Iran Starts Bushehr Reactor

Werbung:
With the start of an Iranian nuclear facility, (that is enriching uranium) it seriously calls into question the credibility of the UN and the US itself.

The UNSC has made numerous demands that Iran "halt all enrichment." Not high-level enrichment, or enrichment at a certain level, but all enrichment activities. Iran said no, and in response there are no consequences.

Coming on the heels of Iraq, and now Iran, there is a very good argument that the United Nations has lost all credibility on the world stage in terms of conflict scenarios.

The United States on the other hand has openly stated that an Iranian nuclear weapon would be unacceptable, and this nuclear facility is a major step in that direction. While its existence does not automatically mean Iran will obtain a weapon, it does mean that Iran can obtain one in a much shorter time frame, and possibly without the knowledge of the US.

Either way, the United States looks ridiculous arguing that Iran must not be allowed to obtain a nuclear weapon, and when they make a major step in that direction, we call it "not a threat."

In international relations, credibility is everything, and this event is a blow to both the United States and certainly a major one to the United Nations.

I can't think of a single point in my life where I've thought the UN had any credibility.

Yes, we look weaker and we have lost face because of this. The most likely country to prevent the Iranians from going nuclear was Israel but our support of them has been in question under the current administration.

Has Obama actually said that a nuclear armed Iran is unacceptable? It seems to me he has already accepted it as an eventuality that cannot be stopped and that's why he's so interested in "peaceful" negotiations.

I can't think of a single point in my life where I've thought the UN had any credibility.

Yes, we look weaker and we have lost face because of this. The most likely country to prevent the Iranians from going nuclear was Israel but our support of them has been in question under the current administration.

Has Obama actually said that a nuclear armed Iran is unacceptable? It seems to me he has already accepted it as an eventuality that cannot be stopped and that's why he's so interested in "peaceful" negotiations.

Haha, I deleted that post because I just sat down and fired it off, and some parts of it are not actually accurate. So, perhaps disregard that one? That is what I get for not bothering to proofread right.

Haha, I deleted that post because I just sat down and fired it off, and some parts of it are not actually accurate. So, perhaps disregard that one? That is what I get for not bothering to proofread right.

Feel free to remove what I quoted from you in my post.

Has Obama actually said he would not tolerate a nuclear armed Iran?

Feel free to remove what I quoted from you in my post.

Has Obama actually said he would not tolerate a nuclear armed Iran?

He has never used the language of "will not tolerate" that I can recall, however (in March I think?) he met with Sarkozy and they jointly declared that the "international community must prevent Iran from developing nuclear weapons."

Now, what that means exactly, be it sanctions or whatever is up for debate, as is the point that the reactor at Bushehr does not automatically mean they will have weapons etc.

Why not a nuclear IRAN??? I mean we tolerate a nuclear North Korea so why not IRAN??? I mean it's obvious we're not about to do anything about it. Lord knows if we did this world would get very ugly in a heart beat. :eek:

Why not a nuclear IRAN??? I mean we tolerate a nuclear North Korea so why not IRAN??? I mean it's obvious we're not about to do anything about it. Lord knows if we did this world would get very ugly in a heart beat.
It will get even more ugly if this nuclear proliferation is left unchecked and any country with the resources can build nukes.

It will get even more ugly if this nuclear proliferation is left unchecked and any country with the resources can build nukes.

Yes. If Iran is not stopped, nuclear proliferation in the ME will explode. The Saudis, Egyptians, Turks, etc will start building. The consequences of this are anyone's guess.

I would guess the consequences will be deadly.

Yes. If Iran is not stopped, nuclear proliferation in the ME will explode. The Saudis, Egyptians, Turks, etc will start building. The consequences of this are anyone's guess.

I would guess the consequences will be deadly.

I would probably be more weary of a Saudi nuclear weapon than an Iranian one actually.

Werbung:
Back