Do you know what this is?

Food of the Gods! The finest eating fish known to man.

Well that is debatable! For lower 48 fish, I dont mind perch...love walleyes, but being an Alaskan I of course think that the sockeye salmon produced from Bristol Bay are the best! High healthy oil content, pure wild rivers and a proven sustainable harvest make for some of the finest eating out there.

Try smoked, canned, or grilled is prefered. There is a reason why we call it Red Gold.

whole_sockeye_salmon_lrg.jpg

wild_sockeye_salmon_fillet.jpg

Werbung:
Well that is debatable! For lower 48 fish, I dont mind perch...love walleyes, but being an Alaskan I of course think that the sockeye salmon produced from Bristol Bay are the best! High healthy oil content, pure wild rivers and a proven sustainable harvest make for some of the finest eating out there.

Try smoked, canned, or grilled is prefered. There is a reason why we call it Red Gold.

Wild Alaska salmon, food of the gods.

We used to have big salmon runs here in California, too. Protect those wild salmon, will you? They need clean, fresh, cold water and some undammed rivers to spawn in. And, don't let anyone tell you that those cute, personable sea lions the tourists in San Francisco love so much are not a big factor in the decline of salmon stocks.

There is such a thing as too many sea lions.

I'm a big perch guy myself... but those pics are good enough to make even me wanna go red!;)

I have seen footage of those Asian Carp jumping like crazy out of the Mississippi River.
Apparently it is legal to bowfish them which is fun otherwise but with all of these aerial targets that would be a challenge and a lot of fun.
It would seen to me if the point is to eradicate them from various water bodies that they might want to introduce being able to use a shotgun! That would be a hoot to say the least. I think a 20 gauge with some #8 shot would be ideal.

Yes I have. Believe it or not there is at least one death recorded by one that hit a person in a boat or personal watercraft upside the head. Unfortunately we can't eradicate them by shooting them although it may be sporting. Even a piscicide may not do the job completely. They are right on Lake Michigan's door step. Most likely they will get in. After that they will spread far and wide just like everything else.

Yes I have. Believe it or not there is at least one death recorded by one that hit a person in a boat or personal watercraft upside the head. Unfortunately we can't eradicate them by shooting them although it may be sporting. Even a piscicide may not do the job completely. They are right on Lake Michigan's door step. Most likely they will get in. After that they will spread far and wide just like everything else.

Wow! There are a lot of them. A fish that can jump like that should be a lot of sport on a rod and reel, too.

Getting rid of them entirely is another matter, probably not possible in a large body of water.

Wild Alaska salmon, food of the gods.
They are an incredible species. Sustaining civilizations for millenia.
We used to have big salmon runs here in California, too.
Yes it is a shame what the runs have become of the Lower 48 Pacific Coast great rivers.
Protect those wild salmon, will you? They need clean, fresh, cold water and some undammed rivers to spawn in.
I am doing my best. I know you are aware of the Pebble Mine issue up here. There has lately been good news on the salmon front here. The State Board of Fish, has sent a letter to the Legislature asking for them to review the laws to ensure habitat is protected.
On an even bigger note, literally tonight, the regional Native Corporation has passed a resolution in opposition of the project and one major factor to develop a mine would be a road that would probably have to cross land owned by Bristol Bay Native Corporation.
And, don't let anyone tell you that those cute, personable sea lions the tourists in San Francisco love so much are not a big factor in the decline of salmon stocks.
I saw the sea lions hanging out on pier 37(or whichever is the touristy place in SF). I found that situation with big lions hanging out on private watercraft, that simply would not fly up here. Those problem individuals are cured with a lead pill, the community splits the meat, and the hunter gets the hide. Prentative measures are generally taken where they simply are shooed away and learn that they are unwelcome.

I saw a good sized cow sunning on what appeared to be a very expensive sailboat moored in the harbor. When she went back into the water, the deckrailing she was laying against was bent badly. I can only imagine the expensive damage to vessels that is simply allowed to occur. I would never use that harbor. If I was a fee payer there I would insist measures be taken to prevent this.
There is such a thing as too many sea lions.
Moderation is best.

