1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Discuss politics - join our community by registering for free here! HOP - the political discussion forum

Huckabee, leader of the american taliban?

Discussion in 'U.S. Politics' started by r0beph, Jan 16, 2008.

1. r0beph

r0beph New Member

2. jpn of Seattle

jpn of Seattle Member

That's what this country needs in its fight against Islamic fundamentalism...good ol' Christian fundamentalism!

Who knows? Maybe Americans will pass a law that only Christians can vote! Wouldn't that be swell? So the ten to twenty percent of us who think religion is a bunch of bunk, and another large percentage who choose to believe in something other than a Christian god, can just sit outside while the good little Christians decide for us how we should be governed.

I don't think this is going to go down very well...I my opinion it proves that Huckabee doesn't agree with a very basic premise of American civil liberty--which is that if you leave me alone, I'll leave you alone. When will the religiously obsessed stop trying to foist their religion onto everyone else?

I keep waiting for a correspondent to ask Huckabee how his belief in "The End Times" affects his policy on the environment, or how his belief in "The Second Coming" affects his policy vis-a-vis Israel and Palestine.

Seems to me like pretty legitimate and obvious questions.

3. bewitched

bewitched New Member

yeah, nothing like making it a true "religious" war, Huckabee would be the top Crusader in office. just what the enemy wants.
    truly scary!
    instead they would prefer Obama, who with his Muslim background, would be sympathetic and sell out our country.

4. ilikeboobs

ilikeboobs Member

Unlike the taliban, though, a fundamentalist Christian government wouldn't beat and mame women for silly little infractions, and there wouldn't be any head-chopping for minor crimes.

You can't plop all religions into the same basket. Some are rotten, some are good.

5. 9sublime

9sublime Active Member

Nobodys government should force religion upon them, it is a basic human right.

6. Popeye

Popeye Active Member

Despite what you may think, not everyone in the US is A Christian. In Fact, approx. 25% aren't, leaves an awful lot of people.

7. Coyote

Coyote Active Member

How silly. A fundamentalist Christian government would be just like the Talibon: public stonings, executing gays, supressing other religions, forcing biblical modesty on women, all kinds of fun and gory stuff. So they're not into beheadings but there a lots of good biblical ways to kill people.

8. bewitched

bewitched New Member

but funny thing about that Bible, they don't have lethal injection in there anywhere.

but how can you condemn the Taliban in one thread and not recognize them as an enemy in another? these people assisted in attacking the US and have declared war on the US.

9. bewitched

bewitched New Member

it's not what I think that matters. it's how the enemy see the US. and with a super religious leader they would consider the country super religious followers, since we elected him.
    think like the enemy to understand the enemy.

10. jpn of Seattle

jpn of Seattle Member

Actually, Obama was raised a Christian. He was never a Muslim.

I would much prefer an atheist, myself.

11. jpn of Seattle

jpn of Seattle Member

The "enemy"? See them under our beds at night, do we?

Here we are, the richest, most powerful nation the Earth has ever seen, and some of our citizens are obsessed with the "enemies" that surround us.

Geeze, man, get a sense of reality.

12. jpn of Seattle

jpn of Seattle Member

"Good"?

Christian fundamentalists are evil swine, in my book. I'm so glad I live in a country where they can't impose their twisted, bull**** ideology on us. Maybe you're living in the wrong country.

13. ilikeboobs

ilikeboobs Member

Do they kill people in the name of God? Do they force women to live as third-class citizens? Do they use terror tactics to force compliance with their beliefs? No, No, and NO.

Look, I'm a very traditional Catholic and while I'd certainly wouldn't mind living in a Catholic theocracy, I have no problem living in the US where theocracy isn't allowed. And, I'm glad that the evangelicals don't have the power over us that muslims do in some middle east countries. Freedom of religion is good, if you ask me, and freedom to be a religion-hater is fine by me, too. That said, I'd MUCH rather live under evangelical rule than muslim or hindu rule. And, if given that ultimatum, I bet a lot of people would agree with me.

14. Coyote

Coyote Active Member

Yes. Yes. Yes.

Fortunately most reside in countries where the secular rule of law is more important then Biblical law.

15. Coyote

Coyote Active Member

Nope, only lost of stonings and maybe some burnings.

Who says I don't recognize the "Taliban" as an enemy?