What's YOUR take on John Adams' statement that the U.S. Constitution was only adequate to govern "a moral and religious People"?

Yo Daddy!

One of the foremost constitutional theorists of the founding generation, John Adams, observed, “Our Constitution was made only for a moral and religious People. It is wholly inadequate to the government of any other.”1 He wasn’t the only Founding Father to hold this view. Indeed, James Madison wrote that our Constitution requires “sufficient virtue among men for self-government,” otherwise, “nothing less than the chains of despotism can restrain them from destroying and devouring one another.”2

Preserving a Constitution Designed for a Moral and Religious People

REGENT UNIVERSITY AUGUST 3, 2020

Screenshot_20220504-115436_kindlephoto-68950898.png

Werbung:
One of the foremost constitutional theorists of the founding generation, John Adams, observed, “Our Constitution was made only for a moral and religious People. It is wholly inadequate to the government of any other.”1 He wasn’t the only Founding Father to hold this view. Indeed, James Madison wrote that our Constitution requires “sufficient virtue among men for self-government,” otherwise, “nothing less than the chains of despotism can restrain them from destroying and devouring one another.”2

View attachment 1919
He is not wrong. When you have so many immoral people in a democracy, the country cannot stand.

View attachment 1919
I think he was right same with all laws also no law can prevent a crime

He is not wrong. When you have so many immoral people in a democracy, the country cannot stand.

define "immoral" and how many are required before a country "can't stand"?

should we go back to the days of slavery and women not voting..or what? lol

define "immoral" and how many are required before a country "can't stand"?

should we go back to the days of slavery and women not voting..or what? lol

should we go back to the days of slavery and women not voting..or what? Only a complete moron and idiot would suggest that. Moral is simple a person who bases their actions on what is commonly deemed to be moral action like not robbing and raping people as so many do. You see the construction is merely a set of guide lines to base laws on . Laws are pointless if the majority ignore them ,
Our founding fathers were wise democrats want to throw out the construction and pervert it .

If people won't obey the law, at least a moral and Christian people will respect their God.

And for centuries they did, to a great degree.

Now that the Communists, America haters and stupidly evil minded have tried to thoroughly cleanse our society of Christianity, those people who are Godless have only man's law to obey.

And if they dont respect the law WE ARE ALLL at risk.

And the reason they dont respect men's law is largely due to Democrat dimwittery.

The same dimwittery that caused the Democrats to toss Christianity in the trash.

should we go back to the days of slavery and women not voting..or what? Only a complete moron and idiot would suggest that. Moral is simple a person who bases their actions on what is commonly deemed to be moral action like not robbing and raping people as so many do. You see the construction is merely a set of guide lines to base laws on . Laws are pointless if the majority ignore them ,
Our founding fathers were wise democrats want to throw out the construction and pervert it .

so when he said "When you have so many immoral people in a democracy, the country cannot stand" he was just speaking hypothetically, about something that might happen someday maybe?

If people won't obey the law, at least a moral and Christian people will respect their God.

And for centuries they did, to a great degree.

Now that the Communists, America haters and stupidly evil minded have tried to thoroughly cleanse our society of Christianity, those people who are Godless have only man's law to obey.

And if they dont respect the law WE ARE ALLL at risk.

And the reason they dont respect men's law is largely due to Democrat dimwittery.

The same dimwittery that caused the Democrats to toss Christianity in the trash.

sure, they thought their god said to persecute gays, put blacks in slavery, don't let women vote, etc.

that's the problem..religious people doing things in the name of their god.

"toss christianity in the trash"? lol. plenty of democrats are christians, moron. nothing has been "tossed in the trash", except for hateful anti-american actions like persecuting gays in the name of the christian god.

sure, they thought their god said to persecute gays, put blacks in slavery, don't let women vote, etc.

"toss christianity in the trash"? lol. plenty of democrats are christians, moron. nothing has been "tossed in the trash", except for hateful anti-american actions like persecuting gays in the name of the christian god.

If God doesnt like Gays, I think HE should take it up with them.

I find same sex kissing and physical displays of affection beyond a hug and peck to be off putting.

But I am not bothered by the idea of homosex for those who like it.

It just occurred to me that Gays had better well learn to not need anyone else's help or protection because befriending Democrats is no sure thing. And Gays seem confused about who their most reliable friends might be when things get crazy.

Last edited:

From the movie Moneyball:

"If he's a good hitter, why doesn't he hit good?"

If there are Democrats who are Christians, why aren't they acting like Christians?

The constitution does not dictate morality or religious beliefs. Those are personal things so in that regard John Adams was full of shit.

I do not think John Adams had a high opinion of ordinary people who had no right to vote back then. Women would not have the right to vote until 1919.

The constitution does not dictate morality or religious beliefs. Those are personal things so in that regard John Adams was full of shit.

I do not think John Adams had a high opinion of ordinary people who had no right to vote back then. Women would not have the right to vote until 1919.
they did a good job with the Constuction

As one of the designers of our Constutution, do you think he knew it's strengths and weaknesses as a governing document?

To make the Constitution effective in governing the devout first Americans, I think the document was allowed to be less restrictive because he counted on the God-fearing people's own adherence to religious principles to make up the difference.

Werbung:
As one of the designers of our Constutution, do you think he knew it's strengths and weaknesses as a governing document?

To make the Constitution effective in governing the devout first Americans, I think the document was allowed to be less restrictive because he counted on the God-fearing people's own adherence to religious principles to make up the difference.

I do not trust god fearing people any more than an atheist. In some ways less.

Name a religious organization of any size in this country that promotes freedom.

Back