Cults

It does not seem very productive to call the persons making the claim fundamental evangelical jerks if you don't even indicate who they are or what they said

I'm sorry. . .I thought that the whole world (or at least, all of the US) had watched that ridiculous display of ignorance on TV. . . .but if you had not. . .here it is!:

Evangelical Baptist Pastor: 'Mormonism Is a Cult, Mitt Romney Is Not ... www.christianpost.com › PoliticsCached
You +1'd this publicly. Undo
Oct 7, 2011 – Robert Jeffress, the evangelical pastor of First Baptist Dallas, said Mitt Romney is not a Christian and Mormonism is a cult, after introducing Rick ...

According the theological definition that begins this thread it is impossible for all or none of the religions to be cults.[/QUOTE]

I am NOT into theology. . .and I do not follow their logic about what is a "cult" and what is not!

Every religion is manmade. Only an universal GOD is real. Manmade religions DIVIDE people while GOD's wish is to UNITE his creatures.

This is MY belief. . .and whether or not it matches with a "theologica" point of view is moot to me!

Werbung:
Good links!

I just didn't realize that ANYONE in the US had been able to remain blind to this "development!"

its not as if Romney claimed to be anything else

as a catholic you should be most appalled at his being LDS. but LDS does not accuse catholics of not being Christians (not to say that they don't have issues with that sect).

meanwhile, back at the thread, curios to seeoc's opinion of what sort of cult these folks are referring to.

its not as if Romney claimed to be anything else

as a catholic you should be most appalled at his being LDS. but LDS does not accuse catholics of not being Christians (not to say that they don't have issues with that sect).

meanwhile, back at the thread, curios to seeoc's opinion of what sort of cult these folks are referring to.

As I said, I am a "recovered" Catholic, and I look at ALL religions as manmade, and most of them rather negative, as their goal is mostly to "divide" people with their manmade dogmas rather than UNITE people under an universal God's wish.

I see LDS and Catholicism, and Islam, and Lutheranism, and Judaism as just "flavors" of religions created by men's need to identify their God to their own culture, a lot more than to identify their culture with a ONE GOD!

I'm sorry. . .I thought that the whole world (or at least, all of the US) had watched that ridiculous display of ignorance on TV. . . .but if you had not. . .here it is!:

Evangelical Baptist Pastor: 'Mormonism Is a Cult, Mitt Romney Is Not ... www.christianpost.com › PoliticsCached
You +1'd this publicly. Undo
Oct 7, 2011 – Robert Jeffress, the evangelical pastor of First Baptist Dallas, said Mitt Romney is not a Christian and Mormonism is a cult, after introducing Rick ...

!

Your link lead me to a home page that had at least a hundred articles on it.

Sorry by I just can't use that.

And yes I have seen a few sound bites on tv of people saying lds is a cult. (but it is up to you to support your own statements so i can know we are talking about the same ones) One cant really say from a soundbite - which is exactly why the reporters later condemnation as ignorant was itself ignorant. As near as I could tell all the people saying lds is a cult were religious which would imply they used the theological definition and would make them informed rather than ignorant.

Your link lead me to a home page that had at least a hundred articles on it.

Sorry by I just can't use that.

And yes I have seen a few sound bites on tv of people saying lds is a cult. (but it is up to you to support your own statements so i can know we are talking about the same ones) One cant really say from a soundbite - which is exactly why the reporters later condemnation as ignorant was itself ignorant. As near as I could tell all the people saying lds is a cult were religious which would imply they used the theological definition and would make them informed rather than ignorant.

Come on Dr. Who. . .you are smart enough to put the name I provided (which, as I said, is the name of the pastor who made that ludicrous statement) in your search engine and find his LITERAL statement!

But, here it is again:

By ALEXANDER BURNS | 10/7/11 3:45 PM EDT Updated: 10/7/11 4:55 PM EDT
Texas evangelical leader Robert Jeffress, the Baptist megachurch pastor who introduced Rick Perry at the Values Voter Summit, said Friday afternoon he does not believe Mitt Romney is a Christian.

Jeffress described Romney's Mormon faith as a “cult,” and said evangelicals had only one real option in the 2012 primaries.

Continue Reading

“That is a mainstream view, that Mormonism is a cult,” Jeffress told reporters here. “Every true, born again follower of Christ ought to embrace a Christian over a non-Christian.”

Asked by POLITICO if he believed Romney is a Christian, Jeffress answered: “No.”

Jeffress's comments represent the first major attack of the 2012 cycle on Romney over his membership in the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints, an issue that some Romney supporters believe cost the former Massachusetts governor in his last presidential run.

The attack on Romney wasn’t just faith-based. Jeffress called the Republican presidential candidate a “conservative out of convenience” who “does not have a consistent track record on the subject of marriage, on the sanctity of life.”

“I just do not believe that we as conservative Christians can expect him to stand strong for the issues that are important to us,” he said.

Jeffress said that he had not spoken with Perry about his views on Romney's faith and was “in no way speaking for him.” In an email, Perry campaign spokesman Robert Black said that the campaign didn’t choose Jeffress to introduce Perry and does not share his view of Mormonism.

Read more: http://www.politico.com/news/stories/1011/65445.html#ixzz1c8Ljw5I2

By the way, I watched that crazy make that statement during an impromptu interview just a few minutes after he made that statement, and he repeated it several times.

