Real poor people get richer

Dr.Who

More good stuff from Thomas Sowel

http://www.thenewamerican.com/opinion/thomas-sowell/9696-numbers-games-a-the-top-one-percent

"One of the things that has struck me, when I have gone on luxury cruise ships, is that most of the passengers look like they are older than the captain — and luxury cruise ships don't have juveniles as captains.

The reason for the elderly clientele is fairly simple: Most people don't reach the point when they can afford to travel on luxury cruise ships until they have worked their way up the income ladder over a long period of years.

The relationship between age and income is not hard to understand. It usually takes years to acquire the skills and experience that high-paying jobs require, or to build up a clientele for those in business or the professions.

But those in the media and in politics who are currently up in arms, denouncing income inequalities, seldom mention age as a factor in those inequalities.

The shrill rhetoric about differences in income proceeds as if they are talking about income inequalities between different classes of people. It would be hard to get the public all worked up over the fact that young people just starting out in their careers are not making nearly as much money as their parents or grandparents make.

Differences in wealth between the young and the old are even greater than differences in income. Households headed by someone 65 years old and older have more than 15 times as much wealth as households headed by someone under 35 years of age.

But these are not different classes of people, as so often insinuated in runaway political rhetoric. Everybody who is 65 years old was once under 35 years of age. And most people under 35 years of age will someday be 65 years old.

Differences in age are just one of the reasons why the insinuations about income and wealth that are thrown around in the media and in politics are often remote from reality.

While the rhetoric is about people, the statistics are almost invariably about abstract income brackets.

It is easier and cheaper to collect statistics about income brackets than it is to follow actual flesh and blood people as they move massively from one income bracket to another over the years.

More important, statistical studies that follow particular individuals over the years often reach diametrically opposite conclusions from the conclusions reached by statistical studies that follow income brackets over the years.

Currently we are hearing a lot in the media and in politics about the "top one percent" of income earners who are supposedly getting an ever-increasing share of the nation's income.

That is absolutely true if you are talking about income brackets. It is totally untrue if you are talking about actual flesh and blood people.

The Internal Revenue Service can follow individual people over the years because they can identify individuals from their Social Security numbers. During recent years, when "the top one percent" as an income category has been getting a growing share of the nation's income, IRS data show that actual flesh and blood people who were in the top one percent in 1996 had their incomes go down — repeat, down — by a whopping 26 percent by 2005.

How can both sets of statistics be true at the same time? Because most people who are in the top one percent in a given year do not stay in that bracket over the years.

If we are being serious — as distinguished from being political — then our concern should be with what is happening to actual flesh and blood human beings, not what is happening to abstract income brackets.

There is the same statistical problem when talking about "the poor" as there is when talking about "the rich."

A University of Michigan study showed that most of the working people who were in the bottom 20 percent of income earners in 1975 were also in the top 40 percent at some point by 1991. Only 5 percent of those in the bottom quintile in 1975 were still there in 1991, while 29 percent of them were now in the top quintile.

People in the media and in politics choose statistics that seem to prove what they want to prove. But the rest of us should become aware of what games are being played with numbers."

Werbung:
saw a report some months ago pointing out the rather obvious fact that as the quality of high schoolers entering the workforce declined, so did their earning capacity. if you want an explanation as to why young workers are so much more removed from the high achievers, you don't have took far.

A University of Michigan study showed that most of the working people who were in the bottom 20 percent of income earners in 1975 were also in the top 40 percent at some point by 1991. Only 5 percent of those in the bottom quintile in 1975 were still there in 1991, while 29 percent of them were now in the top quintile."

Do you think this part would still hold true today? I know I am better off than I was 15 years ago but honestly not that much better off. I probably make a little more with the cost of living exc. but mostly I make better choices with my money. I feel like the same opportunity isn’t there for today’s 25-30 year olds that was there when I was that age.

Do you think this part would still hold true today? I know I am better off than I was 15 years ago but honestly not that much better off. I probably make a little more with the cost of living exc. but mostly I make better choices with my money. I feel like the same opportunity isn’t there for today’s 25-30 year olds that was there when I was that age.

It might very well be that we live in tougher economic times than we did in the 90's, in fact I think it is true. Does that mean that a young person cannot work hard and save money to acquire wealth and greater income by the time he becomes older? I doubt the lower opportunity is so much lower that people cannot still acquire wealth and increased earnings. I do not think that people in different age brackets have a potential for earning that is so very different. If a middle aged person can make it then a young adult can make it too. The greatest factor in becoming wealthier and having a higher salary is experience and no matter how bad the economy is hard working people still gain experience as they grow. Even a young person living in a tough economy can save and invest so that by the time he is older his savings have grown. Even a young person in a bad economy can increase his education and his resume experience so that by the time he is older he has some accomplishments that will get him the better jobs. One thing that I notice is that a lot of young adults in their 20's are working behind the counter at McDonalds. But I personally have met several older adults who have worked their way up at McDonalds from counter person to asst manager to manager and eventually to owning some kind of their own business including a McDonalds. I agree that economic times are harder than they were but I do not agree that opportunity is so bad that people cannot gain experience. In fact, bad economic times even create certain opportunites that did not exist in a good economy. It does take hard work to look for those opportunities and to make them work or to try again and again when they fail until one succeeds. Too many people think that they wll just get a job at the mill and all will work out or that they will work their way up the ladder and all will work out. But that is not always true, when one plan does not work out one needs to shift gears. If some people are making it then many people can make it and sure enough some people are making it. Why aren't the ones who are not making it not doing the same things as the ones who are? I once heard the story of a man who had been addicted to drugs and his only possession was a found bike. He worked hard selling rolls of aluminum foil from door to door, expanded what he sold, and eventually became a millionaire. I personally knew a person who also only owned a bike and he rode it to fix people's computers in their homes. He eventually went on to found a very geeky company worth millions if not more. I do not think that opportunities like this do not still exist. Easy opportunities may not exist but opportunities do.

