Votes: 1 50.0%
  • is not happeniing

Votes: 1 50.0%

• Total voters
Responsible people who spend less than they earn accumulate wealth:

"The rich are getting richer!" - Progbot

Irresponsible people who spend more than they earn accumulate debt:

"The poor are getting poorer!" - Progbot

none of which have anything to do with rich vs poor.

There are many cases of rich people, who owe more then they accumulate...And poor people who manage to save some and not spend much at all...and are still poor.

Werbung:
There are many US policies based on the redistribution of wealth, just because all wealth hasn't been completely redistributed does not mean that it isn't happening, only that it's happening slowly, by "degrees" as the quoted statement affirms.

No, that will never happen.
Money begets power, power begets money, and money begets money. Try as it might, the government will never even out income, or even come close. The difference between rich and poor is greater now than it has ever been.

Money begets power, power begets money, and money begets money. Try as it might, the government will never even out income, or even come close. The difference between rich and poor is greater now than it has ever been.

Gen does not care about the poor you should know that by now...After all they don't effect him...

Given that we have thrown billions at the poor since the inception of programs for the poor and the number of people who are poor has neither gone up nor down in that time it would be safe to say that 1) programs don't work and 2)the poor have collected lots of money from the population at large but they still don't have good incomes or savings because the programs themselves are to blame for the lack of good jobs and savings.

We need to try something new.

We need to get rid of the guys who designed the programs that are better suited to putting money in the hands of the guys who designed them than in helping the poor improve their lives.

Gen does not care about the poor you should know that by now...After all they don't effect him...

Because I respect you I think you can do better than that.

Unless you are going to support that statement with some quotes I find it to be highly offensive to the tone of civility for all of us.

Saying that those who oppose worthless social programs do not care about the poor is a common lie and it needs to stop right away. I do not know that you are lying in this instance because you have failed to support your statement but I do know that what you said is often a lie when others say it. It does not help move the discussion forward and in itself contributes to the poor not being helped.

What is your point? I asked before if you thought the "wealth gap" was a bad thing and you didn't answer.

Sure I did. I said:
Not necessarily

My point is that the prediction of equality of wealth isn't coming true. That was the question being addressed in this thread, or at least one of them, wasn't it?

No, equality of wealth is not attainable, and would just mean equality of poverty in the end.

But don't worry about it. It isn't happening.

The difference between rich and poor is greater now than it has ever been.

I don't think so.

Historically the poor have been so poor that they generally were just waiting to die.

The rich are getting richer but the poor are getting richer too. Taxing the rich does not lessen the gap it widens it. Taxing the rich does not make them poorer and it does not make the poor richer. It just harms the economy and harms everyone.

If the goal is to make all of us rich then the solution is not to punish those who are proving that success is possible.

What is your point in bringing up the "wealth gap"?
I think he is saying that there is redistribution but it is not resulting in wealth equality.

But lets look at the quote from the OP:

"a downright equal division of every thing be demanded, and voted.

What would be the consequence of this? The idle, the vicious, the intemperate, would rush into the utmost extravagance of debauchery, sell and spend all their share, and then demand a new division of those who purchased from them. "

It says that the poor would demand redistribution and then they would spend what they get and demand more. That is consistent with what PLC is saying. What do you think PLC?

Werbung:
I think he is saying that there is redistribution but it is not resulting in wealth equality.

But lets look at the quote from the OP:

"a downright equal division of every thing be demanded, and voted.

What would be the consequence of this? The idle, the vicious, the intemperate, would rush into the utmost extravagance of debauchery, sell and spend all their share, and then demand a new division of those who purchased from them. "

It says that the poor would demand redistribution and then they would spend what they get and demand more. That is consistent with what PLC is saying. What do you think PLC?

Bingo.

It's not that there aren't forces trying to bring about a redistribution of wealth so that the gap between rich and poor is getting smaller and smaller, so that the "idle, the vicious, the intemperate" have as much as the hard working, at least before the blow it all. It's that it isn't effective. Wealth begets wealth, power begets power, wealth begets power and power begets wealth.

Oh, yes, and the poor are not necessarily "idle, the vicious, the intemperate", particularly not when unemployment is acknowledged to be over 9%, and is actually probably more like 15 or 20. There are a lot of hard working people who have college degrees who are unemployed and have been for some time.

I can't imagine how difficult and degrading it must be to be rejected over and over when looking for work, only to be thought to be simply lazy.

Back