US trade relations with Cuba

Do you think trade and travel restrictions with Cuba should be lifted

• Total voters

The Scotsman

US president Barack Obama has taken steps to improve relations with Cuba by giving greater freedom to Cuban Americans.

Mr Obama promised during the presidential election campaign he would ease restrictions on Cubans travelling back to the Caribbean island and limits on the amount of money they could send to relatives there.

However, he has not lifted the ban on trading with Cuba which was established 47 years ago.

Since the establishement of Castros Communist Government back in the 1960s travel and trade restrictions have been imposed on Cuba by the US. Do you think it is now time that these restrictions were lifted? or do you think the underlying rationale still represent a valid reason to maintain such sanctions?

Werbung:
Of course trade relations should have been re established decades ago. The problem is, there are enough Cuban expatriots who despise Castro with a white hot hatred, who are now mostly citizens of the US, and who would vote in a block against any pol who even suggested such a thing, that ending restrictions on trade with Cuba has become a third rail that no one dares to touch.

"I, Congressman XX, declare that trade should be reestablished...." Zzzzt! Zap! Oh, oh, get that poor man off the tracks before the train comes and runs over his body.

Maybe when Castro finally croaks.

China as commie fought us in Korea and supplied arms in Nam against us.
Veitnam killed many americans in war....we trade with both, I can go to both...both have made great from there communist roots and mroe freedoms...
Cuba never attacked us..though we did attack it ....and we dont trade, cant travle...nothing....

what policy worked better?

End the retarded embargo in Cuba. its not effective, dumb and counter productive.

Yep lift them, its always bothered me that the government told me who I can and can not boycott. I want the choice to boycott them, I dont want my government telling me who to boycott.

But Cuba is a Communist country. They are extreme leftist. Aren't you afraid of losing rightist points by suggesting that we trade with the extreme left?

Here is what would happen to you if you were an elected official of the federal government:

What-039-s-Inside-the-Brain-that-Waits-for-an-Electric-Shock-2.gif

Never touch the third rail.

But Cuba is a Communist country. They are extreme leftist. Aren't you afraid of losing rightist points by suggesting that we trade with the extreme left?

Here is what would happen to you if you were an elected official of the federal government:

What-039-s-Inside-the-Brain-that-Waits-for-an-Electric-Shock-2.gif

Never touch the third rail.

Its up to me if I dont want to buy or trade with them, the damn govenrment does not need to be telling me who to boycott. I personally would have nothing to do with cuba, just like I try not to buy anything from china. but it means nothing if its my governemnt doing the boycotting for me. I need to make that stand all on my own and I want the right to boycott them all on my own.

by the way we already trade with the extreme left, hell we have become the extreme left these days...

Let the people decide for themselves if they want to support a place like cuba or china. I want that right and If I had that right, I would never buy anything from cuba

also I would like the law that says any cuban who can make it to US soil is automaticly a US citizen changed so they are illegal aliens just like all the others and have to be sent back to cuba

Its up to me if I dont want to buy or trade with them, the damn govenrment does not need to be telling me who to boycott. I personally would have nothing to do with cuba, just like I try not to buy anything from china. but it means nothing if its my governemnt doing the boycotting for me. I need to make that stand all on my own and I want the right to boycott them all on my own.

Right on. Let the people, not the government decide. Are you sure you're a conservative, and not a libertarian?

Lots of luck, by the way, avoiding purchasing anything from China these days. Maybe if you joined the Amish, you could accomplish that miracle.

by the way we already trade with the extreme left, hell we have become the extreme left these days...

If by "left" you mean big government statism, we are heading that direction for sure.

Let the people decide for themselves if they want to support a place like cuba or china. I want that right and If I had that right, I would never buy anything from cuba

also I would like the law that says any cuban who can make it to US soil is automaticly a US citizen changed so they are illegal aliens just like all the others and have to be sent back to cuba

I wonder who came up with the policy that they are welcome to stay if they make it to land, but are returned if they are found at sea? What possible logic could have inspired such a plan? It's kind of like baseball, if you touch the base in time, you're safe. Immigration is a little more serious than baseball, though, even if it isn't being treated as such.

Right on. Let the people, not the government decide. Are you sure you're a conservative, and not a libertarian?

I am not anything really, I don’t agree enough with any party to be part of that party. I just agree less with the democrats than any other party… but that is only because the uber liberals took it over.

Lots of luck, by the way, avoiding purchasing anything from China these days. Maybe if you joined the Amish, you could accomplish that miracle.

I do better than most but not as good as I would like, I also do my best not to give money to liberals so that stops me from seeing some movies and eating some foods exc. I try hard to think about what I do with my time and money to be sure it reflects what I believe in.

If by "left" you mean big government statism, we are heading that direction for sure.

We need to get back to the basics. The federal government needs a strong military to protect us and good border security, and a SMALL handful of other things. That’s it, the rest is waste.

I wonder who came up with the policy that they are welcome to stay if they make it to land, but are returned if they are found at sea? What possible logic could have inspired such a plan? It's kind of like baseball, if you touch the base in time, you're safe. Immigration is a little more serious than baseball, though, even if it isn't being treated as such.

Kennedy

Open it up...look at all of the resorts and palatial hotels/condominiums have been built by the Canadians, French, Swedes, etc., etc., and where do we go: Virgin Islands, Cancun, Porto la Varta.

We can't afford to travel to Hawaii anymore and this little island is just a boat ride away...JEEZ LOUISE the amount of revenue that could be generated by Americans traveling back & forth to Cuba could provide many a impoverished Cuban a better wage...hell it might even create a wave of reverse boat people fleeing the high crime area of Miami and RETURN HOME!!!

Werbung:
Open it up...look at all of the resorts and palatial hotels/condominiums have been built by the Canadians, French, Swedes, etc., etc., and where do we go: Virgin Islands, Cancun, Porto la Varta.

We can't afford to travel to Hawaii anymore and this little island is just a boat ride away...JEEZ LOUISE the amount of revenue that could be generated by Americans traveling back & forth to Cuba could provide many a impoverished Cuban a better wage...hell it might even create a wave of reverse boat people fleeing the high crime area of Miami and RETURN HOME!!!

They won’t go home till the Castro’s are gone. I bet they love and miss their country very much but they could not live in that oppression. I hope they can go home one day when things get better in Cuba and they I am sure would want to go home.

Back