Government Can't Solve All Our Problems

GenSeneca

During the campaign Obama used the soundbite slogan:

"Government can't solve all our problems..."

Now, I don't think he really believes that and I don't think his supporters do either... it just sounds good so they say it.

Here's what I would like to know:

WHAT CAN'T GOVERNMENT SOLVE?

Please, enumerate for me all the things government cannot solve... I'd like to have that list. I'd like to know what area(s) of public life the government will not be meddling around in because its in those places that I might find sanctuary from big government and its policies. Sadly, I don't think any such area(s) exist. Statist politicians, and the authoritarian streeked sheeple who support them, seem to think government really can solve every problem... they just lie, to themselves and others, by using the slogan above.

Werbung:

Now, I don't think he really believes that and I don't think his supporters do either... it just sounds good so they say it.

Please, enumerate for me all the things government cannot solve... I'd like to have that list. I'd like to know what area(s) of public life the government will not be meddling around in because its in those places that I might find sanctuary from big government and its policies. Sadly, I don't think any such area(s) exist. Statist politicians, and the authoritarian streeked sheeple who support them, seem to think government really can solve every problem... they just lie, to themselves and others, by using the slogan above.

How about definition of marriage....
I'm tired of judical intervention on socials issues that honestly need to be breed out to make viable.
If california voters refuse gay marriage... the judical branch need not apply.
Unfortunally gay movements will have to continue educating and attempting to break down the walls that stand before them to continue forward.

Or how about capitalism...

The government need again not apply in the case of jump startign economy with money.

last time I checked nothing in the consitution gave government the power to or even the suggestion that some how we do not need consequences for bad choices made by corprations.

While the long run will dictate this the best.. Government can not fix floundering consumer confidence with piss-poor plans to hyper inflate our monetary system.

Or can we honestly call 7 trillion dollars anythign but "hyper inflation "

Agreed. I don't believe there is any sanctuary from this over-reaching monstrosity the federal government has become.

When P-E Obama made the statement, I got the feeling it was more as a qualifying statement, an 'escape clause' if you will. At the same time our all-seeing, all-caring and all-wise government is "fixing" things for us, it will be failing miserably and creating new problems and compounding the old ones.

The aspect of the government meddling in the public life areas are swiftly breached into meddling in the private life areas. The whole concept of the government solving problems is anathema to our Constitution and the protections spelled out in it and in the Bill of Rights.

Ronald Reagan's words are somewhat prophetic in his farewell address:

"...I hope we have once again reminded people that man is not free unless government is limited. There's a clear cause and effect here that is as neat and predictable as a law of physics: As government expands, liberty contracts."

It is absurdly ironic that the same people howling about Bush and violations of rights and civil liberties are the same who are demanding government continue to expand into every nook and cranny under the guise of solutions.

I read just recently that the $700 Billion bailout Barack plan, it sounds as though the way government is paying for it, is to simply print money. Again time will tell of this is true. If inflation sky rockets in the next few months, we'll all know how government paid for these bailouts.

I think Obama really believes that. He is probably distinguishing between what problems the government attempts to solve, vs. the problems that it actually can solve. It might have been more accurate if Obama said, " Government can't solve all our problems... but we will try anyway and muck things up."

Obama will certainly attempt to abort the recession, but it won't be obvious if or when it would succeed. Bush tried to solve the quality of public education problem and came up with an expensive and ineffective bureaucratic nightmare of No Child Left Behind.
Please, enumerate for me all the things government cannot solve... I'd like to have that list.
That's easy, in the light of my earlier remark, the list is "almost everything". The problems that they will actually solve are ... umm.......??

Here's a partial list of problems that the government can't solve:

The drug addiction epidemic.
The desire of homosexuals to marry.
The divorce rate.
Selfishness (see, divorce rate)
child abuse (other than punish the abusers, of course)
The tendency of some people to live above their incomes
the incidence of abortion
the failure of businesses, small or large

Here's some that the government hasn't solved, but should:

out of control government spending
illegal immigration

No, the government can't solve all our problems, and Obama knows it. Some of his more ardent supporters may not know it, but they will find out sooner or later.

I read just recently that the $700 Billion bailout Barack plan, it sounds as though the way government is paying for it, is to simply print money. Again time will tell of this is true. If inflation sky rockets in the next few months, we'll all know how government paid for these bailouts.
You are right in a sense, but technically it will happen the same way as all government spending for the last 3 decades. The Federal Reserve will print bonds. The bonds will be sold to investors, and the proceeds of the sales will finance everything the government does. Our national debt will go up via T-bills. The bailout may not specifically lead to inflation, but added to our growing debt, it will accelerate the pace of unpleasantness of some sort in the future.

