Details of Senate fiscal cliff agreement: Tax increases, spending INCREASES. C'mon, House, REJECT IT

The first of four fiscal cliffs has been avoided, at least for now. Three more are looming:

With First 'Fiscal Cliff' Over, Three More Cliffs Lie Ahead

Congress and President Barack Obama have prevented a potential recession with the "fiscal cliff" bill, but in doing so put off, yet again, many difficult decisions necessary to get the nation's fiscal house in order. In a couple of months, three more fiscal cliff battles lie ahead -- sequestration, the debt ceiling, and a new federal budget.

Order more popcorn, sit back, and relax. The show isn't over yet.

Werbung:
Sure they will! Still living in lala land I see!

Guess what. . .I think there are a LOT of happy people about this fix. . .although it is far from perfect! People are happy about President Obama compromising IN SPITE of the defiance and reluctance of the GOP. They are happy that their federal taxes will not go up, and they know that the President and the Democrats WILL cut spending, but not solely on the back of the most vulnerable Americans.

You are fighting a lost fight! This reminds me of Vietnam! You guys just don't know when to cut your losses and to move with the flow.

Get your info from more varied sources than Fox and Limbaugh. . .and you may start to see the light!

Fox took you to the cleaner for the last 2 years. . .and if you continue to trust them, they'll take you to the cleaner in a much bigger way in 2014!

Remember, this Congress is still "republican house," but it sure isn't has "tea party" as it used to be. . .and there are 13 more Democrats to replace many of those newbies tea party newbies!

Basically the same in senate: Democrats won 4 seats in 2012. Still not enough to make filibusters nul and void. . .but getting a lot closer!

it was the dems who mucked it up in VN.

im sure that all the parasites are delighted.

And why are we suddenly going to figure it out in the next two months...when the last year did not suffice?
we have to keep kicking they can ...untill all the tea party is dead so we can actuly do something. Since they are idiots and would rather screw the nation over then compromise...republicans can't even pass there own bills with there own people...how are we suppose to get anything done? I would have just done nothing aside maybe a few small changes and went over the cliff and said enjoy. And i hope when republicans say they want to pass the debt limit unless he does what they want...he just hangs up and says kill the nation or not...your choice.

we have to keep kicking they can ...untill all the tea party is dead so we can actuly do something. Since they are idiots and would rather screw the nation over then compromise...republicans can't even pass there own bills with there own people...how are we suppose to get anything done? I would have just done nothing aside maybe a few small changes and went over the cliff and said enjoy. And i hope when republicans say they want to pass the debt limit unless he does what they want...he just hangs up and says kill the nation or not...your choice.

there are dozens of house bils sittingin reids inbox. just sayin...

we have to keep kicking they can ...untill all the tea party is dead so we can actuly do something.

The Tea Party members won their elections same as everyone else.

Since they are idiots and would rather screw the nation over then compromise...republicans can't even pass there own bills with there own people...

Again, they won their elections same as everyone else up there...they have a valid place at the table in the governing.

how are we suppose to get anything done?

Try to show some leadership. Reach out and build coalitions. All the previous Presidents managed it -- why can't Obama?

I would have just done nothing aside maybe a few small changes and went over the cliff and said enjoy. And i hope when republicans say they want to pass the debt limit unless he does what they want...he just hangs up and says kill the nation or not...your choice.

The President has no authority in regards to raising the debt ceiling....the ONLY reason he will be included is to help the House and Senate come to an agreement. To date, he has shown an ability to show any real leadership on the issue, and it only further entrenches each side.

Raise taxes? Sure. Necessary evil. But you can't raise them to close the gap (it's a joke) because you're going to need to raise them to pay for our health care entitlement obligations we have incurred. And how are you going to grow an economy against the backdrop of rising taxes? Lower interest rates? They're already essentially at zero. Our ability to provision long-term growth is virtually non-existent at this point. The states will of course shoulder much of the burden for this healthcare program, putting further strain on California, New Jersey and other states already on the brink of insolvency.

For the first time in my adult life I have zero optimism that this nation's fortunes will improve over time. The best we can hope for is a muddle-through that accepts 1-2% growth for a generation, punctuated by the failings of other states occasioned largely by our economic weakness. Demographics will accelerate this for us as the percentage of the population at work declines and the percentage receiving entitlement checks grows; this problem is even worse for Western Europe and East Asia.

There is no one single cause, just the mixture of political cowardice and political opportunism of this generation and the ones that preceded it. Democratic (and Republican) Administrations swelled entitlement obligations knowing they would not have to pay for them while Republicans pushed tax cuts uber alles. Interest rates were lowered to stimulate growth and then lowered again to keep it going. In time of plenty these actions don't seem objectionable, but now that the inevitable downturn has occurred we find meaningful choices so curtailed that we can do nothing to get the economy going again. It is an economic, fiscal and foremost a political trap from which there is no escape.

Raise taxes? Sure. Necessary evil. But you can't raise them to close the gap (it's a joke) because you're going to need to raise them to pay for our health care entitlement obligations we have incurred. And how are you going to grow an economy against the backdrop of rising taxes? Lower interest rates? They're already essentially at zero. Our ability to provision long-term growth is virtually non-existent at this point. The states will of course shoulder much of the burden for this healthcare program, putting further strain on California, New Jersey and other states already on the brink of insolvency.

For the first time in my adult life I have zero optimism that this nation's fortunes will improve over time. The best we can hope for is a muddle-through that accepts 1-2% growth for a generation, punctuated by the failings of other states occasioned largely by our economic weakness. Demographics will accelerate this for us as the percentage of the population at work declines and the percentage receiving entitlement checks grows; this problem is even worse for Western Europe and East Asia.

There is no one single cause, just the mixture of political cowardice and political opportunism of this generation and the ones that preceded it. Democratic (and Republican) Administrations swelled entitlement obligations knowing they would not have to pay for them while Republicans pushed tax cuts uber alles. Interest rates were lowered to stimulate growth and then lowered again to keep it going. In time of plenty these actions don't seem objectionable, but now that the inevitable downturn has occurred we find meaningful choices so curtailed that we can do nothing to get the economy going again. It is an economic, fiscal and foremost a political trap from which there is no escape.

I too am disheartened about America's current state and dismal future. How can one have optimism in the face of overwhelming problems and absolute corrupt leadership? I fear the economy will continue to flounder for many years and may never come back. I base this fear on the fact that we are so far removed from a free market capitalist economy. And our president and much of our political leadership are intent on destroying private business (excepting big business who pays their brides) and this will lead to terrible suffering for millions of Americans.

I take heart in the fact that FDR did terrible damage to our nation and our economy, but we bounced back once that disgusting fool died. And while America was in a much better economic condition after WWII than it is today, it is only thing I can hold my hat on.

Werbung:
Back