Oregon passes tax increases on corporations and the wealthy..

Dogtowner, Bush was regulating them when they brought the US down and accelerated the end of its empire.

No incoming president was going to fix that quickly so you'd better start learning Chinese as you hand over the baton to them cookyboy

Werbung:
Here's another example of how the powerful are preying on the rest of us. GenSeca says we should not use force to counter these people, but I see no other way of addressing their predatory behavior. This is the real world, the one we live in. GenSeca seems to think we can declare a level playing field with these people and get them to play fair. Pollyanna is what that is.

http://www.alternet.org/story/14570...e_grotesquely_greedy_than_wall_street_bankers

These are the people and companies that are already paying the vast bulk of income taxes, right? And now Oregonians (somewhere) are getting "revenge" by forcing them to pay more. That sounds
fair, doesn't it?​

Gee......let's see.....​

"Just 15 years ago, the 400 richest Americans earned an average of just over $50 million and had an effective tax rate of about 30%. So while the incomes of the 400 richest have increased by seven-fold over that period, their effective tax rate has been cut by over one-third.

Johnston said decreasing share of taxes paid by the ultra-rich has been driven by government polices that are concentrating wealth at the very top of the income scale. Dating back to the administration of Bill Clinton, Congress has lowered tax rates on the extremely wealthy several times.

"Bill Clinton cut these people's tax rates 8% and Bush added another 5.5% decrease," Johnston said. Most of the income increases for the super-rich came from cuts in the capital gains tax, he said. Prior to the tax cuts put in place by former President George W. Bush, the tax rate for top 400 was about 22%. Since those tax cuts, their rate to 16.6% in 2007.

Capital gains -- profits made from inve$tment$ -- represented "66.3% of 2007 income for the top 400, up from 62.8% in 2006 and 36.1% in 1992," Johnston reported. Since 1992, "the bottom 90% of Americans have seen their incomes rise by 13% in 2009 dollars, compared with an increase of 399% for the top 400."

"The annual top 400 report was first made public by the Clinton administration, but the George W. Bush administration shut down access to the report," Johnston wrote. "Its release was resumed a year ago when President Obama took office."

Yeah....we need to show a little-more-compassion for those poor 1%er$.

:rolleyes:

For the sake of GenSeca here is another article showing how the powerful are preying on the rest of us by externalizing the environmental costs of their businesses.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/environment/2010/feb/18/worlds-top-firms-environmental-damage
I'm not sure what you are trying to say... It's just another example to support my point that they have the support of local, state and federal governments in order to do these things.

If government's role was limited to protecting the rights of their citizens and we had laws barring any individual, group, or government from violating the rights of any individual, then such rights violations would not be able to take place under the guise of legality.

Take away government's power to violate our rights and no individual or group will be capable of legally violating your rights.

I'm not sure what you are trying to say... It's just another example to support my point that they have the support of local, state and federal governments in order to do these things.

If government's role was limited to protecting the rights of their citizens and we had laws barring any individual, group, or government from violating the rights of any individual, then such rights violations would not be able to take place under the guise of legality.

Take away government's power to violate our rights and no individual or group will be capable of legally violating your rights.

They own the government. You have yet to make any suggestion of how to change the whole of government and the people who own and run it--without any countervailing force.

They own the government. You have yet to make any suggestion of how to change the whole of government and the people who own and run it--without any countervailing force.

No, I have said it more than once but you won't listen. Here it is again:

Elect people on the local, state and federal level that will pass laws to eliminate the legal ability of individuals, groups and even government to violate individual rights.

Elect people on the local, state and federal level that will pass laws to eliminate the legal ability of individuals, groups and even government to violate individual rights.

And if no such people are running, then what?

The theory is good but the implementation not. Can you give even one example where this has been accomplished?

Agreed. How can we convince enough voters to get the job done?
Sadly, I don't think it's possible... Identity politics has created an atmosphere of US vs THEM mentality where everyone is trying to get control of government in order to violate the rights of some other group for their own benefit.

Politicians that can promise group A a benefit at the cost of group B tends to do very well in elections. Politicians who promise to violate the rights of no one, and thereby grant no special benefits to anyone, aren't taken seriously.

Werbung:
Sadly, I don't think it's possible... Identity politics has created an atmosphere of US vs THEM mentality where everyone is trying to get control of government in order to violate the rights of some other group for their own benefit.

Politicians that can promise group A a benefit at the cost of group B tends to do very well in elections. Politicians who promise to violate the rights of no one, and thereby grant no special benefits to anyone, aren't taken seriously.

I don't think your pollyanna idea will work either. It's certainly not working for most of us. The powerful people however are doing quite nicely, thank you very much.

"The war against working people should be understood to be a real war…. Specifically in the U.S., which happens to have a highly class-conscious business class…. And they have long seen themselves as fighting a bitter class war, except they don’t want anybody else to know about it."

— Noam Chomsky

As a record number of US citizens are struggling to get by, many of the largest corporations are experiencing record-breaking profits, and CEOs are receiving record-breaking bonuses. How could this be happening; how did we get to this point?
http://dissidentvoice.org/2010/02/the-rise-of-the-economic-elite/

Without some kind of countervailing force we will not be able to stop the endless upward flow of money. While I like your idea of reforming the government by putting in honest people I don't think it will work. I have not been able to find a single example of your process working to reform any country... ever. It will take a revolution of some sort, I would hope a philosophical one, but I fear it will be violent one instead.

Back