You are right in a sense, but technically it will happen the same way as all government spending for the last 3 decades. The Federal Reserve will print bonds. The bonds will be sold to investors, and the proceeds of the sales will finance everything the government does. Our national debt will go up via T-bills. The bailout may not specifically lead to inflation, but added to our growing debt, it will accelerate the pace of unpleasantness of some sort in the future.

Actually, the sources I read from... which I have not been able to locate right now, is that they simply voted to increase the nations money supply, not print up new T-bills. As in they are just going to print the money and use it, not increase our debt.

Germany after WW1, anyone? I am not completely convinced of this though, since I haven't been able to verify it.

If it's true... we are in big trouble.

Actually, the sources I read from... which I have not been able to locate right now, is that they simply voted to increase the nations money supply, not print up new T-bills. As in they are just going to print the money and use it, not increase our debt.

Germany after WW1, anyone? I am not completely convinced of this though, since I haven't been able to verify it.

If it's true... we are in big trouble.

A quick google of bailout + source revealed exactly nothing. I'm not sure just where the feds are getting the money.

There are a lot of unfortunate examples of nations that tried to pay bills by printing more money, including Germany as noted. Argentina tried the same thing, with the same result, as did several Latin American nations.

yes, we're in big trouble if our government tries it.

Actually, the sources I read from... which I have not been able to locate right now, is that they simply voted to increase the nations money supply, not print up new T-bills. ....

If that's really the case, they should print it in denominations of $100,000 to save paper.

How about definition of marriage....
I'm tired of judical intervention on socials issues that honestly need to be breed out to make viable.
If california voters refuse gay marriage... the judical branch need not apply.
Unfortunally gay movements will have to continue educating and attempting to break down the walls that stand before them to continue forward.

so if voters vote for something, it does not matter if its constitutional?

Debt or printed money both are going to make inflation grow.

Seneca,
Still would like a response on your since the debt doesnt matter thread, but I am not holding my breath.

To answer your question though...Government cant solve the problems that the people being governed dont want solved. Being a democracy we are subject to the views of many and all on a variety of issues. We wont be able to solve a number of problems when the clash is between the overall poppulation and select but very rich corporations and individuals.

For instance, we have people a good portion of our poppulation who are either without affordable health insurance, or lacking it entirely. The competing factions are the everyday people who need access to health care that is quality and affordable. Tens of Millions of Americans are one major health issue from financial ruin even though they have "medical insurance". But somehow, through a variety of avenues, the insurance companies have convinced the elected officials and plenty of others that the current method is the best answer. Until that is, they are themselves inflicted.

In summary, Government cant solve the human nature surrounding what is often called the "7 deadly sins" while I generally dont buy into the Christian dogma, but it is worthy to note them.

Lust: The government in its American form shouldnt spend much time bothering in consentual acts between adults. It is going to happen regardless, trying to legislate and enforce these issues is a huge burden with little positive effect.
Gluttony: In such a consumer driven market, people are going to spend thier money where they want.
Greed: Especially when this is done in a predatory manner. See my above example on a very critical need in our society. The overall level of health especially among the working poor and middle class has declined in the last generation and that service as come as a burden to the individuals and businesses involved.
Wrath: This is an interesting one, but I think when it comes to the current two party system that has controlled system we have had for the better part of 200 years. Whereas one party spends 8 years pushing thier agenda, and then the shift changes and a move in the opposite direction happens, and in a cyclical manner, nothing gets done, but it is somehow justified by the various ruling groups because they need to correct past wrongs.
Envy: As someone earlier mentioned, this is directly along the lines of people actually living within thier means, and recognizing this fact.
Then of course we have "pride" which is fine on its own. But there is more too it. It is often the drive towards vanity by all classes that becomes thier own personal downfall, which adds up to a societal structural failure, and it is tied in a way to wrath as mentioned earlier.

Meaning, those who are already are rich, "need" to maintain thier status in that class, but also the desire by lower class folks to appear to be in a higher social class than they actually exist. The problem with vanity, is that in most cases the rich get richer, and the poor get poorer.

Werbung:
Debt or printed money both are going to make inflation grow.

Under Reagan, inflation dropped from Carter's double digit inflation, to about 4%, while debt increased.

Where does this debt = inflation, theory come from? I'm not saying it's wrong, cause I don't know. But I am saying that in history, I don't see evidence supporting that.

Back