UN chief says "clear violations of international humanitarian law" in Gaza

reedak

1. ....Speaking before the 15-member UN Security Council on Tuesday, Guterres pleaded for civilians to be protected and warned that the fighting risked a wider conflagration in the region.

“It is important to also recognise the attacks by Hamas did not happen in a vacuum. The Palestinian people have been subjected to 56 years of suffocating occupation,” Guterres said.

“But the grievances of the Palestinian people cannot justify the appalling attacks by Hamas. And those appalling attacks cannot justify the collective punishment of the Palestinian people,” he said.

Guterres also criticised Israel without naming it, saying “protecting civilians does not mean ordering more than one million people to evacuate to the south, where there is no shelter, no food, no water, no medicine and no fuel, and then continuing to bomb the south itself.”...

In his speech, Guterres called the attack by Hamas “horrifying and unprecedented” and demanded the release of the roughly 200 people captured and held captive by Hamas....

Source Link: https://www.aljazeera.com/news/2023...ons-of-international-humanitarian-law-in-gaza

3. Malaysian Prime Minister Anwar Ibrahim led a rally of more than 20,000 people who condemned Israel’s military actions in Gaza. The October 24, 2023, gathering in the capital Kuala Lumpur was the largest pro-Palestinian rally so far in Muslim-majority Malaysia. Despite warnings of blowback from pro-Israel Western nations, Anwar said his country’s relationship will not change with Hamas, the Palestinian militant group that killed more than 1,400 people during an October 7 raid on Israeli territory that prompted retaliatory strikes on the Gaza Strip.

Source Link: https://theglobalherald.com/news/malaysian-pm-calls-israels-actions-height-of-barbarism/

4. The following could be part of a long fictitious conversation between the leaders of the US and China in their upcoming meeting at San Francisco in November this year.

At the meeting, the US leader may express his great disappointment at his Chinese counterpart's inability to help calm the situation in the Middle East.

In response, the Chinese leader may say: "I was stunned by the call to the UN chief to resign. I have wondered many sleepless nights: 'Can a small country speak for all the UN member states? Does that arrogant guy think he is really the Chosen One? Only the majority of the 193 member states have the power to sack the UN chief through a referendum. Could I be caught in the line of fire if I unwittingly anger the Chosen People? How shall I spend the rest of my miserable life in premature retirement if the Chosen People succeed in petitioning the Super Being to withdraw my Mandate of Heaven?'

After viewing many videos of worldwide pro-Palestinian protests, particularly in the Islamic world, I decide to wash my hands of the chaos in the Middle East as the situation there has spun out of control.

If the arrogant guy could achieve the impossible in forcing the resignation of the UN chief, he might as well call for the disbanding of the United Nations. Then the UN headquarters could be turned into a temple with statues of angels surrounding an empty giant chair. No mortal, except the Super Being, can bring the situation in the Middle East under control now."

Additional Reference:

Werbung:
Back