I'm a big perch guy myself... but those pics are good enough to make even me wanna go red!;)

Im not of what the salmon market is like in Ohio or nearby states. Mostly or maybe entirely farmed I would guess. Which is a shame because the wild product is so far superior that when compared side by side it might be equivalent ribeye with oxtail(not that I dont like oxtail).
Having made it a point to seek out fine seafood around the country anytime I travel I dont think it is fair to compare an Alaskan or even Seattle, Portland, SF fine seafood house to that of the east coast or midwest.

While I sell roughly 50 tons a year to the processor, I still make sure my family, friends and myself have enough. When it comes to subsitence salmon use, I found this website and I think it might be the best one I have found. Here is the link and Ill post a few pictures from the link.
http://www.absc.usgs.gov/research/Fisheries/Lake_Clark/subsistence.htm
Hang to dry
Lake_Clark_subsistence4.jpg

typical looking smoke house
subs_smokehouse_racks.jpg

hanging in the smoke house.
subs_smokehouse.jpg

While I doubt you could eradicate them in such a system like the Big Miss. I could honestly see being able to effectively trap shoot them with a shotgun would certainly be sporting, but also very effective at reducing numbers. Shotguns are much more effective that aerial archery. It would likely need to be regulated a little more and extra safety measures taken.

Wow! There are a lot of them. A fish that can jump like that should be a lot of sport on a rod and reel, too.

Getting rid of them entirely is another matter, probably not possible in a large body of water.

Yeah wishful thinking. They arent a sport fish in the traditional sense.
I would pay good money and travel thousands of miles to have a gamefish that could provide top water action like that! That would be unbelievable on a fly rod.

Then you want to fish for Tarpin of Florida I think

Yeah, that is on my list, but not really high. Tarpon are highly prized no doubt, and surely a thrill. In Alaska, I am what might be known as a trout bum, I know a bunch of streams where 30inch rainbows are routine. 20inches normal. I am lucky in the sense that when it comes to salmon and trout I am in the place where others spend literally tens of thousands of dollars and in some cases travel tens of thousands of miles to pursue what for me is routine. Something to be said for that. :D

Yeah, that is on my list, but not really high. Tarpon are highly prized no doubt, and surely a thrill. In Alaska, I am what might be known as a trout bum, I know a bunch of streams where 30inch rainbows are routine. 20inches normal. I am lucky in the sense that when it comes to salmon and trout I am in the place where others spend literally tens of thousands of dollars and in some cases travel tens of thousands of miles to pursue what for me is routine. Something to be said for that. :D

I mostly fish largemouth Bass, and Northern depending on what lake I am near at the time...being land of 10,000 lakes helps lol

Yeah wishful thinking. They arent a sport fish in the traditional sense.
I would pay good money and travel thousands of miles to have a gamefish that could provide top water action like that! That would be unbelievable on a fly rod.

They may not be a game fish in the traditional sense, but that doesn't mean that they can't provide some good sport.

Check this out, for example.

Of course, it's easier to brag about a big trout than a big carp.

I've never tried fly fishing for carp myself, but there are some devotees. I understand it is pretty big in Europe already.

About the Pebble Mine, I also belong to a fly fishing club whose members would gladly write letters. We would rather do it when the mine is being discussed in Congress, so it will have the most effect.

It's good to hear that the native groups are opposing it.

Werbung:
Im not of what the salmon market is like in Ohio or nearby states. Mostly or maybe entirely farmed I would guess. Which is a shame because the wild product is so far superior that when compared side by side it might be equivalent ribeye with oxtail(not that I dont like oxtail).
Having made it a point to seek out fine seafood around the country anytime I travel I dont think it is fair to compare an Alaskan or even Seattle, Portland, SF fine seafood house to that of the east coast or midwest.
In Lake Michigan the salmon are not farmed, they swim at will in the lake. They make runs upriver each fall. There currently are: Silver (Coho), King (Chinook), Splake (hybrid between brook trout and lake trout), Steel Head, Lake trout. Coho taste like canned tuna fish. Chinook taste pretty good fried or smoked, Lake trout are oily, do not fight well but are really good when smoked. In the fall it is not unusual to catch Coho, Chinook, and Lake trout in one evening outing out of Ludington, Manistee, or Frankfort.
No fish farms though.

Back