U.S.-flagged ship hijacked off Somalia - but the crew re-takes it!!!

I don't think a Seal operation would go exactly like that in this scenario. The lifeboat is not something like lifeboat from titanic, it is capable of being entirely closed off, which it is said to have been to avoid sniper fire. Therefore, any method to get into the boat and eliminate the pirates would have to open the outer doors of the lifeboat. While it could be done, it is quite a risky move, and would still allow plenty of time for the pirates to kill the hostage.

Simple operation! Position of the hostage in the boat is know as are the targets, swim up from directly underneath the boat - verify positions again over the radio prior to commencement and prosecute with extreme predjudice...........

4 pirates are toast

Werbung:
Simple operation! Position of the hostage in the boat is know as are the targets, swim up from directly underneath the boat - verify positions again over the radio prior to commencement and prosecute with extreme predjudice...........

4 pirates are toast

Except the problem with your plan is that the position of the hostage and hijackers are not known in the lifeboat. In many cases the lifeboat is something similar to this:
20077248143347478.jpg

It is not like swimming up to one of these and then taking them out.
lifeboat%206.JPG

Rest assured "Somali speed boats" are a relative term. Simply look at the pictures of these "boats" and then imagine one going 22 knots. Seems dubious. Further, there are multiple instances of attempting hijackings where the freighter simply outruns the pirates. There was the example of a cruise ship doing it pretty recently in fact. Given that the average speed of cruise ship sits around 20 knots (slower than many ocean going freighters) it seems logical to assume if they outran the pirates, a faster freighter could do the same.

In fact, one of the main suggestions by the US Navy in order to try to prevent hijacking is travel at full speed through the Gulf of Aiden. This drastically limits your chances of being hijacked. Is it impossible, no, but the odds are in your favor if you are paying attention. Given that this ship was inbound to Kenya, I would predict the odds are slim it was going full speed, and they obviously did not see the incoming pirates, hence the hijacking.

They very well could have done this, however I would be surprised if it was the case (which is what I said.) The pirates generally rely on surprise, which they get by the crew simply not paying attention. If the crew was not paying enough attention to notice the pirates coming at the ship, it seems dubious to me they were then able to quickly arm themselves to "retake the ship" upon its hijack.

I'm with ya Rob.

What I don't understand is why they don't convoy through this area with some protective security boats (hell a Coast Guard 40 footer or even an old McHale's Navy PT boat would be like a destroyer to those pirate pieces of crap!) Or arm the ships with something rather potent theselves.

I mean damn if these sleazeballs get a ship now and them to pay them a few million to give it back they're never gonna stop!

Being Mr. Liberal I hate to go all hawkish on everybody but this could be the time to break out the old phrase... KILL 'EM ALL LET GOD SORT THEM OUT!
:mad:

I'm with ya Rob.

What I don't understand is why they don't convoy through this area with some protective security boats (hell a Coast Guard 40 footer or even an old McHale's Navy PT boat would be like a destroyer to those pirate pieces of crap!) Or arm the ships with something rather potent theselves.

I mean damn if these sleazeballs get a ship now and them to pay them a few million to give it back they're never gonna stop!

Being Mr. Liberal I hate to go all hawkish on everybody but this could be the time to break out the old phrase... KILL 'EM ALL LET GOD SORT THEM OUT!
:mad:

Well it is quite a massive area with a lot of shipping going through, convoying would be a massive undertaking. The logistics of it are probably what is preventing that.

As for arming the ships, if they don't see the pirates coming to begin with for the most part, it would be hard to have the weapons making much of a difference.

Well it is quite a massive area with a lot of shipping going through, convoying would be a massive undertaking. The logistics of it are probably what is preventing that.

As for arming the ships, if they don't see the pirates coming to begin with for the most part, it would be hard to have the weapons making much of a difference.

You point out the real logistics nightmare there my friend.

Perhaps in tandem we also try this... especially if we could get some international help. Scatter ships throughout the region capable of carrying attack helicopters or even attack jets and impose a stated "NO APPROACH WITHOUT PERMISSION ZONE" around vessels in the region.

Have air patrols and the ability for ships to call for help if they do see problems coming.

I can imagine the joy of a ship barley holding off a pirate speed boat with fire hoses as an attack helicopter or jet blows the pirate boat about 20' out of the water.:)

Bottom line this is an area where I think you have to inflict serious pain and do it BEFORE there are hostages.

BREAKING NEWS!!!

US captain rescued... 3 pirates dead... 1 In custody!

