The Corporate "Citizen" And Ramifications

Sihouette

We all know how corporations are pleading for the same rights as individuals. So I wonder then how they will continue to plead if they not only get the benefits of an "individual" but also the liabilities?

What liabilities? Being personally held accountable for their actions.

Let's say something a corporate healthcare "individual" does [or purposefully neglects to do] results in the untimely death of another. Then they can be tried for manslaughter.

Discuss..

Werbung:
A corporation is an artificial person. It is a creature of statute; and, unlike a natural person, a corporation can, potentially, exist indefinitely. Once formed, a corporation has all the rights and privileges of a natural person, except voting (which it does nevertheless with its checkbook), or appear in federal courts except by attorney; for, unlike a natural person, a corporation may only act through its officers, directors and agents. A corporation, like a natural person, may be licensed to do business in a state other than its domicile. Like a natural person, a corporation may be held accountable for it acts, and even convicted of crimes. Corporations have been around for some time. Our cities and many towns are municipal corporations through which local government is exercised.

The problem is not with corporations, but those who would abuse its franchise, and much that is wrong with our country is due to such misuse. The pernicious influence of corporate corruption is ubiquitous, even in the halls of Congress where their lobbyists peddle their influence. It is their doing that much of the tax code is so unfairly balanced to the point of subsidization of corporate business, and it is their agenda that sponsors much of the so-called "reform" legislation that has been recently enacted. It is like a cancer that has spread into every cell of our social structure and civic institutions to the detriment of individual rights and liberties.

Is there any remedy? The courthouse doors have been all but closed for individual legal redress; and there are even efforts being made to undermine the independence of the federal judiciary which threatens to subvert the constitutional checks and balances to the excesses of government. Therefore, it will have to be the responsibility of every citizen to be vigilant in overseeing their representatives and holding them accountable lest our democracy turn into a corporate tyranny.

I think a good attorney could argue negligence in the event a corporation knowlingly contributes to the death of another person. I think manslaughter could stick in a civil if not criminal arena.

They can't have their cake and eat it too.

If you really want to rein in on corporate excesses, the following actions must be taken:

First, the Congress should make a new set of dentures to replace the teeth removed from Sarbanes-Oxley. This will put the bite on corporate fraud and abuse.

Second, admission of guilt should be a condition of all consent decrees. Corporate boards will think twice about violating the law if faced with the prospect of having to make an admission of wrongdoing that would damage their all-important public image.

Third, in addition to fines and penalties, restitution should be imposed in the case of all corporation convictions, in the absence of which the franchise should be suspended and the charter revoked.

And fourth, a corporation convicted of a crime should be ineligible for bankruptcy reorganization.

I think you're part of the choir I'm preaching to?
:rolleyes:

I'd be happy just seeing them held accountable as you or I would be if we did something that predictably led to another death. You or I wouldn't get an ounce of slack. Maybe their status should be requalified as "better than individual rights". Or "all those great rights without the responsibility after-taste!"

Werbung:
Another person brought up that they aren't responsible if someone dies based on the fact that it's really the doctor who is. Yet how are doctors supposed to carry on their business without compensation? If an insurer creates a potent disincentive for the climate of doctors to provide ongoing life-essential care, and people die as a result of that disincentive, then the insurance companies have a hand in wrongful death.

Talk me down on that?

Back