Did you REALLY not see or read about this?

Well that first one is easy to clear up.

"Mormonism was invented 1800 years after Jesus Christ and the founding of Christianity, and it has its own founder, Joseph Smith, its own set of doctrines and its own book, the Book of Mormon. And that, by definition, is a theological cult, that's all I'm saying." - Robert Jefress

Many in the media have been calling Jefress ignorant. Chris matthews said:

Matthews said that the word "cult" would conjure up images of Charles Manson or Jonestown to most people. He said that Jeffress' stated preference for a Christian over what he called a non-Christian was "just a prejudice...just the same old kind of tribalism that we used to have in Europe, that we tried to leave behind."

Clearly Jefress knew both definitions and knew what he was talking about. Mathews on the other hand only understood the issue from one point of view and was himself ignorant of the basics of the argument. So who is ignorant here? Matthews was the ignorant one though he was the politically savvy one. Jefress was the educated though politically dull one.

Well that first one is easy to clear up.

"Mormonism was invented 1800 years after Jesus Christ and the founding of Christianity, and it has its own founder, Joseph Smith, its own set of doctrines and its own book, the Book of Mormon. And that, by definition, is a theological cult, that's all I'm saying." - Robert Jefress

Many in the media have been calling Jefress ignorant. Chris matthews said:

Matthews said that the word "cult" would conjure up images of Charles Manson or Jonestown to most people. He said that Jeffress' stated preference for a Christian over what he called a non-Christian was "just a prejudice...just the same old kind of tribalism that we used to have in Europe, that we tried to leave behind."

Clearly Jefress knew both definitions and knew what he was talking about. Mathews on the other hand only understood the issue from one point of view and was himself ignorant of the basics of the argument. So who is ignorant here? Matthews was the ignorant one though he was the politically savvy one. Jefress was the educated though politically dull one.

I stand corrected.

Unless he was looking for a way to escape the heat.

But fair enough.

Here is what this guy (Keller) said:

"Romney is an unashamed and proud member of the Mormon cult founded by a murdering polygamist pedophile named Joseph Smith nearly 200 years ago. The teachings of the Mormon cult are doctrinally and theologically in complete opposition to the Absolute Truth of God's Word.

Clearly he is using the theological definition.

And while he is correct about his definition to me he appears to be an idiot in several other ways not quoted above. In this thread it just does not matter if he was a M P P or not.

Come on Dr. Who. . .you are smart enough to put the name I provided (which, as I said, is the name of the pastor who made that ludicrous statement) in your search engine and find his LITERAL statement!

But, here it is again:

By the way, I watched that crazy make that statement during an impromptu interview just a few minutes after he made that statement, and he repeated it several times.

Did you REALLY not see or read about this?

I heard about it on the radio but did not remember the guys name until I read one of the articles after googling it.

yes I can google it which is what I did. You don;t seem to understand the way proticol works around here. It is best if you provide your own links and that they work and are easy to navigate. It is just polite.

Apparently he repeated a statement that is 100% accurate.

I stand corrected.

Unless he was looking for a way to escape the heat.

But fair enough.

He COULD have just been trying to escape the heat. But even if that were true he clearly understood the difference between a secular definition of a cult and a theological one. IF he were trying to escape the heat that would mean that knowing the definitions he used the secular one then later claimed to be using the theological one.

Some reporters ignorantly called him ignorant. Others rightly called this an attack on Romneys religion and did not say if it were an ingorant attack or an informed one.

He COULD have just been trying to escape the heat. But even if that were true he clearly understood the difference between a secular definition of a cult and a theological one. IF he were trying to escape the heat that would mean that knowing the definitions he used the secular one then later claimed to be using the theological one.

Some reporters ignorantly called him ignorant. Others rightly called this an attack on Romneys religion and did not say if it were an ingorant attack or an informed one.

yes not as dumb as he looked.

I heard about it on the radio but did not remember the guys name until I read one of the articles after googling it.

yes I can google it which is what I did. You don;t seem to understand the way proticol works around here. It is best if you provide your own links and that they work and are easy to navigate. It is just polite.

Apparently he repeated a statement that is 100% accurate.

Get a life Who. . .you sound more and more sanctimonious and contrariant!

his guy was stating a ridiculous dogma that is spread around extreme evangelical brainwashed people, and he was attepting to use religous dogma as a ploitical weapon against a candidate he doesn't approve off!

the fact is that evangelical Christians are just as much a "cult" as any other relion that varies from the Catholicism, which is also a cult, as it twists the words of God to separate people into manmade "tribes" of versions of the same basic belief.

You may not like my view, but I reserve my right to express it and to stand by it.

And what is also polite is to not patronize other posters and to not expose others to sanctimonious and arrogant self-righteousness!

So, I made a mistake with a link . . . Big deal!

what are you going to do? port me for being clumsy with posting links? Or give me an D-? :rolleyes:

Werbung:
Cults are always other peoples religions. Being an athiest, to me all religions are cults. I am ambivalent as to who you worship as long as it doesn't include harm or interfere in the civil rights of others. If one religion were to directly infringe on the rights of other religions in Americal I would fight to prevent this. Your opinion of Mormonism is quaint but soooo typical.

Back