Raise Taxes or Granny Gets It

Little-Acorn

Well, the good news is, one of my questions has been answered. If we don't raise the debt ceiling by Aug. 2 (or whenever the date is), we won't necessarily default on the National Debt. Other Federal programs are open to the chop too.

Looks like the plan to scare everybody into raising taxes, is proceeding on schedule.

The issue is not, of course, whether the debt ceiling will be raised. Liberals (in both parties) have borrowed such huge amounts over the last few years, and promised so much spending, that more will HAVE to be borrowed just to meet present commitments. Instead, it is what things will the govt change along with it: raise taxes or cut spending. Raising taxes will not bring in enough additional revenue, if it brings in any at all - it is more likely to simply drag the economy to a stop.

Limbaugh said today that the Republicans should be working hard on a new commercial, to bring out right now: A scene where Barack Obama is wheeling an old woman along through the brush in a wheelchair, pushes her up to a cliff edge, and dumps her off into space.

I should have said, "Before the Democrats make that commercial themselves"... but it's too late.

At least this time it would be accurate. Last time, Democrats were trying to scare people about Paul Ryan's budget... without mentioning that it didn't reduce seniors' Social Security payments a dime.

----------------------------------

http://opinionjournal.com

Raise Taxes or Granny Gets It
The liberal media's idea of a grown-up.

from "Best of the Web Today"
by JAMES TARANTO

President Obama is pulling out the big guns and pointing them straight at your grandmother. "Obama on Tuesday said he cannot guarantee that retirees will receive their Social Security checks August 3" absent an agreement with Congress to raise the debt ceiling, CBS News reports:

"I cannot guarantee that those checks go out on August 3rd if we haven't resolved this issue. Because there may simply not be the money in the coffers to do it," Mr. Obama said in an interview with CBS Evening News anchor Scott Pelley, according to excerpts released by CBS News.
At a press conference yesterday, Obama demanded that Republicans not only authorize trillions of dollars in new borrowing,which at this point seems unavoidable, but agree to what he called "massive, job-killing tax increases" effective in 2013--i.e., after what he expects will be his re-election.

For this he drew plaudits from what used to be called the mainstream media. "Obama Grasping Centrist Banner in Debt Impasse" read the New York Times headline. The Washington Post's Chris Cillizza dubbed him "Dad-in-Chief," explaining: "Boil Obama's message down and you get this: Adults sometimes have to do things that they don't want to do. This is one of those times. So, let's get it done."

The kids are acting up, so he threatens to starve Granny to death. That's just how a strong father behaves.

It looks to us as if Obama may once again be overestimating his persuasive powers by relying for feedback on journalists who, for a combination of ideological, partisan and personal reasons, are predisposed to take his side. NewsBusters.org has a useful compilation of what it calls the "softballs" reporters lobbed at yesterday's press conference. Some of them were actually a bit adversarial, but only from the left.

Werbung:
OK. So whats your plan? How do you believe those checks should be covered if there is no money in the till? Who do you suggest go unpaid?

My choice would be legislators and their staffs. That would probably resolve the whole issue is about 9 minutes, but they already took care and ensured their own pay gets paid first, before all else.

Just to be clear, not paying our debts is unconstitutional, so interest and debt to foreigners gets paid, period. That is not a choice.

OK. So whats your plan? How do you believe those checks should be covered if there is no money in the till? Who do you suggest go unpaid?

My choice would be legislators and their staffs. That would probably resolve the whole issue is about 9 minutes, but they already took care and ensured their own pay gets paid first, before all else.

Just to be clear, not paying our debts is unconstitutional, so interest and debt to foreigners gets paid, period. That is not a choice.

Yes, unfortunately, this fact guarantees that the shortfall for non-debt related spending will be somewhere in the neighborhood of $2 trillion per annum, if we add to last year's $1.7 trillion deficit the $300 billion or so in annual interest payments.

Everyone's going to get the hurt, it seems.

You Touch my SSI and the dog gets it
kill-this-dog.jpg

Yes, unfortunately, this fact guarantees that the shortfall for non-debt related spending will be somewhere in the neighborhood of $2 trillion per annum, if we add to last year's $1.7 trillion deficit the $300 billion or so in annual interest payments.

Everyone's going to get the hurt, it seems.

OK. So you didn't answer the question. Yes, there is a shortfall. We all know that; its been in all the papers. You do not bring us news.

So... answer the question: Who goes unpaid? Who do you see as holding the short straw?

all the sudden a republican cares about them getting there checks...that they want to get rid of anyway.

How can you believe the things you believe? Can you name just ONE R politician who has proposed ending social security? Just one...

Why do you chose to believe whatever the D party and their media tell you? Are you incapable of thinking for yourself?

One of my theories as to why people become like you is it is just easier to accept what the left elite tell you to believe.

OK. So you didn't answer the question. Yes, there is a shortfall. We all know that; its been in all the papers. You do not bring us news.

So... answer the question: Who goes unpaid? Who do you see as holding the short straw?

I think I answered it when I said "Everyone's going to get the hurt."

There is no program that can be left untouched, including the entitlement programs, if we're to find $2 trillion worth of savings.

How can you believe the things you believe? Can you name just ONE R politician who has proposed ending social security? Just one...

Why do you chose to believe whatever the D party and their media tell you? Are you incapable of thinking for yourself?

One of my theories as to why people become like you is it is just easier to accept what the left elite tell you to believe.
.....Not (exactly) a left elite concept....​

"He thought he thought he could get anyone to believe anything he said, and the more outrageous is was, the more they would believe it."

I think I answered it when I said "Everyone's going to get the hurt."

There is no program that can be left untouched, including the entitlement programs, if we're to find $2 trillion worth of savings.
How 'bout we start with some fair & balanced TAXE$?
:confused:

Clearly, Obama is playing politics with a volatile issue, just as the "conservatives" are doing when they rant about ending "entitlements", which are mainly social security and medicare.

Nobody, but nobody is addressing the issue of deficit spending in a realistic way.

Clearly, Obama is playing politics with a volatile issue, just as the "conservatives" are doing when they rant about ending "entitlements", which are mainly social security and medicare.

Nobody, but nobody is addressing the issue of deficit spending in a realistic way.

What is it that Obama has done that makes you say he is playing politics?

It looks to me like he has played this with seriousness and has reached for agreement and compromise at every step. How many times have Republicans made demands, had their demands accepted, and then changed their demands? Republicans are refusing to take yes for an answer.

What is it that Obama has done that makes you say he is playing politics?

It looks to me like he has played this with seriousness and has reached for agreement and compromise at every step. How many times have Republicans made demands, had their demands accepted, and then changed their demands? Republicans are refusing to take yes for an answer.

You really need to find more sources of information/news. Your description of current events is like something straight out of MSLSD.

You really need to find more sources of information/news. Your description of current events is like something straight out of MSLSD.

I see. No discussion. Just so I will understand the discussion better, would you have a preferred source for where I should find out what Republicans are actually doing? Boehner's and McConnell's comments are not sufficient?

Werbung:
I see. No discussion. Just so I will understand the discussion better, would you have a preferred source for where I should find out what Republicans are actually doing? Boehner's and McConnell's comments are not sufficient?

The Rs are doing all sorts of things, but your assertion that BO is clean as the driven snow is not correct. He is playing politics just like the Rs.

BO is probably the most politically ideological man ever to be president.

Back