mighty U.S, this guy would have been rewarded with a million dollar a year job at some large pharmaceutical company for doing exactly the same thing.

Maybe this is what we need to keep our politicians in line. Take bribes and endanger the public - you get sentenced to death. Let’s face it, the only thing that gets the attention of our dear leaders anymore is either the promise of living the good life, or the threat of having your good life taken away. I know, it sounds too authoritarian, too savage to execute someone for putting the general public in danger.

However, American greedheads are willing to go to extreme measures to enrich themselves at the expense of others. Perhaps its time we take extreme measures against them. Instead of calling for President Bush and President of Vice Dick Cheney’s impeachment, we ought to be calling for death by firing squad or hanging. Isn’t that the proper punishment for treasonous disregard of the nation? We Americans love all things military, so let’s give both Bush and Cheney a military ceremony none of us will ever forget. We can ship them out to Guantanamo to await their military trials and when they are eventually put on trial, we can watch the grainy images of the proceedings. We can watch former US Attorney General and civil rights lawyer Ramsey Clark tries to defend Bush and Cheney in vain. After both are found guilty, we can see them take their last puffs on Cuban cigars before they’re hooded and summarily shot.

We can offer the same penalty to members of Congress eager to solicit campaign donations from corporations just itching to produce drugs and foods that aren’t fit for consumption, or for that matter, weakening any standard that puts the health and welfare of the public aside. Imagine what our country would be like today if Ken Lay of Enron fame or Charlie Keating were sentenced to death for ripping off the stockholders of their corporations? Do you really think people like these guys would be tempted if their very lives were at stake?

Of course, none of that will happen here. We’re much too sophisticated in the US to dole out capital punishment to elites. The death penalty is something we reserve for po’ people.

Still, it wouldn’t be a bad idea to find a picture of Mr. Zheng, blow it up to poster size with a caption about his sentence for corruption, and send it to our dear leaders in Congress, the White House, and corporate board rooms across America, just so they know we’re paying attention.

http://mytown.ca/sakin/

Werbung:
I believe due process would scream for the President and his Officers of the State to first be removed by impeachment. Then, if at the trial they are found guilty of treason, I would have no problem seeing them executed for the capital offence. I would hope it would be public. Congress could do with a dose of scrutiny also.

I believe due process would scream for the President and his Officers of the State to first be removed by impeachment. Then, if at the trial they are found guilty of treason, I would have no problem seeing them executed for the capital offence. I would hope it would be public. Congress could do with a dose of scrutiny also.

Actually a better idea would be to sentence them to hard labor. Maybe a winter camp in Alaska and a summer camp in Death Valley. Televise the whole thing 24/7 on a new cable network - C-Span 3.

Actually a better idea would be to sentence them to hard labor. Maybe a winter camp in Alaska and a summer camp in Death Valley. Televise the whole thing 24/7 on a new cable network - C-Span 3.

Well I'd be more prone, and remember, this is ONLY if they were found to have been treasonous in a real judicial procedure, to wipe clean not only them, but their entire genetic code.

Werbung:

As an Alaskan, I dont want any more corrupt politicians than we already have, send them somewhere else. Currently we have 3 former and one sitting state legislators under indictment for federal corruption charges. The company officials accused of bribing them have already plead guilty and are awaiting sentancing, the investigation of others is ongoing, specifically the son of US Sen. Ted Stevens (R)-AK...Former AK senate president Ben Stevens.
It is an interesting concept to bring the death penalty to corrupt lawmakers. For treason, absolutely. But under our system, in most cases it is perfectly legal to accept campaign contributions with a nod and wink to the special interest group or individual making the contribution.
I think the driving force in the case with the chinese official has more to do with his corruption leading to the deaths of people...in which case I will certainly be willing to entertain that idea. As for the guy from Louisiana, with 100,000 in the freezer. Lock him away for life, and get the full brunt of the prison system he didnt adequately fund while he had the opportunity.

Back