UNITED STATES NAVY... You rock!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
:)

(CNN) -- The American captain of a cargo ship held hostage by pirates jumped overboard from the lifeboat where he was being held, and U.S. Navy SEALs shot and killed three of his four captors, according to a senior U.S. official with knowledge of the situation.

Richard Phillips was helped out of the water off the Somali coast and is uninjured and in good condition, the official said. He was taken aboard the USS Bainbridge, a nearby naval warship.

At the time of the shootings, the fourth pirate was aboard the Bainbridge negotiating with officials, the source said. That pirate was taken into custody.

Maersk Line Limited, owner of the cargo ship that Phillips captained, issued a statement saying it was informed at 1:30 p.m. by the U.S. government that he had been rescued. John Reinhart, president and CEO, called Phillips' wife, Andrea, to tell her the good news.

Crew members from the ship, the Maersk Alabama, were "jubilant" when they received word, the statement says.

"We are all absolutely thrilled to learn that Richard is safe and will be re-united with his family," Reinhart said. "Maersk Line Limited is deeply grateful to the Navy, the FBI and so many others for their tireless efforts to secure Richard's freedom."

"We look forward to welcoming him home in the coming days," Reinhart added.

Earlier Sunday, Maersk said the U.S. Navy had informed the company that it had sighted Phillips in the lifeboat where the pirates were holding him.

A man who answered the door at Phillips' home in Underhill, Vermont, on Sunday afternoon told CNN's Stephanie Elam that the family had known the news for hours. He said details would have to come from Virginia, apparently referring to Maersk's home base in Norfolk.

On Saturday, the FBI launched a criminal investigation into the hijacking of the U.S.-flagged cargo ship by Somali pirates, two law enforcement officials told CNN. The probe will be led by the FBI's New York field office, which is responsible for looking into cases involving U.S. citizens in the African region, the officials said.

Snippets of information started to emerge Saturday about how the Maersk Alabama's crew managed to retake the ship after it was hijacked by pirates Wednesday about 350 miles off the coast of Somalia in the Indian Ocean.

The Alabama reached port in Mombasa, Kenya,on Saturday. Crew members aboard the freed cargo ship described how some of their colleagues attempted to "jump" their pirate captors.

A scuffle ensued and one of the sailors stabbed a pirate in the hand in the battle to retake the container ship, one of the sailors told CNN.

Crew members smiled broadly as they stood on the ship's deck under the watchful eyes of security teams. Although the crew was kept away from the media, CNN's Stan Grant got close enough to ask crew members what happened after the pirates climbed aboard the ship.

One crew member said he recalled being awakened around 7 a.m. as the hijacking began.

"I was scared," Grant quoted the man as saying.

Some of the crew managed to hide in a secure part of the Alabama as the pirates stormed the ship, the sailor said.

As the sailors described their clash with the pirates, a crew member pointed to one shipmate and said, "This guy is a hero. He and the chief engineer, they took down the pirate. ... He led him down there to the engine room and then they jumped him."

The shipmate added that he stabbed the pirate's hand and tied him up.

"Capt. Phillips is a hero," another crew member shouted from the deck of the freed ship.

An earlier attempt by Phillips to escape from the 28-foot covered lifeboat was thwarted by a pirate, who dove into the Indian Ocean after him. Phillips' captors appear to have tied him up afterward, Pentagon officials said.

Maersk CEO Reinhart told reporters Saturday that the crew will stay on board in Mombasa while the FBI conducts an investigation.

.........screw their human rights!!!

Kudoes to President Obama for authorizing this direct action instead of waiting for some World Court or United nations groups to do nothing. Obama did the right thing!

The only bad news is (well, aside from the coming military cuts):

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/piracy

(snip)

U.S. officials said a pirate who had been involved in negotiations to free Phillips but who was not on the lifeboat during the rescue was in military custody. FBI spokesman John Miller said that would change as the situation became "more of a criminal issue than a military issue."

(snip)

Yep, soon these pirates will be extended the full protection of the U.S court system... including the right to privacy, the right to be free from arrest until and unless U.S. officials present evidence of probable cause to believe a U.S. law has been violated and obtain a warrant signed by a judge. And the U.S. military (if they go after pirates at all in the future) will be restricted from using "unreasonable force" in the "apprehension" of pirates, stopping their boats on the high seas, etc. In other words, sinking their asses will be out.

These pirates will also be allowed to confront the witnesses against them... which means they will be able to have the sailors taken off the ship(s) that got them, transported halfway around the world to whatever U.S. court they're being tried in, and question those sailors (including ship's captains and commanders) as to the appropriateness of their actions, as though the U.S. sailors were on trial.

Yeah, I can hardly wait to serve in a military where the enemy I'm ordered to shoot at, can do that every time I try.

