1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Discuss politics - join our community by registering for free here! HOP - the political discussion forum

McCain running robocalls in home state of Arizona

Discussion in 'Elections & Political Parties' started by Popeye, Oct 29, 2008.

1. Popeye

Popeye Active Member

2. BigRob

BigRob Well-Known Member

I am not sure this whole you "have to carry your home state" thing is really valid. I mean look at Gore and Tennessee. He was never going to carry that.

Moving to Arizona however, it went Blue for Clinton in 1996, it is hardly unconceivable that it could potentially go blue for Obama. That said, I do not think that it will, and it certainly in no way, shape, or form amounts to an "embarrassment" as you claim.

3. Popeye

Popeye Active Member

Gore was a VP candidate and the fact that he couldn't carry Tenn. was brought up endlessly by both sides.

I think McCain will ultimately win there but this is his home state, yet he's having trouble...that says something. He shouldn't have to be spending money defending Arizona....if he was a strong candidate he wouldn't have to..

4. BigRob

BigRob Well-Known Member

Uhm, Gore ran for President in 2000, and TN stayed red, even though Clinton took it both times before.

I believe it was probably brought up, but I never did see it as much of an actual issue.

I don't know, like you said, Gore was unable to carry his home state, but still did manage to win the popular vote. I think people place to much emphasis on carrying the "home state."