What historical events or what stories of people in history make you cry?

Yo Daddy!

What historical events or what stories of people in history make you cry?

The attacks on Pearl Harbor and the 9/11 attacks.

I feel anger and sadness at these attacks.

The assassination of JFK.

I feel anguish and sadness that such a leader could be struck down before he could really get started. He was so young and was so fully American. A waste of his potential greatness.

The evacuation of Dunkirk in WWII.

The call was sent out to every British small boat owner near the Channel that the 300,000 man British Expeditionary Force (B.E.F.) fighting the Nazis in France were about to be killed or captured. So, British small boat owners and ship captains, military and civilian enthusiastically stepped up to volunteer their help. In anything that would float, they set out to the coast of France to rescue the stranded B.E.F. troops.

Thousands of little boats braved heavy German gunfire, aquatic mines and the German Air Force (Luftwaffe) attacks from above, to get close enough to the shallow water beaches of Dunkirk, and nearby ports of Western France, to rescue them.

200,000 men were saved thanks to the selfless gallantry of the British people and small boat owners.

The rescued soldiers would live to fight again and later help save the world from Nazi fascism.

A magnificent display of the indomitable British spirit.

Dunkirk was a strategic loss for the allies, but the rescue was a rallying event for British morale and a source of inspiration even 70 years later.

Last edited:
Werbung:
I generally don't cry, and if I did I don't think it would be for anybody known to history. At least those known to history are remembered for one reason or another.

If I did cry for someone it would be for all the millions and probably billions of people who died alone, in ignominy, for no good reason, maybe on some ancient battlefield long forgotten, perhaps in a human sacrifice in some sort of anti Christian culture, perhaps some baby just beaten on a rock because their parents didn't want it, perhaps a girl sold into slavery and killed while she was being used. When you think about all the horrible and terrible cultures that existed hundreds and even thousands of years ago, and how many people must have died in the most terrible circumstances, and tortured as well, I just think, what a terrible way to go. No person should ever have to die like that but many do and many still do.

Back