The good news is, we didn't have to fight WWII that way, so the bad guys didn't win that one.

Kudoes to President Obama for authorizing this direct action instead of waiting for some World Court or United nations groups to do nothing. Obama did the right thing!

Yep, soon these pirates will be extended the full protection of the U.S court system... including the right to privacy, the right to be free from arrest until and unless U.S. officials present evidence of probable cause to believe a U.S. law has been violated and obtain a warrant signed by a judge. And the U.S. military (if they go after pirates at all in the future) will be restricted from using "unreasonable force" in the "apprehension" of pirates, stopping their boats on the high seas, etc. In other words, sinking their asses will be out.

These pirates will also be allowed to confront the witnesses against them... which means they will be able to have the sailors taken off the ship(s) that got them, transported halfway around the world to whatever U.S. court they're being tried in, and question those sailors (including ship's captains and commanders) as to the appropriateness of their actions, as though the U.S. sailors were on trial.

Yeah, I can hardly wait to serve in a military where the enemy I'm ordered to shoot at, can do that every time I try.

The good news is, we didn't have to fight WWII that way, so the bad guys didn't win that one.

Our Military did exactly their job beautifully as warranted by the situation (NAVY SEALS ROCK!).

Our intelligent and calm new President did exactly the right thing consulting with his chain of command as Commander in Chief to actually resolve the immediate bad situation and didn't get sucked into making crazy saber rattling public statements just to make himself feel tough... like Bush did.

I'd love nothing more than to see this "pirate" in a fully televised US court trial. Here we'd be sure he got the stiff sentence he deserves. I'd hope to see the same with Bin Laden someday.

Our court system for heinous criminals is just fine for me!

they shot 3 out of 4 of them right? we need to learn to just shoot them all so we dont have to drag them back here and give them welfair! If they are obviously guilty like these pirates were that is.

kind of like how when a man breaks in your house to rape and rob and kill you, if you shoot him in the leg he just turns around and takes you to court and takes everything you got. but if you shoot him in the head then its over.

they shot 3 out of 4 of them right? we need to learn to just shoot them all so we dont have to drag them back here and give them welfair! If they are obviously guilty like these pirates were that is.

kind of like how when a man breaks in your house to rape and rob and kill you, if you shoot him in the leg he just turns around and takes you to court and takes everything you got. but if you shoot him in the head then its over.

way to not think....you dont think that maybe, just maybe , we would like to get info from at least one of them?

In any event, as a former Naval Office, I am anxiously waiting to see what the Navy will do about this whole situation. For anybody who has not watched a movie in the last 10 years, you should know the Navy Seals (an elite group of special forces trained in combat at sea) are a mean group of combatants. I can kind of picture in my mind a group of perhaps 20 men suddenly popping up out of the water around the lifeboat with guns at the ready.

This is the perfect situation for the Navy Seals to handle. They would look like heroes in the US and send a much needed message to the pirates that the US will willing to spend "millions for defense, not one cent for tribute" (a quote incorrectly attributed to Thomas Jefferson).

I don't know how this will all turn out, but to my eyes, this is one terrorist attack where the US military finally has the ability to fight a skirmish on its own playing field. The terrorists are out in the open. No hiding behind civilians in this case - no where to run, no where to hide!

Well, I hate to say, "I told you so..." but I told you so!

Asked how the snipers could have killed each pirate with a single shot in the darkness, Gortney described them as "extremely, extremely well-trained." He told NBC's "Today" show the shooting by the snipers was ordered by the captain of the Bainbridge after the pirates came into view.

Military officials were widely praising the snipers for three flawless shots, which they described as remarkable, coming at night and from the stern of a ship on rolling waters.

The Navy released images of the scene from an unmanned drone, Scan Eagle. It showed that the snipers had positioned themselves on the fantail of the Bainbridge. The snipers fired simultaneously. One of the pirates was in the pilot house.

The SEALS arrived on the scene by parachuting from their aircraft into the sea, and they were picked up by the Bainbridge, a senior U.S. official said.

Let me say it again... The Navy SEALS are an extremely well trained group of mean m.f. Let another group of pirates try attacking an American ship again, and they will join their mates deep in Davy Jones locker!

Werbung:
you mean the increase? Programs where to be cut, overall funds went up.

The increase budget numbers will not beat inflation predictions. In terms of GDP (the real measure of defense spending) we will be at one of the lowest levels since the Carter years.

All of that aside, congrats to the SEALS, as well as Obama for giving the order, to end this situation. However, no one should think this is going to end pirate attacks. I suspect there will be more, and we need to ensure our following responses are equally as well done.

Back