Oregon passes tax increases on corporations and the wealthy..

It might end up being highways that everyone agrees on :)

Could be. As a local example, the county decided to contract out a road project that involved making a two laner to four and repaving. The road was torn up and barely drivable for two years before the board of supervisors decided to give the job back to the roads department. Soon, the project was done and done right.

Some thing do have to be public.

As for the military, yes, it does waste a lot of money. Of course, it's doubtful that a private military would work very well.

I once facetiously suggested contracting out the military, and paying them by the number of dead terrorists. That was a joke thread, and even the humor challenged saw it as such.

Werbung:
I think the government performs a great deal of functions... too numerous to state. A couple that personally come to mind...

• Education - I am a product of a public education, as are most Americans. The government has, over our history, provided this incredible service to all citizens, and our country has benefitted enormously because of it.

The federal government contributes only 8% to the State's budget on education, yet controls most of the curriculum. In the higher education departments the use of grants, and loans, has driven up the cost of education to a point where few can affors it, and allowed universities such as Harvard to garner a 2 Biillion dollar alumni fund which used ot be used to benefit poor students.

Now, lets talk about the 40% functionally illiterate it has created, or the 25% dropout rate (higher in DC, Detroit, L.A., etc.) that it has created.

• Standards - The standards for clean water, clean air, uncontaminated food and drugs have allowed us to live relatively carefree and safe from the life threatening conditions that are commonplace in some places in the world.

How many cases of contaminated food were reported last year? Beef, spinach, lettuce, tomatoes, peanuts, etc. Then there were the toys, toothpaste, pharmacueticals, and the list goes on. How about those "safe" tires?

• Renewal - For over 200 years, every office, whether local, state of federal has seen a constant influx of new people and new ideas. Anybody truly can serve and make a difference if they want to.

Only if they have the money to run, and the support of corporate America even on a local level. And the quality of representation has consistently gone down. In many areas a Conservative can not even get elected due to the opposition of teachers unions, and unions in general.

• Progress - Our government has proven over those 200 years that it can facilitate and nurture technical, commercial and social progress. We didn't become the leader of the free will despite the government. We became the leader of the free world working hand-in-hand with it.

Actually, the government has been a driving force in removing that technology overseas. With NAFTA, and GATT/WTO, we now no longer have any manufacturing in America especially that which the unskilled laborer can get into.

Those are just a few. Give me a little time, and I'm sure I'll think of many more! :p

Yeah, like food stamps, low income housing, energy assistance, EITC, SSDI, Head Start, farm aid programs, etc. Anything to make the people more dependent on the fed of which now over 40% of the population is.

Could be. As a local example, the county decided to contract out a road project that involved making a two laner to four and repaving. The road was torn up and barely drivable for two years before the board of supervisors decided to give the job back to the roads department. Soon, the project was done and done right.

Some thing do have to be public.

As for the military, yes, it does waste a lot of money. Of course, it's doubtful that a private military would work very well.

I once facetiously suggested contracting out the military, and paying them by the number of dead terrorists. That was a joke thread, and even the humor challenged saw it as such.

The problem with government contracting out is they dont over see the job or double check the things needed done actually got done.

I do not think they should take the low bid, but the best all around bid. Double check the work BEFORE you pay. If the company does crap work never hire them again.

In our school district they sub contract painters, electrical work exc. Pay before inspection or do a lousy inspection and when things dont work out well they still hire the idiots again for another job. If they did not do those things they would have better results.

We just had our roads paved with stim money, it was a horrible job that I can honestly say could be worse than before they started. They tore up the top layer and laid down one layer and painted the lanes. Its a very terrible job and it should never have been accepted as complete, but they will hire that same group to do another road in the spring. Why not? its not coming out of their pocket. I think we need to give a certian number of dollars to what ever group and expect certian results, if the money does not last or the results are bad someones head must roll. Make it personal as you would if the work were being paid out of your pocket and on your home.

The problem with government contracting out is they dont over see the job or double check the things needed done actually got done.

I do not think they should take the low bid, but the best all around bid. Double check the work BEFORE you pay. If the company does crap work never hire them again.

In our school district they sub contract painters, electrical work exc. Pay before inspection or do a lousy inspection and when things dont work out well they still hire the idiots again for another job. If they did not do those things they would have better results.

We just had our roads paved with stim money, it was a horrible job that I can honestly say could be worse than before they started. They tore up the top layer and laid down one layer and painted the lanes. Its a very terrible job and it should never have been accepted as complete, but they will hire that same group to do another road in the spring. Why not? its not coming out of their pocket. I think we need to give a certian number of dollars to what ever group and expect certian results, if the money does not last or the results are bad someones head must roll. Make it personal as you would if the work were being paid out of your pocket and on your home.

You mean to say you think hiring an incompetent relative to do public works isn't a good idea?

How else can the government contract out jobs?

Seriously, our road project came out quite well once the county roads was given the project to do. Sometimes, it is best if the existing government entity does the job despite the mantra that private industry can do better. That idea doesn't always hold true.

You mean to say you think hiring an incompetent relative to do public works isn't a good idea?

How else can the government contract out jobs?

Seriously, our road project came out quite well once the county roads was given the project to do. Sometimes, it is best if the existing government entity does the job despite the mantra that private industry can do better. That idea doesn't always hold true.

hahaha yeah no hiring relatives!!!

I am glad your road came out ok, I wish ours did too!

Some people working for government take the job serious and do good work, I do not mean to say they are all blood sucking vampires...It just seems most are :)

Could you explain to me why the military works as a government entity as opposed to a private one? There's so much talk about how poorly the government does anything and how the private sector could do it better, if this were true I don't see why this wouldn't apply to the military as well.

hahaha yeah no hiring relatives!!!

I am glad your road came out ok, I wish ours did too!

Some people working for government take the job serious and do good work, I do not mean to say they are all blood sucking vampires...It just seems most are :)

Wasn't it over by Dexter, or maybe it was over by Glide, that the County had screwed up the road so bad that a private contractor had to be hired to fix it?

I always love it when I see a road stripe painting crew at "work". A minimum of three trucks, usually 5, then there are the 5 to 8 "workers", painting a single stripe down the road. And how many times have I seen a snowplow going to where there is no snow at.

Exactly.

These wastrels could be working for the government in Afghanistan killing babies.

After campaigning for the rights of the foetus of course.

Make sure they ain't aborted and then bam blow the little bastards to pieces. Or better still, burn them. That would be more in keeping with the Church historically as priests were forbidden from sheding blood so they got round this technicality with burning at the stake.

Wasn't it over by Dexter, or maybe it was over by Glide, that the County had screwed up the road so bad that a private contractor had to be hired to fix it?

I always love it when I see a road stripe painting crew at "work". A minimum of three trucks, usually 5, then there are the 5 to 8 "workers", painting a single stripe down the road. And how many times have I seen a snowplow going to where there is no snow at.

I dont think I know that story but I will ask around to others who might. I am not shocked by it though.

Could you explain to me why the military works as a government entity as opposed to a private one? There's so much talk about how poorly the government does anything and how the private sector could do it better, if this were true I don't see why this wouldn't apply to the military as well.

My question still goes unanswered. Surely it can't be that difficult.

Werbung:
Back