I wanna sue the school,County and state when i was abused by a teacher 35 years ago.

I wanna sue McDonalds they made me develop type 2 diabetes.

I would not count on suing people as the ticket to future prosperity. Selling pencils on the street corner is probably a better bet than that.

Doc makes good points related to this query (of course) but I suspect that overreaching government controls have had a seriously limiting effect on this. as the founder of Home Depot pointed out a while back, it would be impossible to form his company today due to added regulation. its sad that our government seeks to make this country no lon ger the land of opportunity by insisting on picking winners and losers.

Doc makes good points related to this query (of course) but I suspect that overreaching government controls have had a seriously limiting effect on this. as the founder of Home Depot pointed out a while back, it would be impossible to form his company today due to added regulation. its sad that our government seeks to make this country no lon ger the land of opportunity by insisting on picking winners and losers.

You make a good point too. I said earlier that selling pencils on the streetcorner might be better than trying to sue someone in terms of earning income.

But even to sell pencils if one wanted to do it legally one would need to get a permit that might cost maybe $600/year. Someone who was poor enough that the first job they could do would be selling pencils could not afford the permit.

You make a good point too. I said earlier that selling pencils on the streetcorner might be better than trying to sue someone in terms of earning income.

But even to sell pencils if one wanted to do it legally one would need to get a permit that might cost maybe $600/year. Someone who was poor enough that the first job they could do would be selling pencils could not afford the permit.

now some portion of all these regs sounded good at the time they were imposed (some overly aggressive vendors or harm of tax paying business nearby or the like) but our old friend "unintended consequences" is relentless in its application.

could you not issue permits for free ? why this need for more and more money ? maybe set some sort of acceptable distance from a tax paying pencil seller to avoid un fair competition?

gotta think things through.

It might very well be that we live in tougher economic times than we did in the 90's, in fact I think it is true. Does that mean that a young person cannot work hard and save money to acquire wealth and greater income by the time he becomes older? I doubt the lower opportunity is so much lower that people cannot still acquire wealth and increased earnings. I do not think that people in different age brackets have a potential for earning that is so very different. If a middle aged person can make it then a young adult can make it too. The greatest factor in becoming wealthier and having a higher salary is experience and no matter how bad the economy is hard working people still gain experience as they grow. Even a young person living in a tough economy can save and invest so that by the time he is older his savings have grown. Even a young person in a bad economy can increase his education and his resume experience so that by the time he is older he has some accomplishments that will get him the better jobs. One thing that I notice is that a lot of young adults in their 20's are working behind the counter at McDonalds. But I personally have met several older adults who have worked their way up at McDonalds from counter person to asst manager to manager and eventually to owning some kind of their own business including a McDonalds. I agree that economic times are harder than they were but I do not agree that opportunity is so bad that people cannot gain experience. In fact, bad economic times even create certain opportunites that did not exist in a good economy. It does take hard work to look for those opportunities and to make them work or to try again and again when they fail until one succeeds. Too many people think that they wll just get a job at the mill and all will work out or that they will work their way up the ladder and all will work out. But that is not always true, when one plan does not work out one needs to shift gears. If some people are making it then many people can make it and sure enough some people are making it. Why aren't the ones who are not making it not doing the same things as the ones who are? I once heard the story of a man who had been addicted to drugs and his only possession was a found bike. He worked hard selling rolls of aluminum foil from door to door, expanded what he sold, and eventually became a millionaire. I personally knew a person who also only owned a bike and he rode it to fix people's computers in their homes. He eventually went on to found a very geeky company worth millions if not more. I do not think that opportunities like this do not still exist. Easy opportunities may not exist but opportunities do.

Oh I think there is real opportunity today, I just think it was a little more easy 15-20 years ago. And I remember 20 years ago thinking my mom had an easier time at it than I did :) But anyone who wants to make it can make it. I think the one thing that worries me is job security and retirement. When I was my son’s age I could pick from a number of jobs that had job security, retirement and medical/dental plan. I know of none hiring now that offer any of that, though they might offer a higher wage than I got at that same time. I guess he needs to think about his retirement differently than I did, I had to think of mine a little differently than my mom’s generation too.

Werbung:

Yeah I wish the government would do us all a favor and get the hell out of our way.

Back