Texas Education Board plots to rewrite history

You are older than I am, and I learned some of what you learned but by the time I learned it There were more negatives added in and silly things like .....thanksgiving was giving thanks to the natives not God.

Now ask a kid what they learn, it wont be the same things you learned. First they learn very little bout the founders and what they learn is more neg than pos.

this is kinda my point. in the old days we learned of the founders greatness now if the kids learn much bout the founders at all its more neg stuff than anything else.

Well I think they were giving thanks to both actually. The Indians for saving there almost starving asses with the bulk of the food... and God for being... well God. The Pilgrims were religious people.

But that's not like the issue down in Texas. They a purposely trying to whitewash anything even remotely negative and build up people of the time into pure as the driven snow evangelist Christian SUPERMAN cartoon heroes.

That's just ridiculous. They were simply men with many conflicted feelings and views that were able to come together enough to rebel against England.

Did some do heroic things? Sure. War & battles always create some heroes. Were many of them not Christians at all but Deists and even the ones that were Christians slave owners. Absolutely. Big deal... look where we've come!

The thing is I want to know about the true lives of our founders... warts and all. And if we don't teach it all, good & bad, then all we are teaching is fiction & propaganda, certainly not history. And that's the biggest disservice we can give our kids... a lie that they were taught was true.

Werbung:
Well I think they were giving thanks to both actually. The Indians for saving there almost starving asses with the bulk of the food... and God for being... well God. The Pilgrims were religious people.

But that's not like the issue down in Texas. They a purposely trying to whitewash anything even remotely negative and build up people of the time into pure as the driven snow evangelist Christian SUPERMAN cartoon heroes.

That's just ridiculous. They were simply men with many conflicted feelings and views that were able to come together enough to rebel against England.

Did some do heroic things? Sure. War & battles always create some heroes. Were many of them not Christians at all but Deists and even the ones that were Christians slave owners. Absolutely. Big deal... look where we've come!

The thing is I want to know about the true lives of our founders... warts and all. And if we don't teach it all, good & bad, then all we are teaching is fiction & propaganda, certainly not history. And that's the biggest disservice we can give our kids... a lie that they were taught was true.

I am not for whitewashing, I like the warts and all idea but the problem is they are blackwashing and showing only warts.

thanksgiving was never about thanking natives, Its always been about giving thanks to God

I am not for whitewashing, I like the warts and all idea but the problem is they are blackwashing and showing only warts.

thanksgiving was never about thanking natives, Its always been about giving thanks to God

Pilgrims were like that. The Founding Fathers weren't so much.

Of course, if the Pilgrims had had their way, we would be a Christian nation, no doubt about it.

founders were not like pilgrims in what way? Devout?

yes, the Pilgrims were devout Christians, determined to worship the way they wanted. That's why they came to America. I don't think they were so big on other people not accepting their version of Christianity, were they? The FF were more into live and let live concerning religion. They even wrote it into the Constitution.

yes, the Pilgrims were devout Christians, determined to worship the way they wanted. That's why they came to America. I don't think they were so big on other people not accepting their version of Christianity, were they? The FF were more into live and let live concerning religion. They even wrote it into the Constitution.

I agree with you somewhat but not totally. The founders were big on freedom of your brand of christianity... not so much catholics though.

Look who was turned away for the longest time, All of islam, most of the jews and a good number of catholics.

They didnt seem to mind the other various christian denominations. The founders including Jefferson signed "In the year of our Lord Jesus Christ on many documents. No work on sunday laws. Jefferson himself instructed the children should be taught from the "Jefferson Bible" and a certian hymn book of Christian nature.

I agree with you somewhat but not totally. The founders were big on freedom of your brand of christianity... not so much catholics though.

Look who was turned away for the longest time, All of islam, most of the jews and a good number of catholics.

They didnt seem to mind the other various christian denominations. The founders including Jefferson signed "In the year of our Lord Jesus Christ on many documents. No work on sunday laws. Jefferson himself instructed the children should be taught from the "Jefferson Bible" and a certian hymn book of Christian nature.

It did take a few years before the idea of freedom of religion really took hold, to be sure.

Werbung:

I've just never seen the problem with history the way it has always been taught.

While true I'm older than you also true is my daughter is younger than you. And her High School text books were almost identical to the ones I studied... except for the more recent history which hadn't happend yet of course.:D

This thing in Texas clearly isn't about a little emphasizing on this point or that point. It's about intentionally rewriting what really happened, down playing major nation forming things like SLAVERY and pushing the totally false believe that the Founders wanted America to be a Christian controlled nation.

The words our Creator or God are inspirational while at the same time generic. When the word Jesus is used it's used as a time marker (like in the year of). Not that some Founders weren't Christians, some were. But equally important were those who weren't and the specific intention that religion of ANY KIND should not be allowed to entangle & interfere with government as had happened in England with The Church of England of which many had fled to the New World to escape.

Next Texas will move to strike this from the official record just because it doesn't say WHAT THEY WANT it to say.

Back